Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a new to me 981 Cayman S 2014 with 37k on the clock from a local used dealer. Absolutely love it but while checking things over I spotted a few rust / corrosion issues under the bonnet and I was wondering if this is normal or if its something I should bring up with the dealer?

The car apart from this is amazing and has reignited the spark I had for motoring thats been missing for many years :)

Thanks for any guidance anyone can give me on this too.

All the best,

R

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It would cost Porsche (or any other manufacturer) a fortune to remedy every small rust area on cars exposed to salt. The only way to prevent that is buyer PPI or personal inspection on a lift. Personally, I hate cars that have been salted because it's like ringing a bell, there is no un-ringing it, it's in the body panels and down the window frames too. It doesn't look like a lot of time in the salt for what that's worth. Be advised, lower your expectations of dealers being reasonable or not trying to gouge you because almost every single one will.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has corrosion similar to that - as said its salt that causes it and once its on there it works its evil grip over everything.

Where that is, its only cosmetic so I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy the car!

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
727 Posts
I don't know how sensitive are the electronics in the bonnet area but I would wash the salt deposits out and corrosion by-product white deposits. Salt are good electrolytes promoting corrosion.

·
Administrator
1,349 Posts
Dunno how available it is in Europe - there is a product called "BoeShield" - created to prevent this sort of surface corrosion for the aircraft industry, where aluminum corrosion and rusted fasteners are really taken seriously.

The chap who owns the company for some reason thought it was a good idea to send me some samples a number of years ago.. and I've been using it ever since. Sprayed on any clean (non-oily) fastener or metal surface, it prevents rust and corrosion and seems to last a long time. One project on almost every Porsche and motorcycle I've owned is to clean and then spray fasteners and suspension components right after I've gotten it. So far - it's worked great.

You can buy it on Amazon, and read about it (and I think buy it) here: Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

Good stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts