Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry Folks but I deleted this OP.

I meant it as a joke...irony...but somehow too many people didn't see the humor and were treating it as a real questions. Looked like it was going to be another pissing match between the 981/982 so I deleted it.

Sorry again.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
I don’t see that the 981’s have appreciated from what I’ve seen except perhaps the GTS because of its desirability/comparative rarity. I’m biased having a 718 S, but the car is superior in all ways, disregarding the soundtrack which is a matter of taste. I have friends with 981s, and the consensus is the performance differential is indeed something you will feel day to day, not just on the track.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can't decided between getting a new 718 Cayman S or a used 981.

Given how much the older models have appreciated because of the turbo F4 vs the NA F6, they are about the same price. I know the new car has lot more torque, better brakes, more HP, more precise steering...pretty much just better in every way. I actually prefer the slight exterior improvements and also the updated interior.

However, I think the sound of the 981 is just a bit more nostalgic.

I can't decide!! Should I pay more for the less capable car? Help!!!

(Before some of you get your knickers in a twist..I am only spoofing!!!!)
You've already listed all arguments that we'd respond with: 718 is better in every measurable way, 981 has sound... blah blah.

Picture yourself driving one everyday (or however you're going to drive it) - if the sound doesn't bother you, then why would you NOT get a new, "better in every way" car vs. spending the same $$ on a used car?

·
Registered
607 Posts
As someone who bought a 981 Base, if your choice was mine today I would probably go with the 718S. I would want a drive to see if the sound really bothered me, but from what I have heard on youtube I suspect it wouldn't.

Hard to buy new when the depreciation curve is so steep those first years so that's a consideration. But getting exactly what you want is not a bad thing!

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I see 718 interior as decline, not improvement. They just had to change something for the sake of change - and they decided to make a/c slots egg-shaped. Sorry I will never buy a car with that. Just can't get over it. I can see in my head german engineers trying to please the management in making a/c slots look like Merc/Audio, but not too much. So they like... hmm... round but not too round. Why don't we shape it like an egg?

Also, I'm not sure what improvement in steering you referring to. I'm pretty sure 981.2 changes were limited to some exterior changes + new turbo engine. Suspension and steering is exactly the same.

So better in every way - is very subjective statement. If you like the new engine and exterior upgrades - then it's better for you. If you don't like it - then it's worse really. I like the new rear, don't like new front, don't like new interior, don't like new engine. So basically nothing to drool over. I'll just keep my 981S, thanks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I see 718 interior as decline, not improvement. They just had to change something for the sake of change - and they decided to make a/c slots egg-shaped. Sorry I will never buy a car with that. Just can't get over it. I can see in my head german engineers trying to please the management in making a/c slots look like Merc/Audio, but not too much. So they like... hmm... round but not too round. Why don't we shape it like an egg?

Also, I'm not sure what improvement in steering you referring to. I'm pretty sure 981.2 changes were limited to some exterior changes + new turbo engine. Suspension and steering is exactly the same.
They advertise 10% quicker steering response or some such, from adopting the rack from the 3.8L 991TT. I haven't driven one, but I can't see how this wouldn't cross the thin line that separates "telepathic" from "fatiguing." Out of all the things I'd tweak or change in the 981, quicker steering is right up there with installing a neon kit from Pep Boys.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
They advertise 10% quicker steering response or some such, from adopting the rack from the 3.8L 991TT. I haven't driven one, but I can't see how this wouldn't cross the thin line that separates "telepathic" from "fatiguing." Out of all the things I'd tweak or change in the 981, quicker steering is right up there with installing a neon kit from Pep Boys.
Ah, thanks, I missed that. I'd like quicker steering on my 981S.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Want a new car with everything you want = 718
Want the fastest cayman/boxster = 718
Want the best sounding engine = 981
Want the cheapest price = 981

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if you can get by with a used car. If so, you then have to ask yourself if the power and power delivery of the 981 is acceptable to you. If so, you buy the 981. Else, 718.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Want a new car with everything you want = 718
Want the fastest cayman/boxster = 718
Want the best sounding engine = 981
Want the cheapest price = 981

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if you can get by with a used car. If so, you then have to ask yourself if the power and power delivery of the 981 is acceptable to you. If so, you buy the 981. Else, 718.
You do realize that when you specify fastest, it's by only a couple of tenths of a second to 60 MPH. Granted that is significant at a dragstrip, but irrelevant for the street.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You do realize that when you specify fastest, it's by only a couple of tenths of a second to 60 MPH. Granted that is significant at a dragstrip, but irrelevant for the street.

Yes, to me it doesn't matter, but some folks on here really care about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

·
Super Moderator
13,993 Posts
Sorry Folks but I deleted this OP.

I meant it as a joke...irony...but somehow too many people didn't see the humor and were treating it as a real questions. Looked like it was going to be another pissing match between the 981/982 so I deleted it.

Sorry again.
Originally Posted by Semitone

I can't decided between getting a new 718 Cayman S or a used 981.

Given how much the older models have appreciated because of the turbo F4 vs the NA F6, they are about the same price.

Given that you also posted this thread http://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/216833-time-put-up-shut-up-981-vs-982-a.html which directly contradicts this thread, you do realize your trolling the forum. Although you just signed up for the forum, you claim you had a 987 since 2006 and must know some people take these cars very seriously with passion on all things. But you did apologize. Good for you.

Both threads closed and no harm/no foul.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.