Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just reading through a few post and wonder why folks whine and complain about Base, S and GTS models. Who cares whether a guy has a base or GTS. Boxster or Cayman. Sound of engines and other crazy stuff. Folks get what they want and can afford. I don't believe any of us makes payments for each other. Every car that rolls off of the line in Germany is a Porsche. Color, options and cost does not make it a nice car or bad car. It would be nice to hear guys/gals encourage others with their decisions. Last time I checked, I don't remember anybody getting paid for track times. You all own special cars. Enjoy your cars and support your fello owners.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If everybody (including OP) knew exactly what they wanted, they wouldn't come to forums like this for answers;). And in case OP hasn't noticed, there're a lot of threads asking 'S vs GTS', 'Base vs S', and many other such comparisons, that will always bring different points of view. I wouldn't call that 'whining'; people are simply expressing their opinions when asked. If OP or anybody else doesn't like certain threads, just skip them;).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My post was meant to encourage owners to support each other. I agree this forum is good to ask questions and get answers for things you want to know. And yes, you don't have to read a post or comment if you don't like it. Just was wondering why guys find the need to put others down. I will say it again. Enjoy your cars and be safe.:cool:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Compared to the many other car forums I've been active in over the years, I find this forum to be by far the most civil and supportive one around. Personal attacks are not tolerated, and it is an actively moderated board.

Everyone has their own preferences and, when asked, will express those opinions. In the four plus years I've been here, any objectionable posts have been very rare and are deleted if they go too far. If anyone asks me, I will support my decision to opt for the S over the base, but that does not even imply that I somehow am belittling those who chose the base. Same with PSE, which everyone seems to love. I don't, but that's me and my ears.

People here buy what they want, and often seek the advice of others. We all own, or will own, some variation of the 981, and enjoy sharing our experiences with our cars. It is the most supportive community of car enthusiasts I have yet come across, and I'm proud to be a long standing member of the Planet 9 community.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Compared to the many other car forums I've been active in over the years, I find this forum to be by far the most civil and supportive one around. Personal attacks are not tolerated, and it is an actively moderated board.

Everyone has their own preferences and, when asked, will express those opinions. In the four plus years I've been here, any objectionable posts have been very rare and are deleted if they go too far. If anyone asks me, I will support my decision to opt for the S over the base, but that does not even imply that I somehow am belittling those who chose the base. Same with PSE, which everyone seems to love. I don't, but that's me and my ears.

People here buy what they want, and often seek the advice of others. We all own, or will own, some variation of the 981, and enjoy sharing our experiences with our cars. It is the most supportive community of car enthusiasts I have yet come across, and I'm proud to be a long standing member of the Planet 9 community.
This. The members of P9 are a large and diverse group, many with strong opinions about their cars. There are certainly disagreements and occasionally people post things that they shouldn't, but for the most part the members are polite, helpful and respectful. A forum without a few arguments and lively discussions would get boring very quickly.

And the sound IS important!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Whip nae nae... Whip nae nae...

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't care what someone buys, but I do get annoyed by those that buy the base and then come on here, or elsewhere, and ask how to boost performance. Seems asinine to have saved money on a base, only to spend a lot more on tunes and exhaust systems trying to get up to the S level of performance.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
It could be that they bought base to save money or that they were initially very pleased but succumbed to the siren song of more power is always better. I directionally was going down that path years back. Traded 08 CS for Cayman R.........'surely having the biggest baddest of the time was nirvana'. But, low and behold, for me such was not the case. My last two Caymans have been 2.7Ls (14, 16) by design. Heck, I even went from 6MT to PDK and never looked back. Do the research, be true to yourself.............

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
C'mon amigos! Everyone knows the Boxster/Cayman is the poor, hairdresser's Porsche.:)
Real Porsche aficionados, dentists, oral surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, finance types etc. drive 911s. Whether they know how to drive or not is altogether another matter. Most are autos anyway.

The base 981 is the basest of the bunch and probably the most enjoyable with a MT. What do I know? I am joining the dentists' club. At least with a MT.
I actually wonder if I had bought a base Boxster with a MT whether I would have traded it in. It would have been closer to my long gone beloved Miata but that is another story.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
C'mon amigos! Everyone knows the Boxster/Cayman is the poor, hairdresser's Porsche.:)
Real Porsche aficionados, dentists, oral surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, finance types etc. drive 911s. Whether they know how to drive or not is altogether another matter. Most are autos anyway.

The base 981 is the basest of the bunch and probably the most enjoyable with a MT. What do I know? I am joining the dentists' club. At least with a MT.
I actually wonder if I had bought a base Boxster with a MT whether I would have traded it in. It would have been closer to my long gone beloved Miata but that is another story.
Base 981 Boxster or a new C4S - that's quite a contrast. I hope you don't forget which one you are driving - you WILL get arrested on the way home!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Base 981 Boxster or a new C4S - that's quite a contrast. I hope you don't forget which one you are driving - you WILL get arrested on the way home!
I can think of at least one person on this forum who has the best of both worlds. A base 981 Boxster and a 991.2 4s. A light tossable roadster with not so much power that you are afraid to wind it out and a seriously fast GT car. In some ways, I think the 981 S is strangely positioned. It is not blindingly fast to give you that rush that you get with a more powerful car with lots of low end torque. And it is too fast for the street if you care to rev the engine past 5000 rpms which is where it makes most of its power. Just IMHO of course. I am convinced that the base 981 is the better street car with a MT. Not saying the 981 S is not a lovely car. It is!
And to the OP, regarding the naysayers, I have read the whining on Rennlist about the 991.1 versus the 991.2 which bears an eerie similarity to the 981 versus 718 laments.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I miss my Miata too ! And I have "improved" my Base because I couldn't stretch for an S at the time and I want to make it "mine".

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you look through the posts on this board and many others, you can see that there are a couple different camps of people.

One group buys a Porsche as a status symbol, and as such, the more money they spend or the higher the spec, they believe their status to be elevated. Status is only a product of looking down on others for what they have or don't have, so it is natural that those people will peacock about their cars while deriding those of "lower" spec.

Then their are people who buy a Porsche because it is an amazing piece of engineering regardless of the spec. This group concentrates on driving and improving skills, often on the track. They aren't concerned with having a parking lot pissing contest on who has the more expensive car--any contest is usually left for the track (and usually done in friendly competition rather than one-upmanship).

It is unfortunate to share the marque with the former group, but they definitely make themselves easy to identify and place on ignore. :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.