Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm extremely excited to join the CS family, coming from a decent list of BMW M cars, and having owned a 997.2 C2S as well as a Cayman R in the past. My CR ownership was not long enough to get to know the car at the same level as I've gotten to know the other driving machines, so I have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer for me. I am familiar with the search option; however, given the popularity of the car, results can be overwhelming at times!

1) Does the front bumper need to be removed to replace the side vent grills underneath the fog lights? If not, what's the strategy? I'd like to replace the ones on the car currently.

2) Though the car looks fantastic, the previous owner did not treat the front lip spoilers all too well (scraped), and I'd like to replace those as well. Are they as simple as they seem to replace?

3) Are there any replacement options to the OEM CS wing? I'm not looking for a fixed one, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with the replacement wings for the one that raises/lowers.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning much, as well as becoming a contributor for this forum in the near future!

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
I cannot answer your questions, but a Hello and Welcome are in order since it is your first post.

And a great looking CS you have there.

Eddie

·
Registered
336 Posts
Welcome! I can't answer your first question, but as for replacing the front lower lip spoilers - yes, replacements available at a very reasonable price from Suncoast, at least for the 987.1. I replaced mine, as the PO of my car had severely scraped much of the front underside going in and out of his garage. I also replaced several other bits that had been scraped away - again, check out Suncoast. As for replacement wings - there are companies that make after-market versions, some just modestly larger than stock, and others that are quite ... dramatic. But if you want to keep the stock action of raising and lowering I don't think there are too many options other than OEM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the warm welcome, fellas! I will go ahead and order the front bumper spoilers - as stated above, they are very reasonably priced!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I'm in the same boat as you with scraped splitter on passenger side. I've noticed a very nice fixed wing on eBay that is prepainted, but one must drill holes, and I'm not keen on that idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Speedart has a rear wing that replaces the oem one, it raises and lowers with the factory mechanism

·
Registered
63 Posts
Congratulations.

I'm not sure about the 987.2 but the bumper does not need to be removed on the 987.1 so perhaps it's the same. If an answer is not otherwise provided you might look up instructions that come with the led spar upgrade for the .1.

As for that front splitter you can order new ones, or it's actually quite easy to repaint the ones you have. Remove, sand, repaint and replace. This is an especially good option if you want to experiment with different colors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you folks! And agreed, I'm not inclined to drilling holes, so I'm just looking for rear wing options that work with the OEM mechanism.

Splitters are easy to remove and install. That looks like a Cayman R splitter you have on there now.
Excellent eye! My car was purchased by the original owner and modified by Porsche to be a hard-top twin to the owner's Boxster Spyder - all of the interior trim was removed and painted to match the exterior of the car (sport seats backs included) as well. As a pair, they won a show back in 2010 :) … I want to replace the front spoilers while I have the ones currently on the car resprayed; since I plan to let them cure for about 30 days before applying clear bra material, I want to have something to replace them with!

·
Registered
866 Posts
I cannot answer your questions either but congrats and a nice looking car!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I cannot answer your questions either but congrats and a nice looking car!
Thank you! Based on your signature it seems that we have similar tastes in automobiles...I've owned 4 M3's (two e46's and two e90's), and after getting tired of looking for an Exige and only seeing about 7 for sale in the entire country, I ended up switching my focus and going for the Cayman S! No regret so far. My Cayman R ownership was rather short, so I was hesitant about the S and its lack of LSD, but so far it doesn't seem like it really needs it. Lotus by default advises against LSD's as well...interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speedart has a rear wing that replaces the oem one, it raises and lowers with the factory mechanism
Hey there! Looking at your signature, I'm very interested in that engine cover. I went on their website, but they do not have the price listed. May I ask how much it runs? Insulation-wise, does anymore heat get transferred than normal into the cabin? How's the fit and finish?

Thanks!!

804 Posts
Hello and welcome to the community!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you to help enhance the driving experience of your new Cayman! We offer a fantastic array of products including exhausts, intakes, and ECU tunes. In addition, we can source anything for you including suspension, brake, wheel upgrades and anything you may be interested in to upgrade the presentation of your vehicle.

PM sent of the wing, and hope to hear from you soon!

Porsche 987.2 (2009-2012) exhaust, Intake and ECU upgrades

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello and welcome to the community!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you to help enhance the driving experience of your new Cayman! We offer a fantastic array of products including exhausts, intakes, and ECU tunes. In addition, we can source anything for you including suspension, brake, wheel upgrades and anything you may be interested in to upgrade the presentation of your vehicle.

PM sent of the wing, and hope to hear from you soon!

Porsche 987.2 (2009-2012) exhaust, Intake and ECU upgrades
Hi there, thanks! I'm just looking for a wing that works with the OEM mechanism...I've sourced a thread that advertised the ones I liked as "The Wing" and "The Wing XL"...apparently an independent vendor though.

As far as other modifications go, I'm probably not going to do much, as the car offers a balanced and enjoyable package as is. If the mod bug bites, I'll be sure to check out your site! :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cant remember the exact price but i wouldnt say it gets much hotter in the car compared to normal. You do hear a lot more of the mechanical noises of the engine though (which i like)

Theres an extensive thread on this forum somewhere comparing the 3 different glass covers, check it out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cant remember the exact price but i wouldnt say it gets much hotter in the car compared to normal. You do hear a lot more of the mechanical noises of the engine though (which i like)

Theres an extensive thread on this forum somewhere comparing the 3 different glass covers, check it out!
Thanks! Do you remember a ball park price? I just want to get an idea on which route I want to go...I'll make a search for that thread comparing the different options.

As far as the mechanical sounds go, I'd love more of it...that's what I liked about the Cayman R, which was relatively louder inside the cabin!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts