Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to charge the battery in the Porsche. Put a battery tender/charger on the battery--clamp to positive, clamp to chassis ground.

So far, so good.

Then, like an jackass, I closed the trunk.

The car went completely dead. I managed to get the trunk open with the emergency release, and I think what probably happened is that the trunk lid hit the positive cable and shorted everything out.

My question is: did I just blow a fuse? If so, any ideas which one? Or did I fry something electronic somewhere ($$$$$$)?

Right now, the car is behaving oddly. There is an intermittent passenger airbag light, and if you rotate the key all the way to the left there is repetitive solenoid clicking that lets you pull the key out--but nothing if you rotate the key to the right.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Battery is too flat to do anything. Charge it up and hopefully all is well. You will get warning lights after replacing a battery as it runs through the diags. The key-to-the-right and nothing happening is a sign the battery is too dead. HOPEFULLY you'll be fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, new battery seems to have fixed the issue. Car fired right up.

Here's what I think happened--when I closed the frunk, the lid made contact with the clip on the positive terminal of the battery. I immediately unplugged the charger, but the short stayed in place as long as the lid was closed (it took me about 20 min to get the wheel off and get to the emergency release). This discharged the battery essentially completely.

What was throwing me off was that all the electrics in the car shut down instantly when I closed the trunk--that's what led me to think I blew a fuse. But as I think about it, what probably happened was that the short shunted all the electricity through the path of least resistance, so as soon as I closed the trunk the power going to the rest of the car dropped essentially to zero.

Anyway--thanks for the help. I won't do that again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Help! My Cayman is dead. Completely dead battery, It will not trickle charge. I don't know where the emergency trunk release is.
Any one know where it is located so I can open the trunk?

Thanks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Help! My Cayman is dead. Completely dead battery, It will not trickle charge. I don't know where the emergency trunk release is.
Any one know where it is located so I can open the trunk?

Thanks.
In case you still need the emergency release, remove your drivers side front tire and the forward wheel liner. The manual release is a short cable coming out of the frunk a few inches from the wheel well.

If you have a locking lug nut and the key is in the frunk, it is a lot harder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the video. That did the trick on the opening of the front deck lid. Now I'm charging the H7-AGM Duralast. It's still under warranty.
:cheers:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why do people do this, you can get into the Frunk without removing the wheel and is documented in the manual.

1) Pull fuse cover in the drivers footwell
2) There is a large-ish red terminal near the center, use the fuse puller and pull it out (it has copper on the outside)
3) Connect jumper cable (or use a spare battery) to that copper terminal and the negative to the latch or hinge
4) USE THE KEY to unlock the front trunk. You can't use the buttons in the car, YOU MUST USE THE FRUNK RELEASE ON THE KEY!

You can't charge the car this way, this is only to get access to the front. The only reason I could see why you'd go at it through the wheel well is if you locked the key in the car.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
The reason some people need to do this is because in the case of some battery conditions you cannot open the frunk using the fuse box method.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The reason some people need to do this is because in the case of some battery conditions you cannot open the frunk using the fuse box method.
What conditions??? My understanding is that if done proerly, this always works. Some haven't done it properly or had a bad grounding connection when they attempted it but it should always work otherwise.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
What conditions??? My understanding is that if done proerly, this always works. Some haven't done it properly or had a bad grounding connection when they attempted it but it should always work otherwise.:cheers:
A faulty frunk release solenoid would need you to access the cable. I do remember my local techs talking about how a shorted battery would also require access to the cable release. Regardless, the cable release is a backup. It certainly could have been engineered for easier access but it is what it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts