Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Napleton Racing and Kevin Gleason Score a Pair of Fourth-Place Finishes in the Season-Opening Pirelli World Challenge Doubleheader in St. Petersburg

Late Action In Both Sprints Doesn’t Stop Gleason From Fourth-Place Finishes In Brand New No. 16 Napleton Racing Porsche Cayman S

St. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 24, 2013) – Napleton Racing and Kevin Gleason scored a pair of fourth-place GTS class finishes this weekend in the No. 16 Napleton Racing Porsche Cayman S after surviving some late-race fireworks in both rounds of the season-opening Pirelli World Challenge Championships doubleheader on the streets of St. Petersburg.

Debuting a brand new Cayman S built in just 19 days after being taken off the Napleton Porsche of Westmont dealership showroom floor less than a month ago, Gleason and the Napleton Racing team were competitive all weekend in St. Petersburg. Gleason ranked no lower than fifth in any practice session, qualified third on Friday and ran in the lead pack in both races on Saturday and Sunday from the drop of the green flag.

“I guess I am happy finishing fourth, but you always want to do better in races, so I am a little disappointed I got caught up and missed the podium in the second race today,” Gleason said. “But to get out with P4 in both races and have the car in one piece is a positive way to start the season off.”

Gleason started third in both races and was running in that position just ahead of reigning GTS Champion P.D. Cunningham in the closing minutes of the Sunday sprint when the leaders encountered some lapped traffic.

“I was running P3, everything was going great, I had a good pace going but toward the end I caught a GT car that was going really slow,” Gleason said. “He just wasn’t paying attention. He really blocked me pretty bad and P.D. just got around and was able to get by me.”

In Saturday’s race, Gleason was in fifth and pressuring Cunningham and Lawson Aschenbach in the late stages in a battle for the final podium spot.

“Yesterday I was running in fifth place, we had a late restart and everybody was bunched up and together for a few laps,” Gleason said. “I pulled out to just show P.D. Cunningham the nose. It was really bumpy on the inside, I got into the ABS and the pedal went hard and I ended up making contact with Aschenbach in third place. It was totally an accident and I felt really bad about it. I talked to him about, I have never spun anybody in my life, it’s not how I race, and he was really understanding about it.”

Despite his mixed feelings about the pair of fourth-place finishes, Gleason did leave St. Petersburg certain about his team’s prospects for the season.

“There’s a lot of optimism for this year,” Gleason said. “I have a lot of confidence in the team, we are going to bounce back from this weekend and we are going to push as hard as we can to get better. I can improve behind the wheel, we are just going to keep working hard and keep getting better, and I am really excited for the rest of the season. We are just going to get after it, get on the podium and win some races.”

Next up for Napleton Racing and Kevin Gleason is Round Three of the Pirelli World Challenge, April 19 – 21, on the streets of Long Beach as part of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. The race will be streamed live online at www.world-challgetv.com. Find more information at Pirelli World Challenge and follow on Twitter @WCRacing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Any chance of attaching a "spoiler alert" to the title line of future Pirelli World Challenge race result posts? It sucks to have to wait weeks, but I was hoping to catch the race later on the NBC Sports Network and be able to watch it with no prior knowledge of events or the outcome.:helpme:

Thanks...Firstin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts