Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only 6000miles left on my 50,000mile Porsche warrantee and, am planning like to bring my Cayman S back to the dealer to resolve an engine error code 0431. The code disappeared and then returned several times over the last few weeks and would like have if fixed before the warrantee ends.

Here are my questions: Do I need to remove the EVOMit ECU upgrade before bringing it in? Also, should I remove the Miltek catback and IPD plenum as well? I am concerned that it may cause an objection by the service department. I am mostly interested in experiences that owners have had with their dealers with regards to these upgrades.

Thanks,
-Stevie

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Most ECU upgrades or flashes are supposedly undetectable. Any mods physically observable however will probably cause the dealer to void the warranty on the part itself and possibly other related Porsche parts and systems. Sorry...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Each service dept is different on their mod friendliness. I spoke to my local dealer prior to modding and they said flashes are the thing they object to the most since when done incorrectly can cause the most severe issues. Also unless the flash purchased specifically dictates that it can't be detected, most dealers can easily figure it out. I know our member Prodgers recently had a MAF related code come up and the dealer blamed the flash. Peter if you're reading this did that situation ever get resolved?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I've been lurking on many Porsche boards since 2005 when I started my Cayman obsession.

It seems that in the last 18 months or so, Porsche has really clamped down on warranty repairs if any aftermarket mods are found on the car.

I'm not familiar with the EVO software but I would definitely say remove it/flash it back before bringing it in.

The IPD is a tougher call. How much time would it take to remove?

The other X factor here is your relationship with the dealer and service department. The person who buys multiple cars from them or replaces their car once a year (I've learned that this is not unusual at least with the NY dealers I'm friendly with) will have more "pull" than someone like me who buys a Cayman in 2007 and hasn't even inquired about trading it in yet! I do drop hints about adding a 2010 or newer GT3 all the time however!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
my dealer has the attitude that as long as the mods have nothing to do with the problem they cover the issue. they even installed my plenum for me. wish you were in tampa.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I have just emailed Evolution on the subject and discovered the following feature on their webpage: "Undetectable by scan tools ". So, I am in the clear as far as the ECU is concerned?

Thanks,
-Stevie

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Stevie said:
Thanks for all your replies. I have just emailed Evolution on the subject and discovered the following feature on their webpage: "Undetectable by scan tools ". So, I am in the clear as far as the ECU is concerned?

Thanks,
-Stevie
No as scan tools may mean obdii readers and not the Porsche piwis machine you need to get a specific reply with regard to the piwis because most likely it IS detectable if Porsche looks for it with a piwis though they generally don't unless they have reason to do so,

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
This is a no-brainer. Just reflash the ECU to stock, get your warranty work done, and flash it back again. The main deal breakers here are all the mods they can easily see.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Stevie

Blitzkrieg is correct they refused to work on my car due to the modifications ,so I reflashed to stock went to another dealer (Barrier)where I bought my cayman and told them my Upgraded SRP is a Factory Porsche part and I also had a remus exhaust and they had no problem fixing my car !! They got a good chuckle when I asked If I had a TPC turbo installed would it void my warrenty :banana: My warrenty expires soon anyway .

i would deffinately UN-Flash the car before bringing it in to the dealer ,They will detect the flash no doubt.
I dont know about the IPD though -Its not a porsche part so I would call the dealer first .good luck :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree and will have the installer remove it before proceeding. Now, the Check Engine error is gone, again! Will the service department ask me to come back when it is on or, can they get history from the ECU?

Thanks,
-Steve

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE 4/9/10: More Advice Needed

Hi you guys,

Just an update to the CEL issue: The light came on again, and I got my Cayman S to the dealer this Wednesday. Diagnostics test showed the O2 sensor possible defect. Replacing the sensor (Thursday) did not improve the issue. Today, they moved the sensor to the right bank and the error remained on the left bank indicating the left cat malfunction. They will order a replacement to arrive on Monday.

Here is my dilemma: What if the right side cat fails after the warrantee is up? The dealer says if the right side fails post warrentee, I am out of luck.

In this thread, (http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/13498-ce-light-again.html) K-Man S said “Many of these have tripped one or both of the cat codes (bank 1 or 2) and Porsche dealerships are swapping them out free of charge.” Is there a Tech Bulletin regarding 2006 catalytic failures that I can reference to support K-Man S’s statement?

Thanks,
-Stevie

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: UPDATE 4/9/10: More Advice Needed

I believe the polution control devices such as the cats have a seperate warranty beyond the normal one on the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts