Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to get an allocation for a new C4. It seems like pulling teeth. Dealers don't respond and the one who did initially doesn't respond to emails etc. Maybe hassling him too much but expected better for a 100k plus car purchase. Was told a C4S is easier. But none to drive. Is it worth the extra coin? I priced a C4 build at 114k and a C4S at 128k. My SA is supposed to call me back to discuss. I don't plan on tracking the car. Mostly for backroads, trips, driving in the snow etc. so I thought the C4 was plenty and I like the idea of 19 inch wheels with extra sidewall just like my BS. Just wait?
And if C4s what discount should I aks for? 6%? I will trading in my low mileage 13 BS so they will make money on that as well.
Thanks guys. Appreciate any input. I am afford both but the car needs to fit my driving style and needs.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I drove a new 991.2 C2 and a C4S back to back when the first came out...so not able to make a direct comparing between a C4 and a C4S. I came away thinking that unlike on 997s and 991.1s, the non-S had more than enough oomph as a daily driver. That said, if cost isn't a concern, I think the S is money well spent. If it's going to be a 365 DD, just get a set of the 19s as winter wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove a new 991.2 C2 and a C4S back to back when the first came out...so not able to make a direct comparing between a C4 and a C4S. I came away thinking that unlike on 997s and 991.1s, the non-S had more than enough oomph as a daily driver. That said, if cost isn't a concern, I think the S is money well spent. If it's going to be a 365 DD, just get a set of the 19s as winter wheels.
Thanks. Strangely, I just got off the phone from my SA and even though he has a 4s slot, he advised me to wait for a C4 slot. He didn't think the 4s was worth the extra money or that it is was suitable for my kind of driving. He said he will let me know in about eight weeks minimum or could be four months. Might as well as drive the Boxster on the dry days we get in NH.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'm missing something. How could an S make it less suitable? Isn't it just more power? Better brakes? I'm not informed about 911s, so I'm extrapolating from 981s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm missing something. How could an S make it less suitable? Isn't it just more power? Better brakes? I'm not informed about 911s, so I'm extrapolating from 981s.

I haven't driven the 991.2 4s but here is what I am told and have read and experienced. The engine is the same 3 liter flat six but the base Carrera has smaller turbos and a more natural feel to it like a NA flat six. For street driving, it is plenty powerful and its performance matches the old NA flat six 3.8l in the 991 S. I have driven the base 991.2 and it is ferociously fast. I don't need more speed. In fact, it makes the old 3.4L in my BS feel like a laggard. The base is also 14k cheaper which is better spent on options than more power, an eLSD and bigger brakes. Finally, I prefer the standard 19 inch wheels on the base Carrera with more sidewall because they ride better. At least in my BS, I chose the 19s because without PASM, the 20s were much too harsh.
I should thank my SA because instead of going for the easy sale, he considered my driving needs and recommended the C4. Now to wait.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I haven't driven the 991.2 4s but here is what I am told and have read and experienced. The engine is the same 3 liter flat six but the base Carrera has smaller turbos and a more natural feel to it like a NA flat six. For street driving, it is plenty powerful and its performance matches the old NA flat six 3.8l in the 991 S. I have driven the base 991.2 and it is ferociously fast. I don't need more speed. In fact, it makes the old 3.4L in my BS feel like a laggard. The base is also 14k cheaper which is better spent on options than more power, an eLSD and bigger brakes. Finally, I prefer the standard 19 inch wheels on the base Carrera with more sidewall because they ride better. At least in my BS, I chose the 19s because without PASM, the 20s were much too harsh.
I should thank my SA because instead of going for the easy sale, he considered my driving needs and recommended the C4. Now to wait.

What Anand said. I will also add that the new Turbo engines develop max torque at 1700 rpm (well below the NA 911s) so it feels really fast (and is really fast) right out of the gate. The new 991.2 Base Carreras have been tested by Car and Driver to be faster than the 991.1 GTS cars. Sure the 4S is better but it's over kill for the street. These new turbos are really fast. GTS is better than the 4S, and GT3 better than the GTS and GT3RS is better than the GT3....you get the picture. It's not worth the $14k additional cost IMO.

Porsche is making a killing on the new 991.2 S and GTS. It's the same displacement engine for all three variants (unlike the 991.1s) but with bigger turbos and more boost. Costs almost nothing for Porsche.

Full disclosure....I'm biased. I have a C4 on order.

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've had my 991.2 C4S PDK/SC for a year now.
I put Porsche 19" wheels with ContiWinterContact on it for the winter. Dealer stores the wheel/tires. Simple.
Daily driver.
Tracked both summer x7 and Snowcross at Road America x2.
As you surmised, if you don't track, the C4 has MORE than enough power for the road.
The C4S is as fast as many race cars in a straight line, just awesome from launch control but you do require PDK/SC.
But both the C4 and C4S comes standard with PASM, so ride with 19 or 20 is the same and NOISY with both.
I don't use 'comfort' tire settings so maybe a little better with 'comfort'?
But here is the good part, the included tech is just great. The Porsche NAV is simply the best out there. Apple CarPlay is included and there are four monitoring and security packages you can get. simply awesome to monitor your Porsche from your iPhone and be able to know and track its location as well as have Security to help Law enforcement recover as well as prevent the car from starting again. You can set speed and GEO fences.
Be sure to get LCA and Porsche Active Cruise, multifunction heated steering wheel.
With the multifunction controls and two voice systems, (Porsche and Siri) my hands rarely leave the steering wheel.
Just a brilliant daily driver in all weather.
Lastly for snow and ice I have the rear wiper.-Richard

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. As long as I am offered a reasonable trade in value for my 13 BS and a reasonable discount (5-6%) on the C4, I will switch. I will be getting a manual so no active cruise.
I am not driving the Boxster enough to keep it and store it. Need my SUV so can't have 3 cars for myself. I should have bought a 991 C4 in the first place in 2013.

Reactions: Johnrobbfl

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Thanks guys. As long as I am offered a reasonable trade in value for my 13 BS and a reasonable discount (5-6%) on the C4, I will switch. I will be getting a manual so no active cruise.
I am not driving the Boxster enough to keep it and store it. Need my SUV so can't have 3 cars for myself. I should have bought a 991 C4 in the first place in 2013.
I suggest letting everyone here know what the dealer offers you on a trade-in. One of the side benefits of being a frequent contributor on a forum such as this is that people have a sense they know you and your car. If I were in the market for a '13 Boxster, your low-mileage, well cared for example with a 6-speed would be very attractive. If the dealer low-balls you on trade-in, I think you could quite easily sell to a member for something between trade-in and Porsche dealer retail price.

-

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is very praiseworthy. Most car salespeople make my skin crawl; a completely straight one seems hard to find.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I will keep people posted. Some of the usual sources I have looked at suggest somewhere between 40-43k for a 70k car. I think for me it will have to be a minimum 40k and a 6% discount on the new 911. That seems reasonable for a car maintained by them and they also installed the sport exhaust and some other miscellaneous stuff for which they charged a pretty penny.
I will have to think about selling it myself which unfortunately will not motivate the dealer to try very hard for a C4 allocation. I'll see. I am an impatient kind of guy so if it takes too long, I will lose interest. Getting an allocation seems like the hard part.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I will keep people posted. Some of the usual sources I have looked at suggest somewhere between 40-43k for a 70k car. I think for me it will have to be a minimum 40k and a 6% discount on the new 911. That seems reasonable for a car maintained by them and they also installed the sport exhaust and some other miscellaneous stuff for which they charged a pretty penny.
I will have to think about selling it myself which unfortunately will not motivate the dealer to try very hard for a C4 allocation. I'll see. I am an impatient kind of guy so if it takes too long, I will lose interest. Getting an allocation seems like the hard part.
I am not sure why you think this will negatively affect the dealers wish to find you an allocation, IMHO it should have the opposite effect, now they don't have to worry about moving your car at all, a straight up sale for them is usually preferred...

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They want my car. It is a low mileage BS with a stick with some goodies like the SE, PP etc. Not that easy to find locally where I live. And they will make money on the trade and the new car. If I was trading another brand, that is different.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I suggest letting everyone here know what the dealer offers you on a trade-in. One of the side benefits of being a frequent contributor on a forum such as this is that people have a sense they know you and your car. If I were in the market for a '13 Boxster, your low-mileage, well cared for example with a 6-speed would be very attractive. If the dealer low-balls you on trade-in, I think you could quite easily sell to a member for something between trade-in and Porsche dealer retail price.

-
I paid a visit to my dealer. They actually made a reasonable offer for my car of 44k if I gave them the car now. Of course, I can't because they don't have a C4 allocation for me otherwise I would have given them the keys. In the fall, the car will depreciate by about 2-2.5k but having the summer driving season is well worth it to me after just taking my car out of storage. My car is also in almost perfect condition with 18.2k miles and new tires.

They had a fully loaded night blue C4S which had the two tone chalk interior with the 18-way seats. Beautiful interior but obviously not the car for me. But I can see myself going with this combination.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.