Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Is it too much to ask that one thread out of the whole 718 Chat section be reserved to hear from 718 OWNERS ONLY so that people who are interested can learn about the experiences of ACTUAL 718 OWNERS with their new vehicles?

·
Super Moderator
13,807 Posts
Is it too much to ask that one thread out of the whole 718 Chat section be reserved to hear from 718 OWNERS ONLY so that people who are interested can learn about the experiences of ACTUAL 718 OWNERS with their new vehicles?
I agree. Posts made by people who don't actual OWN a 718 or have not ordered one have been removed. There are several threads around for voicing opinions about the 718.

Let's honor the OP's request and keep this thread limited to people who put their money down.

thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree. Posts made by people who don't actual OWN a 718 or have not ordered one have been removed. There are several threads around for voicing opinions about the 718.

Let's honor the OP's request and keep this thread limited to people who put their money down.

thank you
I took delivery of my PDK equipped 20 inch wheels wearing 718s two months ago. I am also a former owner of a 2013 981S. I custom ordered my 718s and totally put my money where my mouth is, and I have no regret on the purchase. I am in love with the sound, the torque and the tech. It is an amazing looking car, the performance is over the top for me. It is my weekend car, I don't track it, and I am totally in love with it. I have nothing negative to say about the negative comments others are making, they are entitled to their own opinions, as they are only opinions. I actually own the car and have been enjoying every aspect of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I owned a 2014 981 Base Boxster, loved the car but I wanted the creature comforts or as some 981 purists say washing machine items on it. Adaptive cruise control, keyless entry and start, backup camera and blind side protection. I would not have ordered a new car if it didn't have the extra items. Now I am so glad that I did get a 718. I have 1500 miles on it and am driving it twice as much as I did the 981 because I enjoy driving it so much more than the 981. I like the sound at the mid range RPM's and the low RPM acceleration amazes me every time I drive it. I got Lava Orange and every day I get multiple positive comments about how the car looks and a lot like the sound. I have a 2016 Macan and my wife likes to ride in a car where she is sitting up high so she didn't like to ride in the Boxster. I put twice as many miles on the Macan as on the Boxster when I had the 981. Now I am putting twice as many miles on the 718 as on the Macan. She likes the improvements on the radio and Navigation system and because I enjoy driving it so much more she doesn't mind going in the 718 more. I have made other posts on other sites here about other things that I think are better on the 718 than the 981. I don't think anyone that gets a 718 oxster or Cayman will be disappointed. I hope you enjoy your 718 as much as I am.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up my Boxster in Leipzig at the end of August. My son and I drove it down to the Alps and had a blast. I returned it a little over week later and am waiting to pick it up all over again in a month or so. (I'm not sure why the image is rotated in this post)

My current daily driver is a Mazda Miata and I also have a 1974 right-hand-drive MGB. I'm more into roadsters than sports cars, and I now own three wonderful roadsters. I can't wait to drive them all sequentially.

When my Miata started showing its age after ten years and 130,000 miles I almost bought another brand-new one. When I looked closely at it, though, I noticed that the newest model design took a slight turn in the opposite direction than the one where I wanted to go. They went on a weight-loss kick that went so far as removing the glove compartment. I wanted something at least as fun as what I had, but I also wanted to bump the comfort level up a notch. (Wait: what am I doing on this forum? I should be on Miata.net berating ND buyers!)

I first looked at the little BMW, because it seemed from the outside like a comfortable Miata. It didn't take much looking into modern roadsters, however, to zero in on the Boxster as a better fit. I'd always been intrigued by the mid-engine concept. One day in March or so I stopped by the local dealership and took a test drive of a 2016 Boxster. They didn't have any manual-transmission cars on the lot so we drove a PDK model. I was underwhelmed, mostly with the lack of power. My stock Miata isn't known for it's speed but it is light and seems much more responsive than the car I test drove. I mentioned this to the sales guy and he patiently explained that this was a 6-cylinder engine and that it has lots of pep when you wind it out. He suggested that I press the "sport" button. I did that and it shifted down a gear to keep the revs in a sportier range. I'm just not a big fan of driving this way. I want power when I press the pedal but something more like coasting when I back off. The experience probably would have been better in a manual-transmission car or if I had been comfortable operating the PDK in manual mode. I could probably get used to downshifting when I want a little boost. It's just not a style of driving that I have experience with.

In any case, I asked the sales guy: "Don't they make this in a 4-cylinder?" With a straight face he just said: "You're in luck!" I spent the next few weeks getting caught up on the passion for six-cylinder Porsches. Wow. Since before I could drive I rode 2-cylinder motorcycles, my favorites being a 1979 Bonneville and a mid-1980s Moto Guzzi V65. That sort of power delivery is what I imprinted on even when my cars were dogs. Then about ten years ago I decided to get with the times and bought a 4-cylinder Honda Fireblade 929. It was screaming fast when I wound it out. No one told me that I was supposed to like the intake yowl at high revs but I quickly associated it with the rip-your-arms-from-their-sockets can-barely-keep-the-front-wheel-on-the-ground power. I loved it, on the rare occasions when I could ride it the way it was meant to be ridden. Most of the time, though, the potential of the engine was lost on me. I ended up selling it. I suspect that a six-cylinder Boxster would have been the same way for me: great if I only took it out for spirited rides but frustrating for my real-world use, where I sneak quick bursts of fun into my normal driving. The Miata is perfect for that, and, during my week in Germany and especially Switzerland, the four-cylinder Boxster was much, much better. The broken-in car that they let me drive on the track in Leipzig was even better still.

The main differences between my Miata and my new Boxster are in roll, angular momentum, and comfort at highway speeds. I was amazed on the track how level the car stayed. It would have great to have had a chance to drive that same track with my MG and Miata before the Boxster! (They's still be picking up LBC parts if that had happened). I guess the roll in the Miata keeps people out of trouble: if the inside front wheel feels as though it's lifting off of the pavement you know to expect less traction. In the MG you're afraid to even set up much roll because the tires had a bad habit of abandoning the rims in turns so you just took your time and enjoyed the view. I really noticed the difference in roll when I got back home. The highway cruising was also much more comfortable, even at considerably-higher speeds than I drive back home. My Miata front end seems to feel a little light at much over 80 MPH but 110 MPH in the Boxster felt rock solid. It seems silly to compare two cars with such a price difference but these two cars really were my top two choices all things considered.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To all who have ordered new 718's...I hope the time passes quickly until your vehicles are delivered.
You will not be disappointed.
To those of you (us) who already have our 718's...can you believe the random compliments you receive
about the car from total strangers at stop lights, gas stations, convenience stores etc. never gets old.

To all who responded to my thread, thank you.
Brokaw1

1967 912
1970 911 T Targa
1980 924
2008 Carrera
2017 718 (rocks!)

·
Administrator
34,418 Posts
I would also like to ask that the 718 owners start sharing articles about their 718's with our members. Either in the DIY section or the Articles section. Items like oil changes etc. have not yet been covered for the 718 and in some cases will be different from prior 987 or 981 articles/DIY. I know it is early for modification articles but there are already some 718 mods out there like ECU tuning. So please consider sharing more of your experiences through articles not just in this forum topic. TIA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi! First time poster to Planet-9... Picked up my 718 Boxster S two days ago. Pretty much fully loaded (without Sport Chrono) and loving every second of it. There is a tremendous amount of criticism on this car, but I could care less. Haters be hating is just a way of life now. Downshift the PDK and hit the accelerator and I don't care what hairdresser or housewife supposedly drives this car too, but this thing is a rocket ship. I've heard the exhaust described as anemic, lame, lacking or whatever.... Top up, or top down I think it's downright sexy with tremendous popcorn and bolstered bass to turn heads from every direction. Clearly I am in the infatuation stage with this baby and the last time I felt like this was in 2000 when I took delivery of my Honda S2000 and that infatuation lasted for 7 years until I let her go. There is just a purity about the 718 that is hard to explain and I am awestruck at the power that she has - truly an amazing engineering fete. Happy to be here at P9 and look forward to some great chats on an amazing car! Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi! First time poster to Planet-9... Picked up my 718 Boxster S two days ago. Pretty much fully loaded (without Sport Chrono) and loving every second of it. There is a tremendous amount of criticism on this car, but I could care less. Haters be hating is just a way of life now. Downshift the PDK and hit the accelerator and I don't care what hairdresser or housewife supposedly drives this car too, but this thing is a rocket ship. I've heard the exhaust described as anemic, lame, lacking or whatever.... Top up, or top down I think it's downright sexy with tremendous popcorn and bolstered bass to turn heads from every direction. Clearly I am in the infatuation stage with this baby and the last time I felt like this was in 2000 when I took delivery of my Honda S2000 and that infatuation lasted for 7 years until I let her go. There is just a purity about the 718 that is hard to explain and I am awestruck at the power that she has - truly an amazing engineering fete. Happy to be here at P9 and look forward to some great chats on an amazing car! Thanks!

I totally agree with everything you said. I picked up my 718 S in July and as you said, it is amazing. The criticisms I have read are only opinions, nothing more. I don't waste any time on them, I am too busy enjoying the hell out of my 718.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would also like to ask that the 718 owners start sharing articles about their 718's with our members. Either in the DIY section or the Articles section. Items like oil changes etc. have not yet been covered for the 718 and in some cases will be different from prior 987 or 981 articles/DIY. I know it is early for modification articles but there are already some 718 mods out there like ECU tuning. So please consider sharing more of your experiences through articles not just in this forum topic. TIA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Next week, I plan on installing my mods for car module that I originally had in my 981s. They came out with a firmware update that once done will now allow the module to work with the 718. Pretty simple install with major benefits when operating the convertible top.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Next week, I plan on installing my mods for car module that I originally had in my 981s. They came out with a firmware update that once done will now allow the module to work with the 718. Pretty simple install with major benefits when operating the convertible top.
Sounds like SmarTop from Mods4Cars. I've had it in 3 of my last convertibles from Mercedes and BMW and am waiting for UPS to arrive today with my new module. This looks like the easiest of the installations I've had to do so far. The BMW 6 Series was like open heart surgery, but this one fits right under the driver seat. Easy install and a really classy uplift. Nothing better than walking out to the parking lot with buddies and your car top is coming down and they are just mesmerized by it. It's going to really make the 718 stand out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the site and just placed my order for a 718 Cayman and can't wait.

I wasted many hours on the configuration and at the end of the day spent way more money than expected, oh well... Porsche really knows how to market but the good thing is the seem to really give buyers what they want and some things that they didn't know that they wanted.. I almost bought the old Cayman in 2013 but after driving the 4 - turbo I'm glad I didn't.. I know a lot of Porsche 'purists' are complaining about the motor but I love it!! The acceleration is effortless, it sounds like a subaru (which I love), it's mid engine, under 3000 lbs, all the luxury that you desire, looks amazing, is likely easily tuneable with the turbo and THE TORQUE all for under 70k! It's not the fastest car I've owned by but based on the test drive it's probably going to be the most fun. I don't see any real competition at it's price point. I generally don't rev up during day to day driving which is why I was disappointed with the 981, it felt very slow under 3000 rpms

The only real downside is listening to the crap from other people, Ie it sounds like **** (other Porsche dudes), it's slow (big displacement dudes), and it's a chick car (generally honda drivers lol).. Luckily I'm comfortable in my own skin and don't really care what people say otherwise I would miss out on owning the only mid engine sports car under $100k (yes there are some low production lotus/alfa but they're not very comfortable)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 718 Boxster off the lot a couple weeks ago. My first Porsche and I love it. I was ready to order an S with a manual and some other options, but after test driving the base with PDK, it's so quick and the PDK is so good that I pulled the trigger. I'm coming from an Audi S5 Convertible supercharged V6 with DSG. It's Jet Black Metallic with beige interior, premium plus, sport seats, Bose, nav, connect plus, 20" wheels. Personally, I think the engine sounds great, though admittedly I have no experience with the previous flat 6. I like the growl of the turbo 4 and it really pulls over 2000 rpm. When driving around town, I can almost never wind out the gears, so I really like having an engine that delivers lots of torque. In sport mode, the engine really begs you to push it hard and basically won't shift if it's not going to keep you in the power band. IMO turbo lag is virtually non-existent. There are times when you can feel it. My only issue with the power delivery is that sometimes if you're in slow-moving traffic and not in sport mode and you want to quickly accelerate and change lanes, it lags a bit when you step on the gas, which can be a little disconcerting. I just quickly hit the sport button before making such maneuvers and the problem goes away. The S5 is fast, but doesn't feel nearly as quick or agile even in dynamic mode. I'm excited to get it on a race track.

My biggest complaint is that the PCM software doesn't seem completely finished. The iPod interface basically doesn't work. It will only play whatever was playing on the iPod before plugging it in. The navigation UI never comes up with my iPod classic or iPod touch. My car didn't have the $0 voice control option, which is a bummer. I know voice control is mostly terrible in all cars, but I can usually get it to call my wife, which is mostly what I'd use it for anyway. Also, because no voice control, the voice control button doesn't activate Siri either via CarPlay or bluetooth, which is also a real bummer. After using CarPlay, it feels a little odd to use the 8 mode buttons below the display. The touchscreen is so good, the PCM should all be done on the touchscreen IMO.

So far I haven't been impressed by the Connect Plus features. Google search works well, and I suppose Google earth & street view could be useful, but the rest of it, not so much. The only 2 streaming music apps are radio.net and napster. I suppose some people use them, but it would be nice to have Apple Music, Spotify and Pandora. It's also weird that I have to connect my phone to the car using wifi in order to get Porsche Connect apps even though there's already a bluetooth connection, though I suppose it's not too different from requiring a wired connection to use CarPlay. Hopefully we'll get wireless CarPlay at some point. Also w.r.t. Porsche Car Connect, locking and unlocking doors is fine, but I want to be able to control the windows and top in case of unexpected weather changes.

I had a SmartTOP controller for my Audi, which worked pretty well. I'm thinking about getting one for my Boxster also. I don't really have a problem holding the switch while the top goes up or down, but it's weird that the windows go half way down, then back up after the top is down. I almost never want that and I think the SmartTOP can be programmed to behave differently. The user should just be able to configure the windows up or down when putting the top down. And the SmartTOP will allow putting the top up/down from the remote.

Rumor has it there's going to be a PCM software update in October that will hopefully fix some of these issues. Or maybe someone will figure out how to fix some of them via coding (like the disabled voice control).

Anyway, I love the car. It's so much fun to drive. I certainly didn't buy the car for the entertainment technology, but I still expected this stuff to Just Work in 2016.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts