Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Whoa! With the new 997.2 Turbo just arriving at the dealers here in the U.S. the new "S" version is announced?

Sheesh, if I was waiting for delivery of a new turbo, I wouldn't be too happy about this!

EDIT:

523 HP (+30 HP)
516 ft-lb (+37 ft-lb)
PDK only(!)
PCCB, cornering lights, torque vectoring, center locks, sport chrono, etc all standard. Basically loaded to the gills with all the mechanical/performance options.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Can any of our European friends tell us where these movies were shot? The backgrounds and roads are amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I drove the new Turbo only last weekend and the dealer told me that the S was already on its way. I wouldn't be too keen on having a Turbo I ordered on the boat only to read this today.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Not sure all those who ordered a turbo would be upset, this will probably cost as much as a GT2!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Good point about the cost. If this is pushing $200K USD, ugh... But then again, when talking about cars at this price point, it probably won't make a bit of difference to the buyer. No one is "stretching" to buy a $140K+ car, unless they're nuts. :)

I will say that a certain percentage of these buyers would want the "top of the line" version of the Turbo no matter what (GT2 and GT3-RS excluded) and this announcement will give them pause about taking delivery of the car if it is already on the boat.

What's interesting to me is the PDK only limitation(?) on the "S" version. Is this Porsche dipping their toes in the water to see if they can get away with getting rid of a 6-speed manual? Look at Ferrari with the 458 Italia, no more manual...

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
According to the Autoweek alert I just received:

The fixed-roof version starts at $159,100, while the open-air version starts at $170,200...
OK, who has an order in???

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
It's actually a pretty good deal since the package includes PCCBs. I think the PDK is standard to make a statement that the tranny has the b*lls to handle the HP/torque and Porsche is willing to back that up w/ the Turbo S script on the tail. There are some new colors and a two tone interior as well. Since I'm already trying to stay out of jail w/ the C2S's 385HP (unintentioinally and undramatically hit 110 in Sport on a FL turnpike on ramp) I'll pass on either Turbo.;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Can any of our European friends tell us where these movies were shot? The backgrounds and roads are amazing.
Shot in the Franschoek and Du Toitskloof pass outside Paarl, about 70km north of Cape Town, South Africa (my back roads)

The 3rd video was shot next to the Theewaterskloof dam en route from Villiersdorp to Franschoek

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Thank you Kwaaiman. I guess I was a little bit off geographically... ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
.......What's interesting to me is the PDK only limitation(?) on the "S" version. Is this Porsche dipping their toes in the water to see if they can get away with getting rid of a 6-speed manual? Look at Ferrari with the 458 Italia, no more manual...
I don't like this trend one little bit...

I agree with Jay Leno on this. Sure, PDK and the like can shift more quickly, but I like the tactile sensations and control of a manual...

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I doubt the manual tranny is going to disappear. If nothing else it keeps the base pricing down! Seriously the Turbo S is a showcase for Porsche technology, hence the PDK, PCCB, and all the other available elctronics. You can build a standard Turbo with a manual and only lose 30 HP. Supposedly the S engine is just a remap of the standard Turbo ECU and some tinkering w/ the boost.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Nice, but I would be happy with a regular Turbo, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I don't like this trend one little bit...

I agree with Jay Leno on this. Sure, PDK and the like can shift more quickly, but I like the tactile sensations and control of a manual...
Ferrari isn't making a manual because they don't sell. Everyone is buying the paddles.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I doubt the manual tranny is going to disappear. If nothing else it keeps the base pricing down! Seriously the Turbo S is a showcase for Porsche technology, hence the PDK, PCCB, and all the other available elctronics. You can build a standard Turbo with a manual and only lose 30 HP. Supposedly the S engine is just a remap of the standard Turbo ECU and some tinkering w/ the boost.
This car is for AIG bonus guys who don't know jack about cars except that Porsches are cool. They walk in to the big P-car dealer and order it up. No decisions to make except the color. It's already got everything! I know guys who will buy these just for the thrill of trying out the launch control and going to dinner with from their place in the Hamptons. Life is beautiful.

Compared to other cars of this ilk, this is a bargain. It's only a Porsche, but it's THE Porsche.

With the money they have left over, they can buy a racing boat.

:cheers:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ferrari isn't making a manual because they don't sell. Everyone is buying the paddles.
This car is for AIG bonus guys who don't know jack about cars except that Porsches are cool.
Sounds like we need to keep buying plenty of manual Porsches, so the sales numbers, and this trend, don't spread this disease to Porsche.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Funny you mention this, the first 997 GT3 (I have a thing for those) I ever saw back in 2007 was in the Hamptons and this guy kept on launching it hard up and down Montauk Highway. I cringed at one point where he kicked up some major gravel with one wheel off the road.

I know guys who will buy these just for the thrill of trying out the launch control and going to dinner with from their place in the Hamptons...

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Phff.. 22kW extra & no 6MT, I'll simply buy a 997.2TT in 6MT and spend a miserly $2200 for a Softronic flash & wallah 153Nm of extra torque & 135hp and you've got yourself a turbo SSS :beer:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts