Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate the input from the group. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2008 plain vanilla Cayman (5 speed and 18" tires), which was leftover on the dealer's lot. It will lose one year of warranty coverage.

I am also investigating two CPO's:

1) 2007 like the 2008, 12,908 miles, except color and with 19" wheels, plus the time left on the original factory warranty, plus the CPO warranty.

2) 2006 Cayman S, one owner, 14,336 miles, and the dealer states "as is, extended warranty available". I have asked him to clarify what that means.

Please give your input regarding the three options and any mechanical issues and other ups and downs you think are important.

Whichever way I go, the car will be my everyday vehicle. I am ready for my 2nd childhood, since the 356B Super 90 I owned 35 years ago.

Thank you to all for your help!:thanks:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was looking at an 08 myself but found an 07 with 10k miles and Slate Grey which is quite a bit of $$$ to pay for new and it was in perfect condition so I went with an 07. No regrets here.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd appreciate the input from the group. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2008 plain vanilla Cayman (5 speed and 18" tires), which was leftover on the dealer's lot. It will lose one year of warranty coverage.
It would depend on your use and desires. I asked questions of several dealers and got the CS. I wanted a car I could track and use; as it turns out I like the car so much I drive it as often as possible, basically a daily driver.

The deciding factor for me was upgrade-ability. If I got a C I wanted to be able to upgrade things to get it to CS status. Then I discovered the C and CS major difference is engine and tranny. It is not really practical to change engine and tranny to get the larger engine and 6 speed tranny put into the C, whereas the CS is ready to go. That was the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Look for an '06 "S" that is a 3-year lease return. They are out there and great deals are available. After a 4 month search using a car broker, he finally found a Seal Grey/Slate grey interior one with under 12K miles, sport steering wheel/shifter/seats, preferred package and Chrono Sport. It even had warranty thru July '10.

"Patience Grass Hopper and choose wisely."

·
Registered
282 Posts
Look for an '06 "S" that is a 3-year lease return. They are out there and great deals are available. After a 4 month search using a car broker, he finally found a Seal Grey/Slate grey interior one with under 12K miles, sport steering wheel/shifter/seats, preferred package and Chrono Sport. It even had warranty thru July '10.

"Patience Grass Hopper and choose wisely."

I agree, talk to the dealers, they have access to a lease turn in projection on EVERY Porsche lease. They know when cars are due in and what options are in them. Mine was a corporate car 17k miles and I opted for CPO so it will be under warranty until 2011 (I think, I would have to look at the papers). Test out PASM, I didn't want it initially but my car has it. For a daily driver I would say its a must have. In normal mode the car is a softer ride then a non-PASM 987 and it becomes a cornering beast; I would say get the PASM w/Sport-Chrono. Test out cars at the local dealer with and without PASM (in the PASM car try riding and cornering in normal mode then sport mode), you will feel what I mean.

·
Registered
68 Posts
there is little difference, other than year and mileage, between 06s and 08s. I'd absolutely positively get the Cayman S over a regular Cayman, no question.

These cars are incredibly reliable and once you drive an S over a 2.7, you'll certainly agree there is no other option, imo

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for your input. I did proceed with purchase of the '07 CPO, which is Guards Red/Sand Beige, 5 speed, with PSMA, Sport Chrono, 19"
and 13,600 miles, otherwise it is standard Cayman. The records indicate that it has been well maintained and I felt it drove well. The dealer said it had been a Porsche employee vehicle, until it came to them from Porsche in 2008.
It carries the balance of the factory warranty (8 months), then the CPO warranty.

The dealer is in the process of ordering a set of winter tires on 17" wheels and will ship the 19" summer set home. I hope to have it ready to bring home late next week.:dance:

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your input. I did proceed with purchase of the '07 CPO, which is Guards Red/Sand Beige, 5 speed, with PSMA, Sport Chrono, 19"
and 13,600 miles, otherwise it is standard Cayman. The records indicate that it has been well maintained and I felt it drove well. The dealer said it had been a Porsche employee vehicle, until it came to them from Porsche in 2008.
It carries the balance of the factory warranty (8 months), then the CPO warranty.

The dealer is in the process of ordering a set of winter tires on 17" wheels and will ship the 19" summer set home. I hope to have it ready to bring home late next week.:dance:
Well, you left out the part about the options. PASM is really good to have with 19" wheels on a Gen I Cayman or CS. I'd have got the '06 CS. A look at my signature will show you I put my money where my mouth is. I'm deleriously happy with my car and I know you will be too. If you are looking for a daily driver, and it appears that you are since you are shopping for Winters, you will like the Base Cayman. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Sweet ride! I really like the Porsche Carrera wheels.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris Halvin (Vision Auto Group, Reading, PA - highly recommended and with a nice inventory of new Caymans, Boxsters, 911's and a Panamera - plus nice used vehicles, including a CPO 2006 Cayman S, 14000+ miles) delivered my '07 Cayman and summer tire/wheel set to my home today. He kindly took the time to make the 35 mile trip, then patiently went through all the paper work and the hands-on review of car functions.
He has been a pleasure to work with throughout. If anyone is looking, he will do a great job for you (610-777-6500; [email protected]).

The best part is the car, which is wonderful. It's been 35 years since my 356, yet there is deja vu looking from the outside and inside - the lineage between "grandfather and grandson" is definitely there. The driving experience is so much different, with the change in technology from 1962 to 2007. The pleasure is undeniable. My wife is still happy.

I appreciate all the input from the experienced drivers who took the time to reply to this thread. Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, safe and sane 2010 to you all.:)

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Chris Halvin (Vision Auto Group, Reading, PA - highly recommended and with a nice inventory of new Caymans, Boxsters, 911's and a Panamera - plus nice used vehicles, including a CPO 2006 Cayman S, 14000+ miles) delivered my '07 Cayman and summer tire/wheel set to my home today. He kindly took the time to make the 35 mile trip, then patiently went through all the paper work and the hands-on review of car functions.
He has been a pleasure to work with throughout. If anyone is looking, he will do a great job for you (610-777-6500; [email protected]).

The best part is the car, which is wonderful. It's been 35 years since my 356, yet there is deja vu looking from the outside and inside - the lineage between "grandfather and grandson" is definitely there. The driving experience is so much different, with the change in technology from 1962 to 2007. The pleasure is undeniable. My wife is still happy.

I appreciate all the input from the experienced drivers who took the time to reply to this thread. Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, safe and sane 2010 to you all.:)
My car is not a daily driver, but it gets used at least once a week on Tuesday nights to deliver me to my "Tuesday Night Music Club". That's a blues jam held 50 miles from my house. The trek is on semi-rural roads, suburban 4 lanes and some expressways.

Agree that the CS still has the "Porsche feel". Mine has the same feel to it as my '83 911SC had as well as a friend's old 356B coupe. That relationship of the steering wheel and the steep windscreen to the seats and dash is still there, the boxer sound is still there (barely) and the active feel to the steering is still there.

What's missing? The agricultural quality of my 911SC's 5-speed; The feeling of that hulking mass of an engine hanging behind the rear wheels trying to pull me off the road at every turn, the waves of heat pouring out of the back of the car from a too-big-to-be-air-cooled engine, the requirement of frequent valve adjustments, the fussy Bosch injection system, the silly heater controls and the corrosion starting around the battery behind the front bumper...These are things I do not miss.

I had to upgrade the SC to the oil-fed timing chain tensioner, the shifter hit the driver's seat when I put the car in reverse, so I had to move the seat back when I backed up until I installed a short-shift kit. It needed suspension bits, A/C service, which did not go well the first time, The local dealer apparently measured the refrigerant charge with the engine cover up, which allowed too much gas and seized the compressor, braking the brand new drive belt on a 100+ degree outing...finally I put a set of new tires on it before I realized I was pouring money into a car I didn't really like from a performance perspective. It just wasn't my idea of a sports car with that weight distribution and it didn't provide enough of a reason to take on expenses like this.

The sacrifice of the 911 back seat area took a little getting used to on the Cayman S and I do miss some of the mechanical sounds of the 911SC. I liked having that space behind me even though no one ever sat back there, but I love the extra trunk in the CS. For me, it's perfect. A small amp (Goodsell Super 17, if anyone cares) and my pedal board fit in the front trunk as if they were made for it. My electric guitar fits nicely in back. That springy privacy doodad holds the case in place and keeps it from flying around on exit ramps. I still have a passenger's seat and extra room for more stuff. It's also a perfect touring car for two and my first DE in this car held a lot of promise for future fun, so I'm still pretty thrilled with this car after 6 months of use.

The CS is a great joy for me to look at and drive. I get compliments nearly every time I drive it like I did with the SC, but it's nicer to get compliments when you like the car too! Congratulations on your new Cayman. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts