Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I pulled up my map and saw immediately that it was lost. The arrow showing direction of travel is still oriented correctly, but the location is off by 1/4 to 1/2 mile. I restarted the car and even tried to reset the nav function but it is still wrong. HAs anyone experienced this? Its worked perfectly up to this point. I have version 4.63 on my PCM 3.1 unit, btw. 2016 CGTS and the PCM wasn't standard to the car, I added it last year, but its worked perfectly until now. Also, when I pulled up the location function it shows latitude and longitude (don't know if they are correct), but no elevation so something is funky. I wondered if the GPS satellites were off line or something but my Google maps function on my phone was spot on.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mitch, GPS uses a number of satellites to locate you. The more your car can see “in the sky” the more accurate it is about where you are. I can;t remember exactly how many it needs to know your altitude but it is more than a few.

In-dash systems like the PCM also have access to the wheel “ticks” registered by the ABS system. They use these to know how far you’ve gone when you go into a tunnel or a parking garage or something.

It is probable that your PCM just lost track of some number of satellites and doesn’t know exactly where it is right now. I would take your car out to a safe location outdoors away from building and trees, turn your car off, turn the PCM on by pushing the power button), select “map” and then lock the doors and leave it alone for a while.

It should sort itself out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know my first GPS, a handheld Magellan I got free for buying a set of Bridgestone tires, had to lock onto 3 satellites in order to get a fix on location. I don't know if that's the number but I suspect it is, our BMW can show the number of satellites tracking, and it usually shows between 3 and 5. I'm not certain I follow your instructions, if I lock the car I have to remove the key, so the PCM will be turned off. Does the nav continue to work without power? I don't see how.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine did the same thing several months ago after updating to the latest software/nav disc. Took it to the dealer 3 times and they did resets and reprogramming but problems just got worse. Turned out the CDR-24 head unit had gone out after sending off for diagnostics. Choices were repair, replace or rip out and “modernize”. After weighing all options and costs, replaced the CDR-24 with a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX, reused the Bose amp and speakers and couldn’t be happier! The cabin of a Boxster is never going to be an audiophiles dream but love having Apple CarPlay, upgraded sounds, bigger screen, etc.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I know my first GPS, a handheld Magellan I got free for buying a set of Bridgestone tires, had to lock onto 3 satellites in order to get a fix on location. I don't know if that's the number but I suspect it is, our BMW can show the number of satellites tracking, and it usually shows between 3 and 5. I'm not certain I follow your instructions, if I lock the car I have to remove the key, so the PCM will be turned off. Does the nav continue to work without power? I don't see how.
The Nav will run for about 30m without “power” yes.

1. Turn off car while sitting in it.
2. Remove key.
3. Press power button on PCM (it will come back on).
4. Hit the Map button on the PCM.
5. Leave your car.
6. Lock your car.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tries the procedure today, left it out on yhre open for a couple of hours and just checked, it's still lost. It always shows somewhere in my general vicinity, just a mile or two off. Strange. I will give it another shot in a different location later just to see if it will find itself.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gave it another try this afternoon with the same results, then parked it in my garage,. 4 hours later I drove it and just for fun checked the map again and it's back to working. Maybe it will continue, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday I had opportunity to try again to reset the Nav, followed the procedure and left it unattended for over an hour. When I checked the Nav was still lost, so I pulled it into the garage. Four hours later I drove it and just checked Nav to see and it had "found" itself, and has continued to be correct since. No idea what is going on but hopefully it will continue to work properly from here on out. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't see that, it's working again, minimal bother, and I wasn't even looking for Nav but Sat radio which works perfectly. I also added a 718 GT Sport Design MF steering wheel to my car when Suncoast and my dealer said "it won't work" but it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.