Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
987.1 Boxster S - 2005
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

So I bought my first 987! Sold my 6 speed manual M3 E46 last summer to finance a new apartment. But I really wanted a sports car again so I found this 2005 Boxster S with one previous owner here in Sweden 7800km (4 846 miles) Its in great condition. Not even ONE scratch! Never driven in winter, always kept in a garage. All services made my Porsche dealership. Last small service was performed in february. Last major service was performed on 2017-10 with spark plugs, brake fluid etc.

I was actually looking at 986s first but I really dislike those headlights so I searched for 987.1. I know the 987.2 doesn't have the IMS issues but here in Sweden they are 10-15K for expensive than .1.

I wanted the 3,2 liter engine specifically cause it doesn't have any risks of bore scoring like the 3,4 engine with the forged pistons.

How is it compared to my M3 E46? Well I had 343 horsepower in that machine so it's not the same acceleration feeling hitting the gas pedal at 5000rpm from second gear. To get that same acceleration feeling I have to be in first gear with the Boxster. But it's 285kg lighter and with the top down its on another level.

Is there anything that I should do prematurely to the car? I have no records of AOS, IMS or water pump. All the previous maintenance seem to have been all the basic stuff, brakes, fluids, plugs etc. There hasn't been any repairs or something replaced. I don't even know if I have the non replaceable IMS or the replaceable one.

'

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congratulations, wonderful example - a car that looks so new and fresh always feels special, so good job! It takes a couple weeks to get to know the car and create a list of things to do. If nothing seems to be wrong with it - you may pursue some preventative maintenance, with the replacement of the IMS, having magnetic oil drain plug to monitor engine health, having some savings for potential AOS and water pump replacement, maybe a CV joint work - hard to say on such a low mile example, you have to start driving it properly.

Happy motoring from Chicago!

·
Registered
'07 Cayman 'S'
42 Posts
Congrats ... nice acquisition. With the low mileage, I doubt there's much you need to worry about at the moment.

2005 would still have a replaceable IMS bearing. Some IMS bearings last a long time ... some don't. You might think about being proactive and have it replaced just for peace of mind - your call.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats. Great car, great pics as well. That is some crazy low mileage! I wouldn't think there would be too much to worry about, except perhaps some seals and such due to lack of running. If it's a late 05 you might even have the improved IMS which should eliminate that concern. Hard to know for sure though. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats. Great car, great pics as well. That is some crazy low mileage! I wouldn't think there would be too much to worry about, except perhaps some seals and such due to lack of running. If it's a late 05 you might even have the improved IMS which should eliminate that concern. Hard to know for sure though. Good luck.
Not trying to resurrect a sore issue... just wanted to pass this along.

I recently picked up a 2007 service manual for the 987 series. See below for some scans etc. related to this very issue:

My Car: 2005 987.1 Boxster S, 70,000 miles, no IMS issue.

Date of Manufacture: March 1, 2005

Engine Number: M96/26 62.504389

According to 2007 Porsche 987 Service Manual, the SMALLER IMS bearing was used up to engine 61.504715 on the M96/25 (base) engine and up to 62.504094 on the M96/26 (S) engine. All engines from 61.504716 (base) and 62.504094 (S) onward have the LARGER IMS bearing according to the service manual.

Is this gospel? I don't know, but, since Porsche published it, I'd give it some reasonable amount of weight if you're not right up on those numbers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's good info. Where did you find a service manual for the 987? I've not found one myself.

·
Registered
987.1 Boxster S - 2005
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations, wonderful example - a car that looks so new and fresh always feels special, so good job! It takes a couple weeks to get to know the car and create a list of things to do. If nothing seems to be wrong with it - you may pursue some preventative maintenance, with the replacement of the IMS, having magnetic oil drain plug to monitor engine health, having some savings for potential AOS and water pump replacement, maybe a CV joint work - hard to say on such a low mile example, you have to start driving it properly.

Happy motoring from Chicago!
Thank you! It really feels like new. No squeaks and rattles at all and it feels really firm in the steering and suspension.

Congrats ... nice acquisition. With the low mileage, I doubt there's much you need to worry about at the moment.

2005 would still have a replaceable IMS bearing. Some IMS bearings last a long time ... some don't. You might think about being proactive and have it replaced just for peace of mind - your call.
Nice to hear that you think its a great buy! If I have the replaceable IMS bearing I sure want to get it replaced quite soon!

Yeah the crazy low mileage made me call on the ad first thing I saw it haha!

Not trying to resurrect a sore issue... just wanted to pass this along.

I recently picked up a 2007 service manual for the 987 series. See below for some scans etc. related to this very issue:

My Car: 2005 987.1 Boxster S, 70,000 miles, no IMS issue.

Date of Manufacture: March 1, 2005

Engine Number: M96/26 62.504389

According to 2007 Porsche 987 Service Manual, the SMALLER IMS bearing was used up to engine 61.504715 on the M96/25 (base) engine and up to 62.504094 on the M96/26 (S) engine. All engines from 61.504716 (base) and 62.504094 (S) onward have the LARGER IMS bearing according to the service manual.

Is this gospel? I don't know, but, since Porsche published it, I'd give it some reasonable amount of weight if you're not right up on those numbers.

View attachment 269158

View attachment 269159
This is great info! What is the easiest way for me to see my engine number?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It’s on the bottom of the block, on the right side (Boxster lineup), just above the oil pan. Here’s a picture of mine. I just crawled under the rear and snapped it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's good info. Where did you find a service manual for the 987? I've not found one myself.
Total dumb luck actually.

Met a local guy who has a 981 and in a conversation he mentioned he had a 987 prior and that he had a digital version of the manual if I wanted copy.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
hi Martin, a great looking car (a manual too!) and very nice pics!
wishing you many years of enjoyment in good health!

there are a few approaches you can use when it comes to the maintenance. perhaps you can pay close attention to the car's condition over the next few months and get it inspected to find any issues early. Many also subscribe to the - if its not broken - dont fix it - style. Preventative maintenance based on age/mileage - this easily applies to fluids, oil, coolant, pads and other consumables.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ohh thank you! Will try to crawl under to try find it! Or maybe go to a lift ha ha.
I, personally, wouldn't lose a lot of sleep if the engine is outside of the range. I owned the car for a while before I found the information in the service manual and focused more on the 92%+ of cars that have no IMS issues.

·
Registered
987.1 Boxster S - 2005
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi Martin, a great looking car (a manual too!) and very nice pics!
wishing you many years of enjoyment in good health!

there are a few approaches you can use when it comes to the maintenance. perhaps you can pay close attention to the car's condition over the next few months and get it inspected to find any issues early. Many also subscribe to the - if its not broken - dont fix it - style. Preventative maintenance based on age/mileage - this easily applies to fluids, oil, coolant, pads and other consumables.
Cool that you like it! Manual 6 speed is a must for me! I think it's much more fun :D

I, personally, wouldn't lose a lot of sleep if the engine is outside of the range. I owned the car for a while before I found the information in the service manual and focused more on the 92%+ of cars that have no IMS issues.
I actually called a Porsche service center here in Stockholm, I talked with a mechanic who has been working there for 13 years. He only had two 987 with blown IMS bearings in all those years. He said that there is a big market selling expensive bearings to scared Porsche owners. He ended the conversation with "just drive it and have fun"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow looks brand new. This is my second boxster and I've decided not to do anything about the ims. Mine is also a 987.1 and at 85k miles I'll take the risk. I just drive it hard and change oil religiously. I agree w others who say very few of these engines actually destruct. My mechanic is a Porsche mechanic with 25 years exp and he's never had one case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts