Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to make sure the battery wasn't flat. All dry around here in Seattle (though cold at 28), so I fire it up. I get a new message indicating the left rear tire is low (21 psi). Sure enough, it is low and I find a nail in the center of the tread.

I do track this car on these tires, hitting about 135 on the straights before chickening out. The tires are 26 months old, have 6k miles on them, and I believe 5 track days. Plenty of tread left, though the tread shows obvious signs of being on the track and they do take a lap before they start to stick back to the road.

What to do?

1) Replace the single tire with the same one?
2) Replace the rubber on all four corners?
3) Repair the existing tire?

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I'd plug it and patch it from the inside too, although it's not recommended by Porsche to do so. When I first had this problem, that's the feedback I got and that's what I did... no issues.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I won't run on track with a patched tire, despite my tire shop saying the patch is rated for 150mph. I take that as 150 in a straight line, not 150-40 and round a hairpin.

I think Porsche recommend not having more than 20% difference in tread on the same axle, so I'd probably replace both tires on that axle, unless there was more than about 7mm of tread on the other tire. Or you could get one new tire shaved to the same depth as the other tire. Tirerack will shave tires to any depth you want, but you have to ring to ask for the service.

Or take this as an opportunity to replace all 4 tires with something else I'd like to try, like Michelin PSS.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I got a screw in my rear tire with about 5,000 miles on the car. Three shops would not plug it becuase it was too close to the wall. I got an Independent guy to plug it for cash only with no receipt and a wink and a nod. No issues and now at 14,000 miles.

I don't and would not track the car in this condition though.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Have repaired a tire with plug and patch and then tracked it. But it was my choice, same as this would be yours.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I see 2 options.

Plug and patch from the inside as previously stated. As the nail is in the center of the tread, not near a sidewall you should be fine. Was the nail a railroad spike or a tiny finish nail? Size does matter. Was the tire cut or torn - missing pieces of tread or a just a small hole?

Replace just this tire. Measure the tread depth of the current vs. a new tire. I didn't know Porsche has a spec for tire depth when replacing one tire on the same axle, so I'll defer to others. Tire Rack can shave a tire to whatever depth you need.

I would not replace both tires on that axle, or all 4 either, as you said you have a lot of wear left in the current tires. No sense making the tire companies rich.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got a screw in my rear tire with about 5,000 miles on the car. Three shops would not plug it becuase it was too close to the wall. I got an Independent guy to plug it for cash only with no receipt and a wink and a nod. No issues and now at 14,000 miles.

I don't and would not track the car in this condition though.
I could not find a single tire shop or indy that would plug my tire. One national tire shop told me about a pending law suit do to a failed plugged tire. They all said it was to close to the side wall, but it looked far enough away to me. My tire had less than 500 miles on it!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I had the same issue, I got a screw about and inch near the sidewall which is the boarder line for state regulations in Ca. The shop said the plug would be fine but it is illegal for them to do so and they would be held liable in the event of a problem. I bought a patch kit and did it myself and that was 16k miles ago. All is well and that tire will be replaced soon due to normal wear. That being said, I would not track my car with a plug or patch, the risk is too high for an ugly situation to occur.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
What size and type of tire do you have? I have a 981 PZero 20in rear tire (almost new, only about 2k miles, 8/32 thread depth) that is accumulating dust since I had a nail in the other one where it cannot be patched.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Are you saying it's illegal in the US to plug a tire of any car make?

·
3,263 Posts
It is legal as long as it gets plugged inside the belt line of the tire.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
No it is not. There are some guidelines from tire manufacturer's but no uniform laws that apply across all states equally.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
No it is not. There are some guidelines from tire manufacturer's but no uniform laws that apply across all states equally.
You should pass a law to stamp every nail/screw head with the buyer's ID number. If ever found in a tyre, he should be sentenced to sit on a needles chair.

Then and only then we'll live in a flat-tyre-free world.

PS I should be in your Congress ;)

Reactions: Trev450

·
Registered
994 Posts
What size and type of tire do you have? I have a 981 PZero 20in rear tire (almost new, only about 2k miles, 8/32 thread depth) that is accumulating dust since I had a nail in the other one where it cannot be patched.
19" Pilot Sports on my Cayman.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The nail went through my set of 19s that I have on there. Put the 18s on the car for now and yanked the nail out...tire is now flat, of course. I believe I have road hazard protection insurance on these, so I should get a free tire out of it. Never was a huge fan of these Contenentals, the 18s have the Pilot Super Sports on them and work quite a bit better.

·
3,263 Posts
The nail went through my set of 19s that I have on there. Put the 18s on the car for now and yanked the nail out...tire is now flat, of course. I believe I have road hazard protection insurance on these, so I should get a free tire out of it. Never was a huge fan of these Contenentals, the 18s have the Pilot Super Sports on them and work quite a bit better.

Yikes, that is a long nail. I hope it didn't damage the wheel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts