Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to cobble together a “981” badge for quite some time. I had reached out to various vendors about mixing and matching various generation 911, 986, 918 Spyder, etc. numbers together to get a “981” that would all match to no avail. However, when I reached out to Suncoast a few months back they mentioned that with the 718 Cayman/Boxster arriving we may be able to use that badge to get it right. Well, they began offering it recently and I went ahead and picked one up. The set consists of a “911” and “718” badge which you are meant to rearrange to get the desired 981. I have dropped these off at a body shop to have them painted gloss black to match my existing gloss black P O R S C H E badge on my hatch.
981 emblem.JPG
The plan is to leave that on the hatch and put “981 Cayman” on the rear bumper. At first I was planning on moving the P O R S C H E badge from the hatch to the rear bumper as well ala the GT4 but am concerned the trunk would look too bare (my car had the model delete) and that you might still see the “shadow” of the badge on the hatch when removed.
I will update with pics once I have received the badges back from the paint shop.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
and that you might still see the “shadow” of the badge on the hatch when removed.
You don't. At least not if you haven't left the car under the sun for years. I removed all model badges/decals since day 1, and not a trace of them. Just left the Porsche crest in the front, obviously. Just be careful with the removal (fishing line), roll the leftover foam adhesive with your fingers, and the final adhevise marks with WD40, then polish and wax and you're done. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have been looking to cobble together a “981” badge for quite some time. I had reached out to various vendors about mixing and matching various generation 911, 986, 918 Spyder, etc. numbers together to get a “981” that would all match to no avail. However, when I reached out to Suncoast a few months back they mentioned that with the 718 Cayman/Boxster arriving we may be able to use that badge to get it right. Well, they began offering it recently and I went ahead and picked one up. The set consists of a “911” and “718” badge which you are meant to rearrange to get the desired 981. I have dropped these off at a body shop to have them painted gloss black to match my existing gloss black P O R S C H E badge on my hatch.
View attachment 92433
The plan is to leave that on the hatch and put “981 Cayman” on the rear bumper. At first I was planning on moving the P O R S C H E badge from the hatch to the rear bumper as well ala the GT4 but am concerned the trunk would look too bare (my car had the model delete) and that you might still see the “shadow” of the badge on the hatch when removed.
I will update with pics once I have received the badges back from the paint shop.

I like the idea of repurposing the 718 lettering. It should be a LOT cheaper than the alternative, which is to buy a 918 badge. :hilarious:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the 918 badge is no more expensive really. Problem is the 918 badge had a green "lip" to it. There is a green underlying layer beneath the chrome part and even if you paint the whole thing it wouldn't match the other badges.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and that you might still see the ?shadow? of the badge on the hatch when removed.
You don't. At least not if you haven't left the car under the sun for years. I removed all model badges/decals since day 1, and not a trace of them. Just left the Porsche crest in the front, obviously. Just be careful with the removal (fishing line), roll the leftover foam adhesive with your fingers, and the final adhevise marks with WD40, then polish and wax and you're done. Good luck with your project.
I already removed the original chrome P O R S C H E badge and replaced it with the black badge and even after polish there was a faint "shadow" of the original badge from certain lighting. Moreso than that though I feel like the hatch would just look too bare with nothing on it. The gt4 has the big wing there sonit makes sense that they move all the badges to the rear bumper. I think leaving the Porsche badge where it is and putting "981 Cayman" on the rear bumper will look nice.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
View attachment 92433
All you (or some of us) now need is the S as possible here http://www.aasesales.com/collections/emblems/products/h1a-101002

:cheers:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All you (or some of us) now need is the S as possible here http://www.aasesales.com/collections/emblems/products/h1a-101002

:cheers:
The "981" lettering is approx 1.0"" tall so it matches perfectly with the standard 981 "Cayman" or "Cayman S" badge where the "C" of Cayman is also approx 1.0"" tall. I hope to have the badges back from the paint shop in a day or two, I will certainly post pics.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up the emblems from the paint shop last night and put them on. As I mentioned I opted to leave the P O R S C H E emblem on the hatch lid and put the “981 Cayman” on the rear bumper. My car came from the factory with the model designation delete so along with the “981” badge I had to buy the “Cayman” badge as well. Very happy with the results. One could just as easily put the 981 Cayman on the hatch or move everything to the rear bumper for a more GT4 like look. I’ll try to snap some daylight pics but for now just to give you an idea see below:
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
new "981" badge

@850tgul that's sick! I think you should move it all down to the bumper though. I have a pic of what mine looks like. I would love a 981 emblem but this seems like a spendy project!

Although it would be sick since my new plate that's coming in will say DIAL981

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If you want to keep it chrome and you already have the "Cayman" badge it should only set you back $90 for the 981 badge itself. Cost me a few bucks more because I had to buy the Cayman badge, the 981 badge, and then have them all painted black.
Reason I didn't move the Porsche emblem to the bumper as well is I just wasn't sure if id like the bare hatch without anything on it. To me, having the emblem there visually decreases the long stretched look of the mid engined fastback design. Without it I think the rear would look even more elongated. Just my opinion though, I'd love to see someone else pick one of these up and move everything to the rear bumper. Also was concerned with shadowing on the hatch if I removed the emblem. I saw it a bit when I removed the chrome Porsche badge and replaced it with the black one, even after a good polish.
Thanks to suncoast for offering this badge

·
Registered
40 Posts
Picked up the emblems from the paint shop last night and put them on. As I mentioned I opted to leave the P O R S C H E emblem on the hatch lid and put the “981 Cayman” on the rear bumper. My car came from the factory with the model designation delete so along with the “981” badge I had to buy the “Cayman” badge as well. Very happy with the results. One could just as easily put the 981 Cayman on the hatch or move everything to the rear bumper for a more GT4 like look. I’ll try to snap some daylight pics but for now just to give you an idea see below:
Looks really good! Able to take a zoomed out photo of the whole car when you have a chance?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been thinking about removing everything off the hatchback of my Agate Gray Cayman GTS and putting "PORSCHE GTS" on the bumper cover ala the GT4 (just with an "S" instead of a "4"); see this thread http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-modifications/129026-porsche-gts-only-badging-cayman-gts.html?highlight=gts+badge ; what do you think?

@850tgul, I like what you've done; could you take a photo with the spoiler down? How did you get the letters placed so well; it looks perfect? Thx.

BTW, the new 718 Cayman has no letters on the hatchback, this will be the look going forward.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does the "Porsche" emblem come already spaced out on a template? I like the rear only look a lot! Having "Porsche" with "981 Cayman" below would look cool- following the new 718 nomenclature ..hmm

·
Registered
92 Posts
No. The letters and numbers, etc. are individual pieces. There are templates are used at the factory (see 911 factory tour video) that allow for a perfect placement. Most dealers do not have these they run about $700 for each template. So lots of careful measurement is required. I haven't done this yet but this is what I learned.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No. The letters and numbers, etc. are individual pieces. There are templates are used at the factory (see 911 factory tour video) that allow for a perfect placement. Most dealers do not have these they run about $700 for each template. So lots of careful measurement is required. I haven't done this yet but this is what I learned.
Interesting. Thinking one could make a template by using transfer or tracing paper from the existing P logo, then cut out the letters. I'll sell to the dealer for $500 and have them pay me for once. Haha. Wondering if the letters need to be slightly curved with the lines of the bumper as it appears perfectly straight across on the hatch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow these all look great. i definitely like the new 718 badge placement. i saw the badges online at suncoast and asked my dealer about them. they dont have any templates for "981" so they told me i was on my own. can someone enlighten me about how badges are reapplied? I assume they are 1 time stick on. also curious how everyone gets the on so perfectly...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow these all look great. i definitely like the new 718 badge placement. i saw the badges online at suncoast and asked my dealer about them. they dont have any templates for "981" so they told me i was on my own. can someone enlighten me about how badges are reapplied? I assume they are 1 time stick on. also curious how everyone gets the on so perfectly...
When I replaced my chrome P O R S C H E badge with a black version i made a template with some thin cardboard ( think of a clothes box you get from Macy's or something) and laid it over the chrome badge. I then taped it down so it wouldn't move and carefully pressed down over the letters to get an impression of them on the cardboard. I then cut out the letters so that I could lay the template back down and place the new emblem in the right spot

·
Registered
323 Posts
...planning on moving the P O R S C H E badge from the hatch to the rear bumper as well ala the GT4 but am concerned the trunk would look too bare...
and/or the bumper just might look to 'crowded'

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks great!

Now just level and center it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts