Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share my new boxster! Just picked it up this week from the original owner. It's a 98 with 133k, original motor and trans, even original clutch.

Started tearing it apart the day I got it on Tuesday. Stripped out some carpet and sound deadening. Threw on some Pss9's, GT3 LCA's, Pagids and slotted rotors, stainless lines and motul. Whipped up some decals for an event this weekend at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana to shake her down.

All work being done by myself and crew at Hergesheimer MotorSports in Orange County.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to corner balance and align it tomorrow, maybe strip out some more weight. I'll be on street Michelin all seasons at the track this weekend but can still have some fun it it. Shake it down a little and then try to schedule the cage work. I'm hoping to join the POC and NASA boxster spec racers ASAP.

Thanks to Northten Marketing (Owner is forum member here) for helping me get my project off the ground. Any marketing needs? see ..::::: ] n o r t h t e n  i n c. [ :::::.. Shameless plug I know...
SSF Auto Parts also pitched in and delivered the goods to my door.
My shop, Hergesheimer MotorSports is contributing to the project and we expect to jump into the boxster and cayman spec series and have some fun. Please let me know if we can help you out!:thanks:

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Congratulations Eric.

Northten is very excited to be involved in this exciting project.

For those who do not know Eric, he is dynamite in his 914 and holds his own against much more powerful cars. I know he will be very very competitive in no time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks bud, I think the 914 skills should transfer over to the boxster nicely.

Update on the car:
It's at 2885 with me in it for now. Still stock seat and carpet on the interior as well as the cab top.

Been corner balanced, set ride height, and aligned.

I'll be out at Fontana (Auto Club Speedway) this Saturday running the car with PCA. Stop by and say hello if you're out there. I'll be in garages 12/13.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will you be removing the roof?
Yep. Roof comes off in the next couple weeks along with all the motors, cables etc.

A fiberglass shell will be used to make it a "coupe"
The shell mounts to the roll cage. Those are my next two big purchases. Then it's seats, harnesses, fire system, RACE!

I can fine tune the handling, play with springs, sway bars etc. over the rest of the year for next season. I just want to get out here and have some fun asap. :dance:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going out to run with these guys and gals in the Porsche Owners Club.

This was from a race this past weekend at Willow Springs

pictures taken by Chris Campbell, he posted them on pelican.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the GT3 LCA's go, did you opt in installing them in the front or rear, or on all four corners?
I just installed them on the front. Got about -3° in front.

The rear does not need them to get the 2.5° or 3° I plan on running. You can get this with just lowering the ride height. I suppose you could install them but it would just be unnecessary expense imho.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. You'll see it soon!

Had a great day at Fontana. We were out there with some pretty heavy metal. There was a 71 ferrari 512m(last sold for over 2 million euros!) in my run group! Lots of Gt3's and even some cup cars. I was in the L Stock boxster with top off, sunglasses on, stock seats and old pilot sport's:crazy: :helpme:

Car ran great, tires would get hot and push in the middle of the turns at the end of the sessions as expected. Best was in the 1:20's, about a second off the bsx track record there so not bad. BSR is another 5 seconds.

Next stop is ax in San Diego next weekend. Then it really starts transforming.

I'll have some action pictures soon. But I have an in car video for now. In HD if you choose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last week we put a third radiator and a 996/ "S" oil cooler on. Converted the cooling fluid from antifreeze to water wetter and h20. Also put in a lower temperature thermostat, and removed the a/c condensers from the front radiators. No screens needed for AX, they'll be on soon. Took it down to PCA SDR AX to try the stuff out.
Got a little meaner:hilarious:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This week has been productive so far. Got the AASCO lightweight flywheel, Sachs race clutch disk and pressure plate spelled out in the rulebook. Replaced the release bearing, guide tube, release arm, needle bearing, flywheel seal and all hardware. Did NOT do the IMS upgrade from L&N Engineering against my better judgement. I'm gathering it's technically illegal so I'm putting it off until it gets approved I guess.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Installed a new RSS Underdrive crank pulley. One of the and cheapest and effective things you could do for your track car. Helps save your accessories from the high RPM and heat while freeing up load on your motor. BSR rules allows for a 4" pulley, but I opted for the RSS model that is a bit larger. The effects would be more pronounced the smaller the drive pulley is, so larger is not optimum but within the rules. I know they make a good product and I've installed them before.
I removed the a/c compressor, all the lines and installed a shorter belt.
Motor should rev much quicker with the lightened rotational mass of the three changes. was too busy to take pictures this time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Today was the diet day. I'm going to do the majority of stripping and clean up and just reinstall the necessities for the Time Trial event. The car needs to have full interior and carpet to stay in "improved" class. If I completely gut it I need a full roll cage for "prepared". I just want to get one more event in it before the cage build starts.

We'll be installing some trick low level seat brackets for my new Recaro pro racer containment seat. The 996 RSR steering wheel and quick release went right on today during a test fit! Harnesses and a fire bottle along with a battery/electrical cut-off switch to meet safety requirements for POC. A roll bar extension should be showing up tmrw as well. It will be for sale after the event if anyone is interested..

I removed the dash cover, carpet, center console, and door panels to be reinstalled later.
Then the a/c and heater system including, ducts, motors, lines, control unit is out for good.
The speakers were all removed and I separated them from the cover grilles so they can go back on.
All four airbags and the sensors are out, sooo heavy.
Removed the door glass, lifters and motors.
So when I put the thing back together with interior it should still be significantly lighter. I may have to add ballast to reach the 2796 that's needed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow, you move quick!
Yeah two events and two weeks later! It's been at the track or in the shop about every day since I got it. Should be a full race trim BSR for August at Laguna Seca. It'll be put together for the POC Tribute Weekend Time Trial, a PCA OCR AX, and then stripped down for the cage build around mid-June.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.