Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings! I just picked up a 2014 Boxster S. It has the Sport Chrono package, PDK, Carrera 20s, PDK etc.

This is my first Porsche. My prior ride was a B8.5 Audi S4 which was my first foray with a German car. Prior to that I was driving a Shelby GT500. I have always owned a manual, so this time I decided to give the PDK a whirl. During my first week, I have managed to to take a few nice drives (Point Reyes, Half Moon Bay through Pescadero). So far so good. It drives great when you are out on the open road.

I am thinking about replacing the multi-function steering wheel with the Sport Wheel, if that's possible. I am not so sure about the push buttons. I think I'd prefer the paddles. I know that Techart has an aftermarket solution that I may consider as well. I'll give it some time, but I think that will be my first mod.

Anyway, here are a few pics...
IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0760.JPG IMG_0766.JPG

·
Registered
499 Posts
I do believe that porsche dealers can replace your steering wheel with a sports design one. I prefer the paddles myself also.

I don't have any experience with the techart attachements :) Enjoy the car!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got the delivery last week of my 2015 boxster s just like you did.

Multi functional wheel is too rubberish and a lot of small buttons to work with while driving. The worst of all, pdk buttons are counter-intuitive.

Enjoy~~

PS : how long did the burning smell linger? Mine still reeks of some burning even though it died much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

Multi functional wheel is too rubberish and a lot of small buttons to work with while driving. The worst of all, pdk buttons are counter-intuitive.

Enjoy~~

PS : how long did the burning smell linger? Mine still reeks of some burning even though it died much.

chickahoy, how do you like the power steering plus?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

Mine lingered for a few thousand miles. Even at 7,000 miles, I can occasionally smell it. Annoying, but nothing to be concerned about. For whatever reason, and I've heard many, it is common and seems to be normal.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mine lingered for a few thousand miles. Even at 7,000 miles, I can occasionally smell it. Annoying, but nothing to be concerned about. For whatever reason, and I've heard many, it is common and seems to be normal.
Now I can beathe a sigh of relief. Thank you Stan. Porsche always does something to be different i guess.

·
Registered
378 Posts
2014 Cayman S here which is driven only once or twice a week. Smell went away at about 3,7xx miles.
I dont wanna say goodbye to the interior smell but wanna stop smelling burning smell. Now i have about 3000 miles to go. Winter is just around the corner and have less time to drive.

·
Registered
378 Posts
chickahoy, how do you like the power steering plus?
Very smooth. Since I havent driven one without it. I cant really compare. I wonder how it would feel without PSP.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Congrats on your new Boxster, but I agree, the mult-function steering wheel with the buttons are not well thought out by Porsche. It seems like they will get rid of them with the new 981.2 and go with what's in the Macan, multi-function with paddles. Good luck with your research, it'll be interesting to know if you can swap it out. You attachment doesn't work for me.

I dont wanna say goodbye to the interior smell but wanna stop smelling burning smell. Now i have about 3000 miles to go. Winter is just around the corner and have less time to drive.
Just reached 10K miles on my BS and it's two years old, it still have that burning smell, you might have a long time to wait until it goes away. I just ignore it. I had cars with no cats and it has a horrible exhaust smell, this smells good compared to it. lol

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'm happy with my buttons--like doing all shifts with my right hand. Never had a paddle car, except for a one day rental, so not a fair comparison.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When people ask me what that smell is I say it's the scent of a race car :)

Reactions: Kindrunnermike

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
But do Osnabruk cars smell different than Stuttgart ones? Is the smell from the magic Porsche dust that they sprinkle on the engines? Will the turbo 4s smell worse?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Glad I ordered the Sport Wheel. If I'm not mistaken, you will also need the additional steering column stalk to handle the functions of the buttons - probably creating more installation hassles.

My 2 year old Boxster now has 22k miles and the smell is basically gone although it does occasionally reappear, especially after driving in the rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts