Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From Evo,

Porsche has already confirmed the next Macan will be a pure electric car and that the Taycan-based Cross Turismo concept will arrive in production form in 2020, and Blume is clear that Porsche has to build the right cars for the right markets. So while Europe and the US has little time for the four-cylinder Boxster and Cayman models, China can’t get enough of them. And conversely the US and Europe wants a return to a six-cylinder Boxster/Cayman, for which a new six-cylinder engine will soon be confirmed. He also said that within 12 months Porsche has to make a decision on an electric-only Boxster/Cayman. ‘We have to turn left or right if we make a new platform for an electric sports car. We have to make that decision soon.

To me it means Porsche is discontinuing the 4T in certain markets. So more variations on the Cayman touring new 6 filtering down to the base.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think that’s all pretty speculative at this time. The interview was pretty general and nothing specific was said. There may or may not be T4 718’s in the USA. The 6 cylinder may or may not make its way through the 718 line. It would be nice to get some official word from Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The 718 should have been an EV platform from the start. That would have at least been interesting.

It never made any sense to create a new four-cylinder powerplant that would be used in absolutely nothing else, ever. But that's what they did.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,657 Posts
The 718 should have been an EV platform from the start. That would have at least been interesting.

It never made any sense to create a new four-cylinder powerplant that would be used in absolutely nothing else, ever. But that's what they did.
It made sense if, like Porsche, you wanted to market it in China. They had to make up a story, linking it to the original 718, in order to market it in the ROW. And who knows, they probably made long-term plans and designed it from the outset with an electric variant in mind.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
It made sense if, like Porsche, you wanted to market it in China.
Not just China...but also the ROW markets that tax the beejeesus out of larger displacement cars.

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,657 Posts
Cause the Taycan wasn't ready?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Tesla was selling a two-seat 718-class roadster in 2008. 10 years later, Porsche offered the world... a new four-banger.

Local rabbit quoted as saying, "What? Me worry?"
Problem is longevity, the (old) Tesla roadster is now pretty much an orphan, AFAIK Tesla won't sell parts for it or even offer to repair it! I would be very cautious about a company that does this...

·
Administrator
34,418 Posts
Problem is longevity, the (old) Tesla roadster is now pretty much an orphan, AFAIK Tesla won't sell parts for it or even offer to repair it! I would be very cautious about a company that does this...
That's not true, there was a Roadster in my local service center last week. There are some parts that are no longer made that either have to be scavenged from wrecked cars or cobbled together from 3rd party sources and Tesla isn't making any NEW battery packs for them currently because Musk has said they will at some point create a replacement pack that has more modern batteries but it isn't on their priority list at this time. Given how few Roadsters were made that's really not much different than trying to find parts for a 12 year old Morgan or other low-production vehicle. I don't think it says anything about Tesla as a company or its willingness to support their mass produced cars like the S, 3, X or Y....

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
That's not true, there was a Roadster in my local service center last week. There are some parts that are no longer made that either have to be scavenged from wrecked cars or cobbled together from 3rd party sources and Tesla isn't making any NEW battery packs for them currently because Musk has said they will at some point create a replacement pack that has more modern batteries but it isn't on their priority list at this time. Given how few Roadsters were made that's really not much different than trying to find parts for a 12 year old Morgan or other low-production vehicle. I don't think it says anything about Tesla as a company or its willingness to support their mass produced cars like the S, 3, X or Y....
Just because the roadster was there it doesn't mean much, the ease of which Tesla left behind the roadster is scary, and regarding the battery pack, so just because it is not Teslas priority the owners are left out in the cold, again a warning that you must take into account when considering a purchase from Tesla.

It is obvious you are a fan and are willing to overlook these issues, that's fine but to pretend they don't exist or to suggest they are not important to others is also wrong.

As to what the future support may look like for the newer Tesla models, that remains to be seen and is far from being guaranteed.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Just because the roadster was there it doesn't mean much, the ease of which Tesla left behind the roadster is scary, and regarding the battery pack, so just because it is not Teslas priority the owners are left out in the cold, again a warning that you must take into account when considering a purchase from Tesla.

It is obvious you are a fan and are willing to overlook these issues, that's fine but to pretend they don't exist or to suggest they are not important to others is also wrong.

As to what the future support may look like for the newer Tesla models, that remains to be seen and is far from being guaranteed.
What does any of this FUD have to do with the topic at hand? Tesla was selling -- and, yes, had already discontinued -- a 718-class EV before Mission-E was even conceived at PAG.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
What does any of this FUD have to do with the topic at hand? Tesla was selling -- and, yes, had already discontinued -- a 718-class EV before Mission-E was even conceived at PAG.
It was you that brought the 'Tesla', 'EV' angle into the thread... the topic 'was' about the new 6 in the 718, now you mention Mission-E?

I went OT with my reply and this will be my last OT reply in this thread:

Not sure why this seems to offend you, BTW there is uncertainty and doubt that they will ever bring out a new battery pack for the Roadster which gives rise to the fear of how they may treat the service plans for their current generation of cars. As you know these battery packs have a finite lifetime and buyers should be aware of this before they proceed, and yes everything wears out but currently (cool pun) there are very few service options with Tesla.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I find it hard to believe Porsche would drop the 4T's developed for the Boxster/Cayman platform if they are going to switch to electric power. They would save the money to help pay for developing the electric model. Besides many parts of the world would not go for a bigger 6 with lower mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts