Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought there was an N spec for this tire but couldn't find it when I recently had to replace my OEM rears due to a bubble in the sidewall. Hasn't Porsche approved that tire? Mine are 19s.
Anyone know if the P4S will come in N spec? I'd like to get those when I need to replace the fronts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
PSS were available in N spec.
I think that PS4S also have N variation.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Couldn't find either in stock sizes for 19s. Niether through Tire Rack or my local Michelin dealer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The PSS has just been replaced by the PS 4S, BTW.
Not sure about 19" but Tire Rack still has Michelin PSS available for 18" which were stock on my '08 Cayman. Available July 7. I'm ordering two for the rear. I have two six month old 18" PSS on the front.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Checked the Michelin website and found there were no N rated Super Sport tires listed for the current or 981 generation Boxster/Cayman. There are N rated 19" rears for the 987.2 generation. There are no N rated Pilot Sport 4s listed. My recommendation is to get the Pilot Sport 4s tires and don't worry about them being not N rated. I have the Pilot Sport 4s tires on my 987.2 Boxster and find they are superior to Super Sports. My Boxster is an everyday driver and weekend autocrosser with over 90k miles. Tires that I used prior to the Pilot Sport 4s included both Super Sport and Sport Cup 2.

·
Registered
628 Posts
i believe you're right - for 20" size you have Goodyear F1 and some Pirelli's.
PSS are N rated for 19".

·
Registered
188 Posts
Checked the Michelin website and found there were no N rated Super Sport tires listed for the current or 981 generation Boxster/Cayman. There are N rated 19" rears for the 987.2 generation. There are no N rated Pilot Sport 4s listed. My recommendation is to get the Pilot Sport 4s tires and don't worry about them being not N rated. I have the Pilot Sport 4s tires on my 987.2 Boxster and find they are superior to Super Sports. My Boxster is an everyday driver and weekend autocrosser with over 90k miles. Tires that I used prior to the Pilot Sport 4s included both Super Sport and Sport Cup 2.
Could you tell me why you feel they are better than PSS's? Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could you tell me why you feel they are better than PSS's? Thanks.
Currently I have approximately 6,000 miles and 9 autocrosses on the 4s tires. This year my overall placings at autocross are better than they when I last ran the Super Sports and about the same as last year when I ran the Cup 2 tires. The one improvement is that I am not chewing up the outer edge of the front tires autocrossing which was a problem with the Super Sports. There has been no change in the car other than tires. Even the alignment is the same. It will be interesting to find out how long the rear tires last as the Super Sports were down to the wear bars in the rear in approximately 13,000 miles. Basically my feeling is that with the 4s you have a tire that you can drive everyday and not be let down because of tires when doing an autocross. If you don't push them to the limit they are probably no better, except possibly in the wet, than the Super Sport and other comparable street tires.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really, I thought I read the PSS still had a slight advantage in the dry?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.