Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought the car in another state and recently we finally drove it back to California. Despite it is CPOed, I still don't really trust what sales told my wife. After some inspection, so far the biggest problem is about the wheels and tires.

The wheel is 19" instead of 18" on the spec sheet. The sales stated that the PO has 2 set of wheels and this is for the summer. Nice summer tires are mounted, but slightly smaller than factory spec (xxx/35 instead of xxx/40), the tire width is in spec.

I decide to eat this. Probably mount a new set of tires in correct spec after a while. However I could not identify the "flavor" of the wheels, as this is not the common ones I usually see. Could someone help me identify what exactly these wheels are?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
these are 987 wheels. tyres probably match 987 specs in 19s which run 35 series profile rather than 981 profile which is a little thicker.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The wheel is the optional 19” Carrera Classic wheel offered for the 987 cars as eyeofthetiger mentioned. Fronts are 8” wide, and rears should be 9.5”. They should have a 987 or 997 part number cast on the back of one of the spokes as well as “BBS” and “Germany” on other spokes. If it doesn’t have that information, then they are replicas.
The tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE-xxx which are nice summer tires and can be good track tires depending on the specific model. It looks like the date code is 5011, so they were manufactured the 50th week of 2011. A bit old, but depending on your intended use and if there are no signs of dry rot, and if they have good tread, they might still have life left in them. Probably will be a bit too hard and dried out for track use, but for easy daily commuting they should be fine. Depending on how they have been stored, they might have a flat spot or be a bit out of balance, so you might have some steering wheel vibration on the highway at a certain speed.
Also it looks like the wheels have the TPMS sensors installed that came from the factory. Assuming they are also from 2011, then the batteries in the sensors might be dead, so if you want TPMS to work with your car, you might need to replace the sensors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much folks! I think the dealer using an old wheel is a bit strange, but I guess it is still complaint to CPO requirement. As for the tires, the actual mounted tires are different (to my surprise) than what is shown in the pic (the pic is also supplied by the dealer). The tires are RE050A, the front manufacture time is 3018, the rear is 4617. The sizes are still 987 sizes. I really don't know what dealer is thinking, why changing tires but not to spec?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think part of the CPO requirement is that the tires have to be less than 6 years old, so that makes sense why they are fairly new. For the car to be CPO’ed, the tires also need to be a matching set that is “N” rated and have a minimum remaining tread depth.
However, I think they must also be the same size as what is specified for the car (printed on door sill sticker and in owner’s manual). Since the car is CPO’ed, you might be able to bring it to your local Porsche dealer and explain the tire size is incorrect (35 aspect ratio instead of the required 40) and should be replaced with the correct size under the CPO warranty. It is around a 1/2” difference in sidewall height, and 1” in rolling diameter, so not insignificant. It is probably enough to throw off the speedometer and maybe even cause issues with the stability control system. I would not accept that difference.
It sounds like your car is a 981 so 2013-2016. These Carrera Classic wheels were available for 987 cars, 2005-2012. The good news is the 19” fronts are identical 8” width and 57mm offset for both 987 and 981. The 19” rears are the same 9.5” width and offset is 46mm for 987 and 45mm for 981. The 1mm difference means the 987 wheel will sit slightly further inboard than the 981 wheel, but it probably won’t cause any issues for you.
I think these are the best looking 19” wheels available from the factory for these cars, and they look to be in good condition from the photo, so would be worth keeping on the car if the dealer can fit the right size tires. It is CPO so should not be at any cost to you.
Did you get the PO’s second set of wheels with the car too? Are they the correct specs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did not get the second set, I believe those wheels are what originally came with the car, 18". But PO fit snow tires on it. Since I'm not physicaly present when my wife bought the car, I did not see the actual spec.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
As you did not specify the generation of the car (i.e., 987), I am not able to provide you with a definitive response. However, eyeofthetiger is correct in that on the 987, the correct aspect ratio for 19" wheels is 35. The correct aspect ratio for 18" wheels is 40.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is a 2014 Boxster, 981 car. This was originally posted in the 981 Chat forum. I realized this was been moved to tires/wheels forum. Sorry for losing this context.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Please do a web search on tire aspect ratio. The outside diameter of a tire with a 40 aspect ratio on a 18" rim is probably the same as a 35 aspect ratio on a 19" rim.

Also, stop dumping on your wife and salesperson. The prior owner bought the optional 19" wheels for good weather, and put winter tires on the less desirable 18" rims. I am sure there are plenty of members here that will gladly swap their 18s for your 19s. Your wife did well. Thank her for the better wheels.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Please do a web search on tire aspect ratio. The outside diameter of a tire with a 40 aspect ratio on a 18" rim is probably the same as a 35 aspect ratio on a 19" rim.

Also, stop dumping on your wife and salesperson. The prior owner bought the optional 19" wheels for good weather, and put winter tires on the less desirable 18" rims. I am sure there are plenty of members here that will gladly swap their 18s for your 19s. Your wife did well. Thank her for the better wheels.
:unsure:
TomR, did you read any of the above posts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think part of the CPO requirement is that the tires have to be less than 6 years old, so that makes sense why they are fairly new. For the car to be CPO’ed, the tires also need to be a matching set that is “N” rated and have a minimum remaining tread depth.
However, I think they must also be the same size as what is specified for the car (printed on door sill sticker and in owner’s manual). Since the car is CPO’ed, you might be able to bring it to your local Porsche dealer and explain the tire size is incorrect (35 aspect ratio instead of the required 40) and should be replaced with the correct size under the CPO warranty. It is around a 1/2” difference in sidewall height, and 1” in rolling diameter, so not insignificant. It is probably enough to throw off the speedometer and maybe even cause issues with the stability control system. I would not accept that difference.
It sounds like your car is a 981 so 2013-2016. These Carrera Classic wheels were available for 987 cars, 2005-2012. The good news is the 19” fronts are identical 8” width and 57mm offset for both 987 and 981. The 19” rears are the same 9.5” width and offset is 46mm for 987 and 45mm for 981. The 1mm difference means the 987 wheel will sit slightly further inboard than the 981 wheel, but it probably won’t cause any issues for you.
I think these are the best looking 19” wheels available from the factory for these cars, and they look to be in good condition from the photo, so would be worth keeping on the car if the dealer can fit the right size tires. It is CPO so should not be at any cost to you.
Did you get the PO’s second set of wheels with the car too? Are they the correct specs?
Hi delman I contacted my local dealer and they are not interested in helping me. They said the tires are not covered by CPO and I need to go after the selling dealer. I will live with it for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts