Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I?m at the dealership and about to purchase a 718BS. The warranty started on 12/16 so a year has gone by. Looking to negotiate a bit more but how much do you think that is with. The car has been sitting a year basically. Has less than 200 miles.

Rippey

·
Registered
148 Posts
So I?m at the dealership and about to purchase a 718BS. The warranty started on 12/16 so a year has gone by. Looking to negotiate a bit more but how much do you think that is with. The car has been sitting a year basically. Has less than 200 miles.

Rippey
You have one of two choices:
1). Have the dealership add a year of Extended Warranty at no cost to you, or
2). Insist on a discount equal to what a year's worth of extended warranty would cost PLUS the price of your first scheduled maintenance visit (roughly $500, I believe), which is included for all 2018 Porsche models but NOT included for 2017 models.

Though: I'm a little confused. The warranty period shouldn't start until the car is sold, no matter the amount of miles on it. Was this car pre-sold to someone else, then turned back in? If so, the dealership cannot pass the car off as new.

I would be VERY wary, OP. Something doesn't add up here.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the car CPO so it now looks I?m official???

Rippey

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Dealer punched the warranty last year. Not sure of the NJ laws but to me it is a used car. I would only buy on that basis with appropriate discount from msrp. Will they CPO it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meaning CPO at no additional cost. It sounded fishy so I told them point blank, CPO or I?m out and with a check in my hand they just CPOed it. Getting all paperwork now.

718 Boxster S, PDK, LCA, ACC w/ PAS, Sport Chrono, 19? wheels, Premium Package Plus, Bose.

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
You have one of two choices:
1). Have the dealership add a year of Extended Warranty at no cost to you, or
2). Insist on a discount equal to what a year's worth of extended warranty would cost PLUS the price of your first scheduled maintenance visit (roughly $500, I believe), which is included for all 2018 Porsche models but NOT included for 2017 models.

Though: I'm a little confused. The warranty period shouldn't start until the car is sold, no matter the amount of miles on it. Was this car pre-sold to someone else, then turned back in? If so, the dealership cannot pass the car off as new.

I would be VERY wary, OP. Something doesn't add up here.
The car is a demo and it's not unusual for a demo to be "punched" when the dealer takes delivery. The OP has two options: 1. demand a significant discount on a year old car or 2. get a CPO certification which adds two extra years to the original warranty. If it were me I'd push hard for option 2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I got the car CPOed. They didn?t put up much of a fight. Msrp was $89, got it for $77

Rippey

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally, I have a P-car

After lurking for over a year and asking so many questions, I finally got my car! Excited that I have LED lights and active cruise control with pedestrian warning. Need that here in NJ. Clear Bra as well. Overall really happy.

Can?t wait to join some folks on some great rides. I?ll take some pics tomorrow. Wifey doesn?t know I have it yet. She is going to be shocked!

Rippey

Attachments

Reactions: aeronca65tl

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where are you in NJ? I’m up north in West Orange. Only have seen one Red 718 cayman up here. Looking forward to some great NJ rides..

Rippey

·
Registered
897 Posts
Congrats Rippey - I’m up in Sussex County.

Enjoy your car in good health.

Read some of my posts in the “ What did you do to your 981 today “. I list a lot of my road trips there.

Reactions: mrrippey

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Congrats, you got a really good deal!

Reactions: mrrippey

·
Registered
1,853 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Re: finally, I have a P-car

I recently purchased a BMW with 400 miles from a BMW dealership. It was used as a loaner. The warranty started the day they put it in service. So I got shorted about 8 months of warranty. I received a significant discount for the "used" status. And I was able to purchase the new car extended warranty.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: finally, I have a P-car

The better question is, is it warm enough at night to sleep in it?
Lol, lucky the garage is inside. She woke up early and took it to work. She loves it. I got stuck with kids and Countryman JCW...

Rippey

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats Rippey - I’m up in Sussex County.

Enjoy your car in good health.

Read some of my posts in the “ What did you do to your 981 today “. I list a lot of my road trips there.
That makes three of us in northern NJ. I'm in Morris County but we have a summer place in Cranberry Lake (Sussex County).

Great roads in Sussex County and all the Skylands area of NJ! Last weekend was actually the MG Drivers Club ( M.G. Drivers Club is a national MG club ) annual Cecil Kimber Run in Sussex County (I was away and missed it). It's a nice cruise through many of those roads.

I know it's too late for this year but here's the flyer for it. You'll know many of the roads : http://www.mgdriversclub.com/images/CK Run Flier 2017.pdf

We've occasionally gone up to the Chatterbox with the Super 7 or MGB. They get a decent turnout there with lots of nice people, but obviously it's more of a hot rod crowd.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not to hijack Rippey’s thread but what car did you order.

I’m in Lafayette - great roads up this way. Sometimes I just wander around aimlessly on all the county roads up here.

I’ve been noticing more and more Cayman / Boxster owners posting here on Planet 9 - maybe a meet up at the Chatter Box or Elias Cole Restaurant over on 23 in Wantsge when we get decent weather.

BTW - love your avatar- lifting a wheel on an MG - great stuff.

That makes three of us in northern NJ. I'm in Morris County but we have a summer place in Cranberry Lake (Sussex County).

Great roads in Sussex County and all the Skylands area of NJ! Last weekend was actually the MG Drivers Club ( M.G. Drivers Club is a national MG club ) annual Cecil Kimber Run in Sussex County (I was away and missed it). It's a nice cruise through many of those roads.

I know it's too late for this year but here's the flyer for it. You'll know many of the roads : http://www.mgdriversclub.com/images/CK Run Flier 2017.pdf

We've occasionally gone up to the Chatterbox with the Super 7 or MGB. They get a decent turnout there with lots of nice people, but obviously it's more of a hot rod crowd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.