Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. After the awesome install of the Turbo Kit by TPC Racing in Puerto Rico by SCIRO European Experts and Prestige Tire, I have made a second video after the First drive. This time I invited my teenage son, Carlos Alejandro to enjoy the ride with me and serve as my co-pilot. We really enjoyed making this video, hope you enjoy! :banana::dance::cool:

Link to previous video is in the thread http://www.planet-9.com/tpc-turbo-kits/65853-tpc-turbo-full-kit-cayman-2-7l-tropics.html

or

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Welcome to the turbo club buddy..!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the tour, beautiful video of tropical PR :)

I could see myself adding a TPC turbo to my 2.9 one day after the warranty runs out. But I have to admit I'm a complete novice when it comes to turbos. Can you answer some basic questions?

1) I hear that the 0-60 time does not improve because of traction control? And if you turn traction control off... you get too much wheels spin? I'd guess that Turbos are more useful for quarter mile drag racing vs red light to red light street racing? Just curious...I'm not really a fan of straight line racing anyway (I live for the curves). LOL

2) If you are taking a fast corner, does the turbo kick in at a certain point and make it harder to judge how hard you can push to get the car balanced right on the limit of traction?

3) On public roads does the turbo make a difference at lower speeds? My friend has a turbo in his Vette, but it doesn't do much until he's already well over the speed limit. Seems like a waste since he doesn't track his car. (He just likes telling people he has a turbo) ;)

4) Heat- has anyone figured out a way to punch a vent hole or snake a tube into the Caymans engine compartment to help with cooling of the engine compartment? I know that sounds funny, but I always enjoyed my old Ferrari 308 and Mr2 because you could just lift the rear hood when you parked and let the heat out. Seems one of the Cayman's weakness could be the long-term life of all the plastic parts in the engine compartment, due to excessive heat soak for long periods of time. Does the turbo add to this problem? (is it even a problem?)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a great time watching the video on a Friday afternoon, while sitting in my air-conditioned office with my CS sitting in the parking lot. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing. One question: were there any bugs harmed during your production? :burnout:

-Stevie

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,643 Posts
Thanks for the tour, beautiful video of tropical PR :)

I could see myself adding a TPC turbo to my 2.9 one day after the warranty runs out. But I have to admit I'm a complete novice when it comes to turbos. Can you answer some basic questions?

1) I hear that the 0-60 time does not improve because of traction control? And if you turn traction control off... you get too much wheels spin? I'd guess that Turbos are more useful for quarter mile drag racing vs red light to red light street racing? Just curious...I'm not really a fan of straight line racing anyway (I live for the curves). LOL

2) If you are taking a fast corner, does the turbo kick in at a certain point and make it harder to judge how hard you can push to get the car balanced right on the limit of traction?

3) On public roads does the turbo make a difference at lower speeds? My friend has a turbo in his Vette, but it doesn't do much until he's already well over the speed limit. Seems like a waste since he doesn't track his car. (He just likes telling people he has a turbo) ;)

4) Heat- has anyone figured out a way to punch a vent hole or snake a tube into the Caymans engine compartment to help with cooling of the engine compartment? I know that sounds funny, but I always enjoyed my old Ferrari 308 and Mr2 because you could just lift the rear hood when you parked and let the heat out. Seems one of the Cayman's weakness could be the long-term life of all the plastic parts in the engine compartment, due to excessive heat soak for long periods of time. Does the turbo add to this problem? (is it even a problem?)
1) Traction control in 1st gear is the spinning tires. It will accelerate much faster that stock if you get the launch right
2) No, the turbo comes on very smoothly
3) It's very nice at speed on the highway. no need to downshift to make a pass.
4)I'd recommend insulating the exhaust and turbo. The vent fan runs longer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a great time watching the video on a Friday afternoon, while sitting in my air-conditioned office with my CS sitting in the parking lot. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing. One question: were there any bugs harmed during your production? :burnout:

-Stevie
Surprisingly, hardly any bugs seen. At least not intentionally! Guess it was too hot outside, even for bugs!:hilarious:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made another video during our PCA Mountain Rally, the Cayman Turbo really kicked some butt! Worked flawlessly in the twisty roads! Enjoy!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Dr. Bugkiller,

Glad to see you are enjoying your turbo setup! TPC truly makes an awesome kit for our cars. Did you go with the LP kit or intercooled version? How much power did you get from it? Hope you are still enjoying it!

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I do not know if he will answer, because his car suffered an accident. No relation to the TPC turbo. His set up is a 2.7 intercooled turbo, and I believe it pruduced like 320hp at the wheels with 91 octane fuel. Last I heard he was putting better fuel and his car certainly felt peppier, no dyno.

The day he had the brake line failure I hear he was running with the big boys (997.2 GT3RS and turbos in a short tight track). I wish I was there, beacause I know he is a very good driver. I was saddened just looking at the bangged up car afterwards.

I still think it is the nicest looking red Cayman in the island.

The damage was not too bad. I am hopping, and looking forward, to be driving around with him in a month or two. Sometimes bad things happen to the nicest people:(

·
Registered
57 Posts
I do not know if he will answer, because his car suffered an accident. No relation to the TPC turbo. His set up is a 2.7 intercooled turbo, and I believe it pruduced like 320hp at the wheels with 91 octane fuel. Last I heard he was putting better fuel and his car certainly felt peppier, no dyno.

The day he had the brake line failure I hear he was running with the big boys (997.2 GT3RS and turbos in a short tight track). I wish I was there, beacause I know he is a very good driver. I was saddened just looking at the bangged up car afterwards.

I still think it is the nicest looking red Cayman in the island.

The damage was not too bad. I am hopping, and looking forward, to be driving around with him in a month or two. Sometimes bad things happen to the nicest people:(
Oh man, that really is a shame to hear. Seems like he is doing okay health wise though, which is always the most important, you can always fix or replace the car. Sometimes these things are just out of our hands and theres no way to control it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sweet videos!

not to threadjack but since some considering gettiing this mod may see it, the more turbo cayman videos the better I say - so here's a video of mine (before it got the 3.7L engine mod), driven my previous owner and builder (Mark White):

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Dr. Bugkiller,

Glad to see you are enjoying your turbo setup! TPC truly makes an awesome kit for our cars. Did you go with the LP kit or intercooled version? How much power did you get from it? Hope you are still enjoying it!

Hello Chris 23,

Sorry I couldn't answer earlier, haven't been much in the computer.
My setup is the Awesome TPC Turbo kit with intercooler, and very well wrapped to keep the entire thing as cool as possible for our hot weather. Temperature-wise the car stays cool as a penguin (175 after hot running).
From the dyno with 91 octane fuel map (which I hope TPC will upgrade to 93 octane fuel map soon), my car produced 320 whp, approx. 385bhp, which make me very happy, cause the car responds so quick, it literally is a new car. I really enjoyed making the 3 videos, hope you all enjoy as much as I enjoyed making them. Currently my car is out of commission for a little while (little fender bender), but all replaceable, expecting to get in my car soon to keep enjoying this awesome car! Thanks for all your good wishes! ;)
:thanks:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sweet videos!

not to threadjack but since some considering gettiing this mod may see it, the more turbo cayman videos the better I say - so here's a video of mine (before it got the 3.7L engine mod), driven my previous owner and builder (Mark White):

Dr. G

Stupendous video, kicking some serious butt! Luv it!!
Glad you enjoyed the videos!!!!

Keep 'em videos coming, the more the merrier! I am going to collect 'em all to my personal video library, for my personal enjoyment! I like them that much.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts