Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my 13 Boxster with the pcm Nav. iPhone 8 linked fine, makes and receives calls, plays music. I can also hit the iPhone home button and ask Siri for directions through the car’s system. However, once the phone starts navigation, I cannot hear the turn-by-turn directions from the car’s speakers or the iPhone. Anyone know what might be wrong? First experience with Porsche pcm. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Same issue on 14 CS
If you play music via iPod (iPhone),
You will hear all directions or other app related sounds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that’s the assumption I made. I can get Siri to answer questions, etc. over the car system, play music, etc. But when I start a route on Apple Maps, the turn-by-turn directions do not come through no matter what source I have active on the PCM. Routinely use Maps on many of my other cars without a problem. New to me 13 Boxster isn’t acting like all my others, so was curious if other people are able to get it to work on theirs, or is there a trick setting it’s PCM???

·
Premium Member
34,239 Posts
Are you using a physical connection (USB) in the glove box or arm rest and/or bluetooth connection? Are you setting the sound source to IPOD or bluetooth? And what PCM version do you have? That could be another factor.

When I use Waze I have to switch the PCM source to IPOD in order for it to be heard through the stereo. I would assume the same is true for apple maps. My CPO car came with the PCM 3.1 online services so I can use the iphone for searching but the navigation will use the internal maps. This works reasonable well but is not as good as WAZE or the others. I often let Waze do the talking but the built-in NAV show the maps.

I came from a car that supported carplay so this is a bit of a downgrade. I have to have bluetooth enabled and paired. Then with the voice command Hey Siri, its pretty close for most things - especially if you use the IPOD source. I use the JUKEBOX source and the only oddity I have with my setup, again a USB cable connection, and not using the IPD source, when I say Hey Siri, the phone answers but it takes a short time for the car to switch to the phone. PCM then acts like a phone call is going through but its not, its just enabling the car microphone/speaker output. It takes a little time for the switch and sometimes Siri will miss what I say but otherwise it works fine. The PCM will beep if I get a text message and I can ask Siri to read it to me. So again, not quite carplay but works well enough for me.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hm, I don't use Maps but I've never had problems with any audio from the iPhone via AUX-BT on PCM unless the app's volume or settings were off. I'll have to try out Maps and report back.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I use Waze and just turn the volume up on the 7S iphone so I can hear it thru the phone speaker. I’ve tried it through the radio, and it takes so long to “make a phone call” that it’s useless. You might just send the sound to your phone.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I believe you need to have bluetooth streaming for that to work, can you play pandora or any other app thru bluetooth?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you using a physical connection (USB) in the glove box or arm rest and/or bluetooth connection? Are you setting the sound source to IPOD or bluetooth? And what PCM version do you have? That could be another factor.

When I use Waze I have to switch the PCM source to IPOD in order for it to be heard through the stereo. I would assume the same is true for apple maps. My CPO car came with the PCM 3.1 online services so I can use the iphone for searching but the navigation will use the internal maps. This works reasonable well but is not as good as WAZE or the others. I often let Waze do the talking but the built-in NAV show the maps.

I came from a car that supported carplay so this is a bit of a downgrade. I have to have bluetooth enabled and paired. Then with the voice command Hey Siri, its pretty close for most things - especially if you use the IPOD source. I use the JUKEBOX source and the only oddity I have with my setup, again a USB cable connection, and not using the IPD source, when I say Hey Siri, the phone answers but it takes a short time for the car to switch to the phone. PCM then acts like a phone call is going through but its not, its just enabling the car microphone/speaker output. It takes a little time for the switch and sometimes Siri will miss what I say but otherwise it works fine. The PCM will beep if I get a text message and I can ask Siri to read it to me. So again, not quite carplay but works well enough for me.

Hope this helps.
Just got back from an intensive road trip, plus getting to learn about the 981.

Are you saying that in order to hear the Apple Maps app turn-by-turn directions, the iPhone would need to be connected by cable and must be playing only content from the iPhone and no other PCM source?

I didn't have a chance to connect the iPhone via cable, but if this is the case, would be useless. Should be able to listen to the FM radio or XM and have the iPhone override the sound just like it does with Siri (employs the telephone sound override).

Connecting the iPhone via Bluetooth works fine. I get Siri, I get music when I select BT, or any other app with music/content that's on my phone. But the function that seems "broken" is the ability of Apple Maps turn-by-turn to override a PCM sound source similar to how Siri can override any PCM sound source.

Just trying to figure out if this is anything that can be "fixed" or is it just plain broken on the PCM. (BTW, I have v.4.7X something on the PCM).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, normal Bluetooth works just fine with all it's normal functions. But as per my post above, the Maps app turn-by-turn voice should be able to override any PCM source using the telephone interface the same as Siri does. Siri does it just fine after 6 days on the road. But Maps does not seem to be able to do what Siri can. I have had other vehicles (including my BMW 5 Series) that can do it just fine, so trying to see what is the issue with PCM. Possibly just an out-of-date Bluetooth implementation on the PCM.

Maybe someone has figured out how to get it to work. Would be much handier at times to be able to use Siri for directions as compared to a fairly limited PCM Nav system.

·
Premium Member
34,239 Posts
I think the reason Siri works is because the PCM system believes a phone call is being carried out. Whenever I invoke Siri, My display clearly shows the phone call display and it drops off when Siri drops. But the maps don't appear this way - regardless of apple/google/or waze. The only way I see to get the map apps to work overriding music is to either enable bluetooth interface or the IPOD source. But neither of these will work with the radio enabled. I believe the one thing the cable interface gives you is the option for online searches with the nav.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the reason Siri works is because the PCM system believes a phone call is being carried out. Whenever I invoke Siri, My display clearly shows the phone call display and it drops off when Siri drops. But the maps don't appear this way - regardless of apple/google/or waze. The only way I see to get the map apps to work overriding music is to either enable bluetooth interface or the IPOD source. But neither of these will work with the radio enabled. I believe the one thing the cable interface gives you is the option for online searches with the nav.
Yes, you are correct. Apple (and others) utilizes the phone system to insert Siri and other material overriding the car's normal audio content. The odd thing is that in Maps, the turn-by-turn voice instructions are likely using that same override method. It does work in other brands of cars, just not working (apparently) with Porsche's PCM system. The more I think about it, it could be that our PCM systems are utilizing an older Bluetooth software/firmware version that has difficulty with this issue. But the reason there is hope that it can/does work is that Siri works just fine presenting all types of audio such as reading texts, emails, other requested data/info overriding the car's normal audio (FM, XM, etc.). That says PCM is essentially capable, but for some reason, it is not reacting to Maps trying to insert (via the phone system) it's audio.

But who knows, maybe someone has figured it out and we aren't stuck with an old version of Bluetooth that simply can't do it. With some of my other cars, I have been spoiled being able to ask Siri to find the closest whatever and give directions. And if I have to grab the phone and change the audio output so that audio comes from the iPhone speakers, can't do that while driving in CA. Plus any phone calls coming in will not come over the PCM. All in all, not the greatest situation. But I will continue to explore! Thanks for your input.

Thoroughly enjoying the 981, despite the somewhat antiquated PCM electronics. At least the Bose Surround Sound system sounds reasonably good. After 6 days on the road, glad for that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts