Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to develop my 99 2.5 into a class winning F Prepared car with SCCA Solo at a national level.

I have done most of the car on a fairly tight budget. I have about $13K invested in fabrication, cheap performance suspension, fiberglass, Roll cage etc.

I need to upgrade my stock 2.5 liter motor now. Anyone know of anyone other than Jake at Flat 6 Innovations for potential headwork on M96 engines? I'm looking for cost effective mods and that is tough to find for M96. But thought I'd ask this group if you know of anyone doing M96 mods. I can not do forced induction.

I'm open to sponsorship also. ;) Would be happy to give a Boxster/Cayman tuner shop some viability in exchange for some deals. The car is very fast and gets lots of attention. I am committed to going to SCCA National Championships where I expect to do well with the car and I have a very good driver in the car now.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Most of the track prepared Boxsters I've seen are Spec Boxster class which doesn't allow any engine mods between the intake and exhaust ports.

LN Engineering has developed alot of fixes and parts for the M96.
Mantis in Canada races a Cayman and has much experience running the car but don't remember anything in the engine mod tuning area from them.
I guess this isn't much help but they can probably point you to a shop if they can't help you directly.

Keep us posted.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
Where are you in CA?

Vision Motorsports in Laguna Hills has done quite a bit with M96/M97 engines/heads.

I would not consider Vision the best for the budget minded, but they will do the work right.

Cheers,

·
Registered
620 Posts
Can you advise what the engine rules are? I imagine a transplant would be pretty cost-effective, and give you more low-end torque and throttle response than the 2.5 could ever provide. But it sounds like you've determined staying with 2.5 NA is best? More displacement sure would be fun (i.e. 3.8).

Beyond that, minimum weight will help a bunch - but you're already working on that.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Phat, when you first proposed this project I was very skeptical of its viability and your car weight targets. You have proven me wrong and I apologize. Back in the day, I won a few FTD with a stock engined 1800# MGB. Not knowing current rules, I think the best gain could be had with proper gear ratios. In my Cayman I think 2nd is too short and 3rd is too long, and obviously reducing the final drive ratio would help for AX. This should be more cost effective then cylinder head work.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Phat B

I agree a taller 2nd gear might help a little , mine on the cayman tops out at 72mph and I have yet to hit 72 at an AX in the bay area. ( my top was 70mph )

One thing I am looking into is a steering quickener. it attaches to the steering column and you can cut the steering radius in half. This will make it less effort to turn the car = faster times! I have looked around and see that done on a few corvettes, and other AX cars have used them and all said it made the driving the course Much easier. I am sure something can be setup to work for our P cars!

I would LOVE to have to never have to cross my hands ever again going around corners.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I might be able to help you out. I was out with Evan at an AX last weekend and we used to AX 914's together. We talked about your car a bit on Sunday. I have a shop in Orange County and maybe we can work something out.
PM me or have Evan call me, just give him my screename and he'll know who.

I'm honestly not an expert on the SCCA rulebook as I don't run with them, but Evan and I should be able to get some development done and be effective. I'm more into track stuff and him AX, but would be cool to venture out. :cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
does anyone have a link to how the scca classes break down? i have a little familiarity with the bmw scca club rules, but i don't know how much the rules change when you change manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I would call Hergesheimer if you are in the so cal area. They really know what they are doing and they offer great value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts