Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Oh man, my favorite kind of thread! I have way too many to post so I'll snap a picture later this afternoon and post that. I think I'm hovering around 100 though.

From your list, I really regret not going to Gila Cliff Dwellings when I was -relatively- close. I really want to go there. I did all the southern Arizona ones when I was living out there this past winter. Chiricahua was amazing. I did the long loop and hiked the remaining 2 or 3 miles with a gentleman in his late 80s who spent his early years as a contractor working on the Pacific Crest Trail. Very enjoyable time spent with him.
I also believe cycling Organ Pipes is a fantastic way to see it all, if you have the endurance. I made a figure 8 out of the two loops. It worked out to be around 64 miles, iirc.

Most recently, I was in Iowa for RAGBRAI (bicycle event) and got there with enough time to ensure I had a few hours to spend hiking around Effigy Mounds. Some really nice trails there. Some really annoying mosquitos lol.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Have heard that the RAGBRAI in Iowa is quite the event. We have discovered several areas new to us doing organized bike rides. The Permian Basin Bicycle club sponsors the Cyclefest Bike Tour and Hill Climb. The hill climb is at Mt Locke going up to the McDonald Observatory. After doing this, we then explored the Big Bend four times a year for over ten years.
When down there, a good place to get out and stretch the legs is at Jim Hall's Chaparral car collection located in Midland. Missed in June the Chaparral 2 live drive with a dinner and Q&A with Jim Hall.
It’s a must-do event if you enjoy cycling, people, food and drinks! I can’t recommend it enough and I’ll be heading ba k next year for the 50th anniversary.
I’ll also keep Cyclefest on the radar in case one of my TX trip aligns with the event!

·
Registered
968 Posts
As promised…current NPS map. Also started doing pins from each place, but got into that game a little late so it’s lagging behind my overall total count. Doesn’t help that not every NPS location does a pin either.
Font Rectangle Pattern Screenshot Circle

World Light Nature Rectangle Map

1 - 3 of 3 Posts