Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Boxster S, 25,000 miles. Rarely drive in the winter but just drove it last week and everything was fine. Went to start it up yesterday and noticed it kinda sounded funny, maybe like it was missing on a cylinder. Check engine light came on and it said something about service soon. I immediately shut it off. I hooked up my Durametric cable this morning and went into the diagnostics and saw this below. I didn't see anyplace where it date stamped the code but could this be as simple as a coil pack gone bad? If so, how difficult to change? I haven't searched this yet but will after posting this. Thanks in advance for all the advice and/or help. This site has been great.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,307 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. Any way to confirm this besides towing it to a dealer 100 miles away to check or does the Durametric report I posted with this pretty much confirm it. Like I said, it ran fine last week and just did this yesterday. How much does a coil pack run? I presume you sell them and have competitive prices? I just noticed that you posted a link to it. Do you have instructions for changing or can I search that on this forum and find it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, would it be ok to drive it to a place that has a lift to do this work or would I need to tow it there? A misfiring cylinder shouldn't cause any real trouble unless you drive it extensively right? Maybe a fouled plug?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Also, would it be ok to drive it to a place that has a lift to do this work or would I need to tow it there? A misfiring cylinder shouldn't cause any real trouble unless you drive it extensively right? Maybe a fouled plug?
I wouldn't drive it very far. #6 could be sending un-burnt gas out the exhaust and could damage the cat and contaminate you're engine oil. Besides, since you don't know exactly what the problem is, I'd flat-bed it to a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic.

AFA needing a lift, I think all you need is to get under the car enough to work. Jack stands would probably work nearly as well. For instructions - look for articles/threads on changing plugs.

Also note that missing can be caused by other things - fouled plug or a compression problem in that cylinder. "Missing" codes were the 1st indication when I had a head gasket leak.

BTW, have you ever had the plugs changed? Should be done every 4 yrs regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning on changing the oil at the same time. The distance to the place with the lift is only about 3 miles at most. Yes, I know it could be something else, but it was running perfectly 1 week ago and this just happened right as I started the car. Flat bedding it to a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic means taking it at a minimum 50 miles away as I live in a small midwestern town. Closest dealer is 100 miles. If it is just a coil pack, driving it 3 miles shouldn't damage the Cat, I wouldn't think. I would've expected a fouled plug, or compression problem to rear its ugly head during driving, not on startup, but I'm no expert by any means.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other advice appreciated. I will probably order a new coil pack, and check the plug while I have it up on the lift. I may go ahead and change all plugs. Which cylinder is #6?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
#4,5,6 are on the left bank (US driver side), #6 being the rear one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It really is not too difficult to change out the #6 plug (and coil). Do a search for "spark plug replacement" and you should find a couple of places where people have posted tutorials.
Pelican Parts is one site that I recall offhand.
It is wise to use a locking extension to avoid stranding your spark plug socket down in the head. Having a swiveling ratchet and/or swivel extensions will help considerably.
Access to a lift would make the project easier, but most of us just jack up the rear of the car and access the plugs/coils that way.
I changed all six plugs this way in about 3.5 hours, and I'm certain I could do it quicker next time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I started car up today and it seems to be running fine. Hooked up Durametric and cleared that error code. Looked at cylinder misfires while running and didn't seem to be any. I think I'll replace that coil pack, and all the spark plugs while doing an oil change and brake fluid change next weekend. Thanks for all the advice and info.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Stuff happens and you may have a lucky short term reprieve. Things like this are why I have a "AAA Plus" membership. Very useful for Porsche owners, especially those who occasionally track their cars. I get free flatbed towing up to 100 miles to wherever i want when needed. Not an ad and I never worked for them. I've had AAA+ for 30 years and used the free flatbed towing a number of times, twice with one car after a really bad gas fill with a lot of water and rusty crud. Seemed like a gas station filter rupture. Also got locksmith service and fuel brought to me several times each, for free. I also insure two cars insured with AAA now. 2014 CS and 2015 RX350 for under $1500/ yr for max coverage. Saved me almost $500/ yr over the one I had, which was my best quote, Travelers, last time. I had State Farm for many years, but they have gotten way high with their quotes in recent years, especially here in FL. Never thought to ask AAA for an insurance quote before.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It's worthwhile noting that getting a CEL after the car's been sitting for a while has been documented multiple times before. Could just be one of those...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts