Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Cayman S . From the photos and spec sheet, it appears that it lacks PCM. I know that I can add that for $4K, but was looking for something less expensive. To my surprise, while aftermarket head units are available for older Caymans, I cannot find any for this model year. If any of you have succeeded in upgrading the head unit, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Jon

·
Registered
209 Posts
Have you looked at Crutchfield?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did look at Crutchfield. If you enter the specs for the car, you are told that nothing is available for a new head unit. If you drill down, there are lots of head units that say that the fit is not certain.

I was not looking for recommendations of web sites. I was looking for actual Porsche owners who have successfully installed an aftermarket head unit in their car.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Did you try searching through P9? This subject has been discussed many times and people have successfully changed head units. They may not be active on P9 anymore and won't see your post.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found some stuff on P9, but most of it was very old, and some of the solutions were too vague to be useful. I was hoping for something more specific. I can search again.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Here is one of the more recent and detailed post with a few options including the source for the faceplate kit that will be required for an aftermarket unit. If anything it will give you an idea of what you are up against

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2014 Cayman and I installed a Kenwood Head unit to replace my factory radio. It was a fairly simple install (not including the amps in the trunk). If you do it get the dash kit from Suncoast and it makes the job easy due to the inclusion of the factory wiring harness and the trim plate. The most difficult part was the backup camera which require the removal of the rear bumper cover since I wanted it to look factory. Well worth the effort. I picked Kenwood based on my prior experience with the brand and their use of Garmin GPS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2014 Cayman and I installed a Kenwood Head unit to replace my factory radio. It was a fairly simple install (not including the amps in the trunk). If you do it get the dash kit from Suncoast and it makes the job easy due to the inclusion of the factory wiring harness and the trim plate. The most difficult part was the backup camera which require the removal of the rear bumper cover since I wanted it to look factory. Well worth the effort. I picked Kenwood based on my prior experience with the brand and their use of Garmin GPS.
Were I to use a Kenwood Head Unit, what parameters are important to ensure a proper fit? Height? Width? Depth? What unit did you purchase, and what were its parameters (height, width, depth, etc)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jon, I have a Kenwood DNX-574S. I chose that because at the time it had Garmin GPS, and CarPlay. I'm sure by now they have updated that model. I would guess you can go to the Kenwood website to get the dimensions but most head units are standard sizes. In a 981 there is a lot of room in that dash. A lot depends on what audio system your car originally came with as well. I had the bare bones stock radio with bluetooth, so everything was very straight forward as I was also installing an amp. If you have Bose, or one of the upgraded systems it's a more complex deal.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The DNX-574S looks to be double DIN which is also what our DMX906S is. I think it's safe to say that most double DIN units should fit. There's room around the unit that requires use of an aftermarket bracket & bezel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts