Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at two base model 987.2 Caymans. 2009 vs 2011, virtually identical mileage (50K), one owner cars with strong carfax reports on each. 09 is 2500 cheaper, after negotiating terms of both. 09 has couple extra features- heated seats and upgraded sound and bluetooth connectivity. My question is- What are the main differences between the two years and is the newer always better just because of age? Any input will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Well, I would chose the 2009 model due to the throttle body injection rather than DFI. The issue is carbon build up on the intake valve stem that is not easily removed on the DFI engine. No such issue with the throttle body injection. All of the other parts of the engine are the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did not know of the DFI on 2011. Im a newbie to the Porsche world. Did not think I would ever own one but these models appear to be ultra reliable and alot of car for the money. So other than the DFI the cars are basically identical?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Did not know of the DFI on 2011. Im a newbie to the Porsche world. Did not think I would ever own one but these models appear to be ultra reliable and alot of car for the money. So other than the DFI the cars are basically identical?
Yep...no major changes made between 2009 and 2012 (last MY for 987.2) other than DFI added to base. There were 'special" models, though...Spyder, R and Black Edition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am under the impression that all 9A1 2.9L Base engines in the 987.2 are NOT DFI. DFI in the Base model didn't start until the 981.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
DFI added to the base 2.9L engine in 2010. So the only 9A1 engine with throttle body injection is the 2009 2.9L engine with the Bosch ECU. The 3.4L 2009 DFI motor and all 2010 models change to Siemens ECU.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can you site a source for this? I’ve googled it multiple times and can’t find any mention of the 2.9 9A1 being DFI. I did find a post by Jake Raby that implied it was not DFI, but I can’t say it was definitive. I’d really like to know as I’m a 2011 Cayman Base owner.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
According to Edmonds, Cayman 2011 specs and features, DFI was used in both base and S models. I went back to Edmonds, Cayman 2009 specs and features showing only S with DFI. Same with 2010, then changed in 2011. If you really want to know, you can open your engine cover and take a look at where the injectors are located. If they are on the induction runner, its not a DFI motor, which has its injectors offset from the spark plug. Also, the ECU is Bosch on non DFI motors and Siemens on DFI motors. What this does is makes changing motors very difficult using a 9A1 engine in an older car, unless you use the 2.9L base engine from 2009,10 model years. Not sure how many of these base 09,10 engines are available to swap out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have decided to fly out in the morning and look at the 09 Base. I am not up on all this stuff yet but are you guys saying it is better to have the non DFI? if so , is it performance based or due to problems?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Carbon build up on the intake valve stems. Ground walnut shell through a pressure injector works, but reside could get into the cylinder head and top of pistons. The carbon bits are also very hard and could scratch the cylinder walls. The port injection induction system keeps the intakes clean. The DFI injection causes this as a blow back into the intakes valves during overlap. No cleaning agent in the air supply in the DFI system.
1581989839763.png

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, it’s such a problem they added DFI to every engine for the next decade... seriously, I wouldn’t even think twice about getting a DFI engine. Many of us have them running tens of thousands of miles on the road and the track with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
DFI added to the base 2.9L engine in 2010. So the only 9A1 engine with throttle body injection is the 2009 2.9L engine with the Bosch ECU. The 3.4L 2009 DFI motor and all 2010 models change to Siemens ECU.
@Apex1 The parts catalogs for the 987.2 do not have any DFI parts listed for the MA1.20 and only one ECU is listed for that engine across the whole 2009-2011 range. I am confident that if they made a revision like you describe, there would be some sort of indication in the parts catalog.

I know you mean port injection when you say throttle body injection.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Correct, port injection. That makes sense to carry the Bosch ECU for the base 987.2 until the end at 2011. Maybe Porsche did not make any base model in 2012? What I am getting to is there now is a selection of used engines for those owners who for whatever reason have destroyed their M97 motor, a 9A1 model that will fit without a lot of changing to the wiring and ECU. They will need another set of headers though as the heads are different. I am not sure how many of these engines end up in the recycle pool from collisions. Also does anyone know if the Boxster base is exactly the same motor? Any difference between 6MT and PDK as far as mounting and swapping goes. There are a couple of Canadian owners who were looking at LN, Flat6Innovation, Vision and others for a rebuild, but this swap would work even better if they could find a base 9A1 MA1.20 motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Model year 2009 saw the first 9A1 engines in the 987. The 2009-2012 987 is often referred to as 987 Gen II or 987.2. The 3.4-liter S engines gained Direct Fuel Injection (DFI) and outputs climbed modestly to 310 hp in the Boxster S and 320 hp in the Cayman S, once again separating the performance of the coupe and convertible. The displacement of the base model flat six was increased to 2.9 liters, good for 255 hp in the Boxster and 265 hp in the Cayman, but it was never given direct fuel injection.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts