·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying my first cayman and would appreciate anyone's help in knowing:

1. how can i tell if the used cayman i'm buying has frame damage

2. water/flood damage

3. any body/paint work done

4. it's an 06 so how much warranty is left(29, 850 miles)

5. what's a good price for an 06, automatic, 29,850 miles

6. during the pre purchase inspection I will order can the mechanic tell if the catalytic converter will need to be replaced soon?

7. What are the nightmare/recurring common problems with owning a cayman?

8. The dealer says they don't have all the service records. Where can I get the records to check if the previous owner performed all scheduled maintenance?

I'd appreciate very much everyone's help since I'm buying this next week.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, you ask a lot of questions . . .

A Carfax report (based on VIN #) may tell you if it has been damaged previously. An inspection by an experienced body work mechanic might be able to discern if there has been body work/frame straightening.

The original warranty is 48mos/40,000 miles. You need to find out the exact date the warranty started to know how much you have left. A Porsche dealer could probably help you find this out.

If you don't know who previously owned the car, and there aren't any records, then it's unlikely that you will be able to know what service it received previously.

"Nightmare/recurring problems with owning a Cayman"?!? None that I'm aware of . . . would you even consider buying a car with that reputation?
(The Cayman is rated in the top 10 of Consumer Reports owner satisfaction for Sports Cars).

Are you buying from a Porsche dealer? If so, maybe you should request a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) warranty, which might help to allay some of your concerns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much roseanne for the reply. Greatly, greatly appreciate it. Here's what I have:

1. Carfax. It says on 07-2006 it was registered as a personal vehicle. Then 09-2006 it says Title Issued or updated, reg renewed, first owner reported as commercial lease vehicle. I'm confused: personal then commercial lease? For the next two years til 08 it was registered as commercial lease. In 11-09 car fax listed it as AUTO AUCTION.

2. Yes, I'll look for a porsche body shop to inspect frame damage

3. Nightmare/recurring problems. I've always heard that it's expensive to own porsches because of the high cost of maintenance. So, that was more what I was asking about, what are the costs of ownership, scheduled maintenance price, how often, what are the known things that give out periodically, breaks, ectc.

Thank you for understanding my unfamiliarity with this car everyone, and please anyone else who has info please assist. Thank you once again.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Check the search file here for maint schedule and costs, as the costs vary depending where you live, some places oil changes that are required yearly or every 20k miles can go from $150 up to $300, again some of it depends on where you live, how many dealers in the area, if you have a good relationship with them and so on just like any other vehicle.

Then there's the do it yourself method, if your half inclined tons of info here on how to do most maint. yourself, brakes and such. All in all I haven't put out alot of cash to maintain a MY08 CS bought brand new....good luck:cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts