Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My struggle here is I have to drive my car to these track events and in some cases its 200 miles each way. There is little risk of water but rather premature wearing. Thanks in advanced. Shooting for F245 R275

· Registered
49 Posts
My struggle here is I have to drive my car to these track events and in some cases its 200 miles each way. There is little risk of water but rather premature wearing. Thanks in advanced. Shooting for F245 R275
Tough choice, I prefer the R888R but since you’re driving to the track I would look at their rain rating on tire rack. Also, may I recommend the Michelin 4S.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tough choice, I prefer the R888R but since you’re driving to the track I would look at their rain rating on tire rack. Also, may I recommend the Michelin 4S.
Thanks for the very quick response. The rain ratings for the RE71 is quite a bit better than the R888R however being in CA I will likely have very little rain experience. Tirerack lacks any qualitative numbers for the A052 but the online reviews indicate it to be a better tire (softer, more grip, last longer) but not as communicative. The numbers for the R888R are very close but not quite as good as the RE71 which is surprising given that it should be a stickier tire - the writeups have cautioned that road noise is ridiculously loud so long drives are not advisable. So for now I am leaning towards the A052s. As for the 4S I have those on my DD wheels and they are terrific - much better than the Pzeros.

· Registered
66 Posts
For what it is worth, I drive 300+ miles to my track days on Re 71s. I have driven in heavy rain, and got caught in a snow storm once. The tires worked. Obviously I had to drive slower and more carefully.

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to follow up here as I just had two days at Buttonwillow. Thankfully the weather was merciful and not blazing hot. The tires performed very well. I had the hot temperatures up a little higher than the RE71Rs (34/35 vs 31/33) but I think they would be even better if I had dropped them a bit more. I didn't notice a lot of communication but the track sometimes gets a silty cover from a previous car and that is slippery stuff. Regardless, I would say they were comparable to the RE71rs in my limited opinion. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.