Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a set of new front pads (OEM, Textar) on the front of my Cayman GTS. I noticed that after a hard track session yesterday there was a light smoke coming from the front brakes on both sides. I did an easy "break in session" on the pads before I really got on them hard.

The pads stop the car very well and did not seem to wear abnormally otherwise. Is the smoke normal? Is this just the resin on the backing plate burning off? I never had any smoke from the previous set of OEM pads.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The hard session bedded the pads more aggressively than most people are able to do on the street. A little smoke (and a lot of smell) isn't problematic. If you did a cool down lap, and let the car sit in the pit or paddock without applying the brakes, you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
In addition to what others have written, watch for a color change in the paint of the calipers (Assuming they are red in color). That indicates there is too much heat and besides darkening the paint color, it can damage the rubber seals around the pistons, eventually leading to leaks.

If you see a color change, you can help this via increased air ducting and titanium shims behind the pads to reduce heat transfer into the calipers. Gt4 fenderliners increase air flow to the front brakes and 997 GT3 rear ducts fit 981s. Part numbers for both are in my modification thread, although you'll have to look around through the 33 oages, The GT3 rear air ducts are only effective if you have larger rear rotors, 345mm or larger.

Be careful of titanium shims that don't advertise the alloy used. Pure titanium is the same or worse than stainless in heat transfer. The best alloy is a 6Al-4V titanium (Vanadium Aluminum) alloythat iinhibits heat transfer better than stainless steel.

V6

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.