Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I pulled up my map and saw immediately that it was lost. The arrow showing direction of travel is still oriented correctly, but the location is off by 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I restarted the car and even tried to reset the nav function but it is still wrong. HAs anyone experienced this? Its worked perfectly up to this point. I have version 4.63 on my PCM 3.1 unit, btw.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reset it by turning off the ignition, removing the key, and then switching the maps back on before locking the car. I left it for an hour or so and it works normally now. It has to be outside where a good satellite signal is present.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nav has gone out a couple of more times since my last post, now it won't reset, I've gone through the procedure several times. I guess it's just a bad unit and the only fix is a new PCM.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My flood Boxster has the NAV map stuck on Texas. The GPS location appears to be correct for SW Ohio. Note the NAV antenna is up in the windshield roof console/mirror area. The wart mounted on the roof top (Cayman) or rear trunk lid (Boxster) is for the Satellite radio only.

V6

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My antenna is on the cowl below the windshield, as is the sat radio antenna, as I added PCM to my car. I don't think its the antenna, this has happened before and I've reset it but the reset procedure isn't working now. It was off by a couple of miles, but yesterday was off by 50-60 miles.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried several more times to reset my NAV without success. It's now off by almost 200 miles, and I'm wondering if the dealer could do anything about it or is the only fix a new PCM?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've tried several more times to reset my NAV without success. It's now off by almost 200 miles, and I'm wondering if the dealer could do anything about it or is the only fix a new PCM?
My NAV was doing the same thing! I took my car in this week and the dealer said it is a know issue. Only fix is to replace the PCM. I am thankfully still under warranty. My new unit will get installed next week. What year is your car? Mine is a 2015 CS.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I thought. Unfortunately my PCM is an add-on bought from eBay, documented in another thread on this forum subject(swapping CDR-31 for PCM). I don't really use the nav feature much, just like to have the map available sometimes. At this point I'm not willing to shell out another $1500 for a used unit plus coding, so I guess I'm stuck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's what I thought. Unfortunately my PCM is an add-on bought from eBay, documented in another thread on this forum subject(swapping CDR-31 for PCM). I don't really use the nav feature much, just like to have the map available sometimes. At this point I'm not willing to shell out another $1500 for a used unit plus coding, so I guess I'm stuck.
Sorry to hear! Frustrating is an understatement.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With all the hackers out there, I wonder if someone isn't repairing these things. I've bought adapters from Hong Kong and Miami to make a 718 steering wheel work and a back-up camera work on the Porsche screen, so it would seem somewhere there's an entrepreneur fixing the NAV feature, but I've yet to locate one.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I spoke too soon, a quick Google search showed several nav repair shops, most seem to be in the UK unfortunately. I've sent an email request to one so we'll see. It would be great if one can fix the nav.

·
Registered
416 Posts
same issue with mine. Had to had the PCM replaced twice under warranty.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems most of the repair sites are located either in UK or Australia. I've emailed one in the US but only got an automatic reply so far. I'm not against shipping that far but it would seem as big a market that Porsche is here there would be several places doing this. I can find plenty that will repair the sound parts, radio, CD player, etc. but not the NAV.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well yesterday I pulled up the map just to see where it thought I was, and it was correct. I haven't done anything lately to try to reset it, it just did it on its own. I have no confidence it will last for any amount of time, but it was nice to see it had "found" itself. I had begun to wonder if my antenna was defective but this proves that isn't the case. I'm still searching for someplace (preferably in the U.S.) that will repair a defective NAV unit, so if anyone has a source please pass it along to me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Mitch:

Do you have the factory antenna setup? Is it possible that you are not getting getting good information from the satellites?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, my antenna is on the cowl at the base of the winds, as is the XM antenna. It's working well right now so I can't believe it's the antenna. The factory NAV antenna is in the mirror housing, so not much difference.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The last few times I've used the NAV it's has been correct, except once. Very strange. I never did get a reply from the US repair company, can't believe they are all in UK or OZ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.