Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new twist on what may be an old problem... My alarm started going off by itself shortly after I installed my new Pioneer AVIC X920BT. I've done some searching on this forum and have read that the alarm is prone to RFI from microwaves. Is it a coincidence that my alarm has gone off when I've forgotten my iPhone in my armrest compartment? I wired the stereo so the iPhone goes in the armrest- I haven't given it a real test yet, but I'm thinking that if I leave the phone in the car and set the alarm, the phone might be setting off the alarm. Does anyone know if there is an alarm sensor tied to the CDR24 that I should disable if I remove the OEM radio? I don't have any other ideas unless I have a bad sensor as some others have mentioned on the site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks-
No XM, phone is on vibrate and ring... This is AT&T which generates a lot of RF interference. And I believe I reset everything. Interesting thing is- I haven't had the problem ever since I started removing the iPhone when I left the car. Not much research yet, just one day- but it may actually be the phone!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks-
I'll have to check the electrical tape on the wire, wish I knew more about the reason, and what the unused wire is connected to. Strangely, it is two days now without an alarm problem as long as I take my iPhone with me. I'll have to leave it in there too as a test...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: New alarm theory strange but true...

OK-
I put my iPhone in the car this morning, locked it and walked inside... Within 5 minutes the horn was honking! I will try this again when I get a chance, but it looks like I have a Cayman with the iPhone reminder option!:confused:

·
Registered
284 Posts
If memory serves me correctly the interior motion sensor is in the arm rest in the cayman. I seem to remember reading (on threads on this forum) where the sensitivity of the sensor has been affected by keeping change in the armrest. If you search you will find people have experimented with leaving the windows open, setting the alarm and sticking a hand in the car. The perimeter alarm is supposed to go off. It seems having change in the armrest can affect this sensor.

The iPhone gives off RF in GSM and blue-tooth which may/not be causing some trouble for you. This may be where the trouble lies, try removing everything from the armrest and ashtray. If you want to really experiment, put the phone in airplane mode and leave it in the car; try various combinations until you find the culprit. If this works perhaps relocating the phone to the pocket under the climate control would be a better option, this is where I keep my phone when plugged into my Kenwood DNX7140.

One more thing, for all my searching, everything I have found says there is no way to disable the Porsche alarm or its components as they are integrated into the car making afetrmarket alarm solutions unadvisable. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks
I'll definitely keep experimenting. I'm parked in the Watergate garage all day today. Just checked with the attendent- no alarm so far, and my phone is here with me. I remember reading about the armrest sensor too...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe that Chris135 is right. What happens is that any metallic objects placed in the arm rest compartment will vibrate when a loud car drives by or if the ground shakes and then it would trigger the interior sensor making it act more like a impact sensor. I use to have my alarm false a lot, and I removed the coins from the compartment and I have not had any more false alarms.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On page 25 of the '06 Cayman manual I found this:
-------------------
Deactivating the passenger compartment monitoring system for one locking process
If a person or animal remains in the car while it is
locked, the passenger compartment monitoring
system must be switched off.
Quickly lock car twice. The doors are locked but can be opened from
the inside:
1. Pull inner door handle once to unlock door
lock.
2. Pull inner door handle again to open door.
Note
Inform any person remaining in the car that the
alarm system will be triggered if the door is
opened.
---------------------
-So you CAN disable the interior monitoring using this method-
but it seems I actually have zero problems as long as I remove the phone. Don't know why it is like this for me, but not others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
lol. This happens to me when i leave my S3 in my armrest and leave the car. Strangest thing ever. Phone is on "silent" mode but the bluetooth is on (not sure if this matters?). So that eliminates vibration or sound. Replicated several times. Very bizarre. 2008 Cayman base.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's the data connection, not voice. They run on different freq. if I remember right. My phone checking for mail causes my home theater and home computer speakers to buzz worble buz buz worble worble buz buz. It drives my wife nuts. I can fully understand how it would trip the prox sensor in the car. My guess is the Boxster and Cayman have the same alarm options. The Boxster has a radar field proximity sensor that, oddly, only works when the roof is closed and doors locked. Reach inside and off she goes. RF interference is nothing new but only going to get worse. Remember when automatic doors set off radar detectors when you drove past a Walgreens? We're now in the LTE higher power range so the data connection on the phone causes probably 10 fold what it used to 2 years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.