1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not sure I understand the need for more ratio's in a car with such a flat and broad torque curve, unless they are just trying to squeeze in an overdrive. On a 981, like mine, 8 speeds might make more sense, but on a 718 I don't know.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Was anyone aware of this development ?
Is this new transmission in the new 718 Porsche ?
https://passenger.lubrizoladditives360.com/porsches-timely-luxury-segment-boost-dct/
Other car makers are up to 10 speed transmissions so not sure what you think is so "wow" about this? These changes are for fuel econonmy, not performance. Did you read the article? It's for the Panamera not the 718. Your 7 speed PDK already has more gears than it needs now. Top speed is made in 6th. 7th is just an overdrive cruising gear for fuel economy and offers no further acceleration

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I understand that GM is up to 10 speeds with the 650 HP Camaro ZL1 model...and I do understand the 8 speed was for the Panamera.

My only question: Why the Panamera only and not the Cayenne or the new 718....that's all.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
No, I understand that GM is up to 10 speeds with the 650 HP Camaro ZL1 model...and I do understand the 8 speed was for the Panamera.

My only question: Why the Panamera only and not the Cayenne or the new 718....that's all.
Looks too big for the cars with the engine in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
832 Posts
@syswizard, Why not 8 speed PDK on a 718? First understand that the reason for having a transmission was to keep the engine at, or near, its performance peak. That is typically defined as the peak of the torque curve. When you have a wide flat torque curve, as do most turbo engines like the 718, the peak torque is spread over several thousand RPM. I did not look up the 718 specs, but torque is probably flat between around 1500 to say 5500 RPM. So you really probably don't need a PDK with 7 gears let alone 8. Upside is of course the fact you can add overdrive gearing and under certain conditions improve gas milage by allowing the engine to turn over at lower RPM. Less air moved through the engine less fuel consumed. Anyway, hope this helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that technical explanation Rich.
I take it the torque curve on the new Camaro can support 11 speeds then ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts