Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Engine oil leak / drip from oil filter housing...

I have owned my 09' cayenne for 9 years and have always done my own oil changes. I recently did a change on my 13' cayenne and have a drip from the plastic housing. I tightened it up today, pretty sure it was loose but now, I tightened it up to about 20 but there is still a little leak / drip...

What the heck?!

I don't know what to do, I've never had a leak / drip before.

I don't want to over tighten, I used a torque handle (mechanical one that as you turn, it moves a metal bar across the scale...

Any tips / info would be appreciated.

Thank you

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Can you be a little more specific? Is it engine oil? Transmission fluid? Gear oil? Coolant? Power steering? PDCC? left side of the car? Right side of the car? Front? Back? Maybe a picture?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you be a little more specific? Is it engine oil? Transmission fluid? Gear oil? Coolant? Power steering? PDCC? left side of the car? Right side of the car? Front? Back? Maybe a picture?
Sorry, it is leaking / dripping engine oil from the engine oil housing. I saw it when I initially tightened it earlier today and then after taking it for a spin, I waited an hour or so and there was another leak / drip. The filter housing had oil on it so I wiped it off and tightened it a bit more.

Never had this issue before.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
That should be an easy fix. Maybe the oring got cut or pinched. I recommend replacing the orings and try again. When you get it apart clean up the plastic housing real well and look for a crack. A crack may be hard to find when the engine is cold. As the engine heats up the crack will expand and leak.

If it was my car, I would clean up the area with simple green or brake cleaner and take it for a short drive. Then crawl under there and see where the leak is originating from. It's impossible to tell right now. Clean, drive, look for the leak.

• Helpful
Reactions: deilenberger

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
I don't think it's "residual" - too wet. Buy a new plastic bit and replace it. While the V8 one is a plastic canister (I assume yours is a V6 or diesel) and this looks like a plastic top instead - chances are it needs replacing. My 2011 Turbo needed a new one at around 100k miles. Leaked. New O ring on every oil change and it still leaked. New one (about $25) took care of the issue.

Good luck!

BTW - you might consider editing your SIG file to tell us the year/model/engine of your Cayenne - that would make it easier to answer questions such as this.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It appeared to be seeping from the housing body (where it screws into the engine), I tightened it up again (like the 3rd time) and will take it out this morning. It did not leak overnight so I think this might have fixed it.

I will also buy a new torque wrench just so I have additional assurance that things are properly tightened.

Thank you

· Administrator
2,222 Posts
White Font Auto part Drawing Circle

I believe this is the filter we're talking about? It's on a 2013 diesel engine Cayenne

Looking deeper in the parts diagrams I find:
Font Rectangle Plant Parallel Circle

Note that it has a separate listing number (20) and is part of an assembly (19) so usually, when you order a filter for the vehicle it comes with that seal, but the seal can also be ordered as a separate part. I have seen some aftermarket vendors selling JUST the actual filter, not the kit of filter AND seal.

The seal is supposed to be replaced every time the filter is changed. No exceptions.

On the V6 3.6L engine - it's much the same, see this video for details on changing that seal (skip to 6:48):

Due to the design of the seal, you can't make it seal any tighter by tightening up the housing more. It's a coaxial seal, it seals to the sides of the oil filter opening in the block, it is NOT a compression seal.

Your action "I tightened it up again (like the 3rd time)" did absolutely nothing good. The reason it didn't leak overnight was you probably weren't driving the car overnight.

YOU NEED A NEW SEAL. I don't know if you hadn't replaced it when you did the change, or if it got nicked putting the filter cover back in place (it appears to be a real PITA on the V6), but what's leaking is that seal and tightening the cover isn't going to fix it.

[NAG-mode-ON]
Also - now a NAG - I suggested above that you tell us the year/engine of your Cayenne. You've left us guessing on that info. In the future, you won't receive an answer from me if that info isn't included. It's simple to make it fully automatic by going to your profile and adding that info to your "Signature" - once you do that it's automatically added to every message you have or will ever make to this forum. Better questions get better answers (me.) If you neglect to put vital information in your question to the forum you shouldn't expect any better answers than you'll get asking on Facebook (where some *** will undoubtedly tell you it's the IMS bearing.. even on cars that never had one..)
[NAG-mode-OFF]

Reactions: lastone

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's good to know.

I ran it this morning and it leaked a little.

Which probably goes back to what you said - that it's not a compression seal.

I bought a new torque wrench and will replace the filter and seal today.

thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts