Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

:helpme: I need to re-boot my Parrot MKI9200 IPOD interface which hung on me, which requires me to disconnect the car's battery. Unfortunately, I am really bad mechanic person, so not too sure how does one go about disconnecting the battery. Any guidance would be really appreciated!!

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Your Owner's Manual shows pictures of the process page 239 of the '06 version. I don't know anything about the Parrot but disconnecting the car's battery to re-boot seems extreme.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
You just need to disconnect one terminal, and it's usually preferable (safer) to disconnect the Negative (ground/black/left side) terminal first. You just need a 10 mm wrench to loosen the nut on the battery cable, disconnect it for about 30 sec, then replace and retighten the cable, and you should be good to go.

(Note: you will get a transient PSM warning light on the dash when you restart your car, but it should go away within the first minute of driving).

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Yep that is what the Owner's Manual says but why do you have to disconnect the battery? Isn't there a fuse that could be removed? The battery box cover is difficult for some of us to put back together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep that is what the Owner's Manual says but why do you have to disconnect the battery? Isn't there a fuse that could be removed? The battery box cover is difficult for some of us to put back together.
The fuse is located deep inside the audio system so its difficult to open the whole thing and yank out the fuse. Any side effects from disconnecting the battery? It does sound a little extreme, but this is the second time the parrot has hung up on me within a week and bringing it to the servicer is pretty troublesome, so trying to find an easier solution. Although a longer term better solution is to get another ipod interface

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You just need to disconnect one terminal, and it's usually preferable (safer) to disconnect the Negative (ground/black/left side) terminal first. You just need a 10 mm wrench to loosen the nut on the battery cable, disconnect it for about 30 sec, then replace and retighten the cable, and you should be good to go.

(Note: you will get a transient PSM warning light on the dash when you restart your car, but it should go away within the first minute of driving).
Thanks! Appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Hello
My Cayman will not be in use for about 2 weeks and I don't have a battery tender. Will disconnecting the battery cause any problems?
JDH

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
No disconnecting the battery will not cause anything but a brief few moments of things being reset (a drive around the block cures that). Just keep the front trunk open so you can get back to the battery to reconnect it.

(exception person will be along soon to tell you that they left their car for a couple of dozen years and the car started right up and to be fair if your battery is in good condition two weeks is probably safe. But only you know its condition.)

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
curious...is there a manual release for the front trunk in case the batter is dead dead?
Oooh, better duck before Santa Fe throws something at you . . . :p
The answer to this question, like many others, can be found in your Owner's Manual (or by Searching), but to help you out in the meantime . . .

You have 2 options in that scenario:
1. Use a jumper battery connected to the jumper terminal in the fuse box by the left door to open the front hood (as described in the owner's manual); or,

2. Manually open the front hood by finding the hood release cable in the left front wheel well, as described here:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/6927-if-battery-dead-how-open-front-trunk-2.html#post301409

:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts