Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant find any visible leaks but I need to add approx an inch or a cup or so to get level
into the full cold reading. Is this normal occurrence with this car or engine. I have read that
Porsche states that the water pump can leak all fluid that lubes the seal and bearing but there not saying
how much is acceptable. I have pulled all the plugs and there dry and light beige color.
No signs of coolant anywhere.Ive pulled every plastic panel . Also if just adding a lil top off is it necessary
to bleed the coolant or at the very least pop up the bleeder for a few miles.Thx for any advise

·
Registered
2010 Cayman S
12 Posts
Try replacing your coolant reservoir cap, it may have a slight leak. Look for white residue around the seal. I've had two fail on me, so I it's something I keep an eye on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely not that. I’ve got the most updated cap and no dry coolent
Around cap. I have had that previously but not now,

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the coolant temperature warning light scare the crap out of me while driving. Added a few ounces, light went out, took car to my tech, no leaks. Even though it's a closed system, somehow it can run a bit low. I chalk it up to the mysterious complexities of P car ownership. It keeps us on our toes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is just my opinion, if this is an 2006 and the coolant has never been changed here lies the problem. I believe that everything has a life expectancy and over time the coolant looses it's properties and therefore evaporates at a slow rate. I change my coolant in every vehicle I own at least every four years and I do not have the problems I see other people having with their cooling systems.

I maintain a small fleet of vehicles and equipment for my business and personal vehicles. I change the coolant on each and everyone of them, I have been doing this for over twenty five years and I have had hardly any failures of the cooling system. I am talking about at least thirteen vehicles of all sizes and makes for over a twenty five year period having two waterpumps go out and one radiator
on all the vehicles combined and some of these vehicles I have owned for twenty one years.

Same with all the other fluids, I change them on a regular basis whether it is coolant or brake fluid or transmission fluid, you get the idea, and it shows in how little use of replacement parts and down time of the vehicles which is important to a small business.

If you have not changed the coolant I would recommend doing so, I did my own, but I have the equipment to do it and it still took me four hours to change my coolant in my 981.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it’s original fluid!! All other fluids I’ve changed regularly. Porche dealer said not to do, it’s lifetime fluid. But who’s lifetime? It still looks same but.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last year I decided to change the fluid in my 2011 base pdk since I was going to change the PDK and tranny fluid. Porsche says only they should be touching the PDK, but I had to learn how to do it and it is done. I didn't have any history of the car and it was coming up on a 115k miles. I wanted to change the fluids so I would have record plus every couple of months I was adding coolant. I took off the bottom covers and went thru the whole coolant system. I was amazed at how much build up there was for a system that is suppose to be lifetime. Some hoses and connections looked fine, but when I took them apart there was major build up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last year I decided to change the fluid in my 2011 base pdk since I was going to change the PDK and tranny fluid. Porsche says only they should be touching the PDK, but I had to learn how to do it and it is done. I didn't have any history of the car and it was coming up on a 115k miles. I wanted to change the fluids so I would have record plus every couple of months I was adding coolant. I took off the bottom covers and went thru the whole coolant system. I was amazed at how much build up there was for a system that is suppose to be lifetime. Some hoses and connections looked fine, but when I took them apart there was major build up.
Can you define major build-up? I had my water pump off a few years ago and saw nothing to indicate
that at least on the water pump hoses.But u have me concerned now that maybe I should change it all.
That Porsche fluid is really thick and slippery stuff. Its designed to also lube the bearing seals in the pump shaft.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Might want to have a look at the coolant air bleeder valve. Mine was going bad and would leave just a misting of moisture on the trunk lid by the mobil1 sticker. I thought it might be the cap as well, but my tech said it was the bleeder valve. Have not had an issue since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts