Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 'how to buy a car' books say the best way to get the best deal on a car is to get the dealers to compete with each other for your business, usually by using a fax approach. But these books always assume a typical scenario where you have 10 or more dealers in your area, the cars are in great supply on the lot, and that a special order from the factory would only be considered as a last resort.

But I have my spec and there's no way I'll find it anywhere on a lot. I don't need a test drive or a sales pitch, I just need an order taker and the best deal I can get. What's the best way? Has anyone used the faxing approach? The books all say not to go anywhere near a dealership until the papers are ready to be signed.

I've only bought a new car once before in my life, and that was 12 years ago. How did you go about buying your car? How would you do it differently if you had to again? There are only 5 dealers within an 8 hour drive of me. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Cayman Enthusiast
9,995 Posts
Lying works sometimes. Mention the dreaded Internet, willingness to buy anywhere, desire to support the locals, mention that you also need to buy a Audi/MB for the spouse once this deal is done (assuming a dealer that sells all), or better yet get bids from all the Cayman Club Porsche sponsors and compare them. I have only one dealer to choose from unless I come to your neck of the woods but have purchased Porsches from a lot of places far away until the local dealer caught on that I would.

Also remember and use the fact that the sales guy has a horizon that is measured in days if not minutes. Use this knowledge to get him working for you as much as the dealer. And to answer your question I never visit the dealer until we have deal done and then fine tune it with a check resting between me and the sales guy.

Edited by - Santa Fe on 08/21/2006 5:57:22 PM

·
Registered
273 Posts
As a Porsche dealer myself, I find Santa Fe's response humorous and brutally honest. The things he mentioned are things that customers mention to us everyday. In fact so much that most of the statements wealmost expect to hear from customers.

P-nut, in order to get a deal you are comfortable with just be honest with your dealer. Tell your salesperson exactly what you are hoping to accomplish and see if they will accomodate. Sales people are also human, just like yourself. They enjoy having local customers who support them and in turn they should have an interest in supporting you after the sale. Believe me, there are lots of little 'perks' that I do for local customers who purchase from us and show their loyalty with their pocketbooks. I appreciate local business and in turn I support them in many ways also.

Don't treat your purchase as if you are about to go to war with the dealer. Go in with a positive attitude and I'm sure you will be able to find someone who has similar interests as yours. If you have several dealers in your area, shop for a salesperson, not just a car--this is someone you feel comfortable with and will take care of your needs for years into the future.

Good luck, and if you have none give me a call, I'll be happy to discuss the purchase with you.

Mitch, Porsche of Omaha

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
every dealer has a different tolerance/requirement for margin. i call up everyone and tell them what i am willing to pay and how i like the cars equipped, they ALWAYS say i am dreaming. but without fail, they ALWAYS call back a few days later. there will be someone who's willing to do the deal.

Edited by - mooty on 08/21/2006 6:42:21 PM

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Santa,

Satire or not. I agree with most of what you wrote. As far as I know, I have gotten one of the best deals.

Shane

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
i'm just making sure you know that you can see every cayman available with options if you go to the dealers website. you can go to any dealers website from the porsche.com website. you really should be able to get at least 10% off msrp. there are so many 06's they must be dying to move.

Edited by - esaam ismail on 08/21/2006 8:33:21 PM

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't need a test drive or a sales pitch, I just need an order taker and the best deal I can get.
Tell your dealer that, and I'm sure your dealer will be smart enough to figure out that he could make another sales, in addition to yours, in the time saved with you. Ultimately giving you what you want.

Edited by - fuserchris on 08/21/2006 8:36:48 PM

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I hate negotiating. I just usually end up finding the car I want priced the way I want. It takes a while but when you find it - it is worth the long search.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I couldn't afford NOT negotiating. I hate negotiating too. If I had more money (on the time vs. money scale), then I would just find the car I wanted at a fair price and buy. But, I'm on the wrong side of the scale. :)

Shane

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always try to figure out a reasonable price before I start inquiring about a specific car by doing research on the forums, ebay, dealer websites, autotrader, etc to see what's available and the pricing. I then try to get to my price range quickly, often with non-local dealers, but I don't spend a lot time fighting for that last few hundred. I've found that a trade-in really complicate the situation, you must establish the price of the car you want to buy first before you bring up the trade. Then you can sometimes move the numbers around in the deal. Carmax also is a valuable way to value your trade, as they will evaluate (and usually offer to buy) your car even if you don't buy from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts