Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been looking for a 944 for my son for several months and bought one on ebay this evening after inspecting the car this afternoon. All of the major expense items on the car were done and it's been sitting in the garage under a cover for several years.

Will spend the next week reading the manual and changing the fluids. The following weekend will be spent teaching him how do drive the stick. The look on his face when we bought the car "PRICELESS".
:cheers:

·
Porschiste
1,444 Posts
I've always liked the 944. :picsplz:
Moi aussi....great car. Wheeler Dealers (UK) did a great segment on this car. If you have not seen it, you can find it in two parts on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
yeah, I watched the wheeler dealer episodes. pretty cool. I was kinda bummed to see them gut the interior, but overall it turned out great.

To the OP, can I ask what sites you used to search for your 944? I've been watching autotraders.com, cars.com, cargurus.com, rennlist, ebay, craigslist (several cities)... am I missing something obvious??

·
Super Moderator
1,822 Posts
Congrats. It will be a great project car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've bought both my CS and the 944 through ebay. I try to buy local and use ebay, craigslist, independent P auto shops and word of mouth. I spend some time talking with the owner and get as much information / maintenance history as possible. If it sounds good, I go and inspect / test drive the car before I begin bidding. I have a target price that I'm willing to work with and in both cases it worked out. I'll post some pictures once I get it tagged and back to the house later this week.

We've already laid down the rules regarding driving the 944. He also understands that the right to drive is also tied to maintaining A/B's in school.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Way to go, Dad! This will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship between father/son and Porsche projects and adventures.
John :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a picture of us with our cars. His skills with the 5 sp are much improved. Dad is now teaching him things like entering and exiting twisties. the only thing left to do is flush the cooling system and replacing the hoses. Pelican Parts is seeing more and more of my money!
View attachment 22821

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
Congrats - the car looks great! You son is one lucky boy.

I just picked up a 944S2 about three months ago as a DD and track car. It's no CS, but man is it fun to drive! It's very mechanical and direct and the handing is really quite good. Though the 944 goes about it in a different way, the handling traits are somewhat similar to the CS.

Parts and maintenance aren't cheap (as one friend said, "Why have one when you can have two for the price of both!"), but once everything is sorted out it should be good to go for a while.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately my son's 1989 944 caught fire last Friday afternoon and was a total loss. I had stopped at traffic light and heard a pop under the hood. Within a few seconds, smoke and flames were coming out between the hood and front fender. I was able to alert the traffic in the intersection and drive to an open area of a 7-11 parking lot where I shut the car down, pulled the E brake and pulled the fire extinguisher from the passenger seat. Went through the dry chem extiguisher as I was calling 911. The first emergency vehicle that showed up couldn't get the pump running so we had to wait until the next vehicle showed up before we could get some water on the car. A bit frustrating as being a volunteer firefighter and standing with the hose nozzle at my son's car and not getting any water to put on the car

Called the shop and followed the tow truck to the shop and started to try to identify the cause. Appears that something in the fuel line failed based upo nwhere the greatest damage was in the engine compartment. Waiting on the insurance co to see what the they'll pay. My son refused to look at the pictures and only saw the car today. Only got upset after we left the shop. With this being his first car, it had a bit more of a special meaning.

He did say that after having a P car, any other car would be a step backwards : ). We're pulling all of our receipts over the past 5 years and trying to locate sales of similar 944's as I suspect the intial quote from the insurance company will come in low. Hopefully he'll be behind the seat of another P car soon.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Sad to hear that the car is a write-off. Fortunately, there's a large enough pool of 944s that if you're patient, you can find a good one. Alternatively, there are some smokin' deals to be had on 986s.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sorry to hear :( but there are plenty of 944's available, you guys will find another.

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
Sorry to hear of the loss of your sons 944!

Sadly, circumstances are forcing me to part with my '90 S2. I have a track buddy with right of first refusal who will be checking the car out in about a week. If he passes, I can send you information if you might be interested.

2008 CS - Meteor Grey, Cocoa
1990 944S2 - India Red, Linen

I love these cars!

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
I didn't realize how old this thread was so I was reading along and "liking" everything. Then I read the post about your son's car being destroyed. That is so sad. Maybe you can find another one. At least you and your son shared the experience of working on a car together. That's priceless.

·
Registered
619 Posts
yeah, I watched the wheeler dealer episodes. pretty cool. I was kinda bummed to see them gut the interior, but overall it turned out great.

To the OP, can I ask what sites you used to search for your 944? I've been watching autotraders.com, cars.com, cargurus.com, rennlist, ebay, craigslist (several cities)... am I missing something obvious??
The only other place I know of is the Excellence Magazine Classified Section.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts