Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
All of the TCP kit setup is top quality, but I have the feeling that the airbox part can probably be improved to match the rest of the kit

Making a list of the steps that required the most use of bad words during the installation (that's my metric for the amount of work needed per each step), the parts that needed the most use of exotic and very strong bad words screamed at the open air in a mix of languages, of course when there is no person in the area, see I'm very polite :) were the airbox modification (complete with the installation) and the manifold removal and install (several times during this step I sworn to never ever remove the manifold without taking the engine out of the car)

I see in another post that for an installation a new airbox was produced, I suppose in a CIA type, just enough to cover the air filter from the engine and exhaust heat and to direct the outside air from the snorkel to the airfilter (just an airfilter cover)

I would gladly pay ~500 more if this part were included with the kit, to avoid modding the box without any templates (making the cuts and measures by eye only), because after all of the long days cutting, with several tools, using the dremel to make the finish to look like OEM, then the filter was intalled at the end and pummmm, the airbox cap dont close with the airbox filter installed and there is a gap at the side where the heat is directed

Im considering the possible solutions, and what seems to be the best is to just completely cut the airbox and extract it in small parts and replace with a full, smaller plastic cover that cover only the airfilter and sits in the sidewall, because if you ask me, no way that I'm going to remove the manifold to take the airbox out and re modify it

Is there any premade solutions to this? probably, if a new airbox was produced for another installation you might produce a new piece and sell it (even if it is a custom made order)

Or is there any link or reference on the net of what materials can be used for this (to produce a cap for the airfilter) that support a high level of heat transfer and soak and can be easily molded and can fit this project?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something along these lines (295 shipped with K&B included):

3 986 Boxster Cold Air Intakes INSTOCK - 6speedonline.com Forums

or these (the third in the picture, 80? + shipping):

AFE 54-10469 at AutoAnything

Even if it costs 700 (or whatever) more I would have been very happy to include with the order to avoid that step

Seems that I will have to take the hose, filter and MAF out, dremel the airbox plastic a few to relocate the MAF closer to the wall and wrap all of it with a heat shield foil, without taking the airbox out from the car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts