Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Porsche was a 1973 914 2.0, which I sold a couple years ago. Bought a 2014 Boxster base last year, sold it then bought a 2014 991 Carrera base earlier this year. The new 911 was a little too big for me, so I sold that a couple of months ago and now a very happy owner of a 2016 Cayman GTS. IMHO the Boxsters/Caymans are way more fun to drive (sorry 911 owners). I never considered the new 718s.

Besides the usual GTS standard equipment, my GTS has both heated & ventilated seats, manual tranny, 18-way seats, navigational, GTS exterior package, and a Burmester sound system. PASM preferred for comfort.

Currently having it color corrected, replacing the old partial clear bra with a full front bra, then a Cquartz Finest paint protection applied.

I love this car and it will probably be my last Porsche!

·
Registered
569 Posts
First Porsche was a 1973 914 2.0, which I sold a couple years ago. Bought a 2014 Boxster base last year, sold it then bought a 2014 991Carrera base earlier this year. The new 911 was a little too big for me, so I sold that a couple of months ago and now a very happy owner of a 2016 Cayman GTS. IMHO the Boxsters/Caymans are way more fun to drive (sorry 911 owners). I never considered the new 718s.

Besides the usual GTS standard equipment, my GTS has both heated & ventilated seats, manual tranny, 18-way seats, navigational, GTS exterior package, and a Burmester sound system. PASM preferred for comfort.

Currently having it color corrected, replacing the old partial clear bra with a full front bra, then a Cquartz Finest paint protection applied.

I love this car and it will probably be my last Porsche!
Loved my CGTS! You will too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
The Cayman GTS is a great, great car. I've been driving my 2015 since April 2015 and love it. It has plenty of power, GREAT sound (speaking of exhaust here, though I'd bet your Burmester system ain't bad either!), and handles better than I can ever drive it.

Enjoy...
Says you are in Calif.. I'm also in CA, often in the bay area, but live in the foothills.. welcome to the CA swamp!!
D

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have never figured out how an 18-way seat works. My CS has 14-way but I can think of only a few: Forward/back. Up/down. Tilt seat forward/backward. Tilt seatback forward/backward. Does that count as 4-way or 8-way?

What am I not using of my 14-way and what else does 18-way get you?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I agree with someone who said that it was an event every time he drove his CGTS. This is truly the best car I've ever driven and owned.

The Burmester definitely sounds better than the Bose, but not by much, so I'm not sure it would be worth that extra cost. I'm still glad I have it on my car.

The 18 way seats are nice but I would have been happy with 14 way seats. Too many buttons and settings to think about. Happy I have the memory package or I would go nuts trying to figure out my last settings.

Is it just me, but does it appear that used 718s are depreciating faster than the 981 GTSs?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I have never figured out how an 18-way seat works. My CS has 14-way but I can think of only a few: Forward/back. Up/down. Tilt seat forward/backward. Tilt seatback forward/backward. Does that count as 4-way or 8-way?

The 18-way has side bolsters that move in and out, front cushion section moves forward and backward, lumbar moves up/down and harder/softer... not sure which of these are features that the 14-way don't have.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 18-way has side bolsters that move in and out, front cushion section moves forward and backward, lumbar moves up/down and harder/softer... not sure which of these are features that the 14-way don't have.
I have 14-way seats. I can adjust thigh support, so I think what 18-way gives you are shoulder bolster adjustments.

I can't seem to figure out what each lumbar adjustment does. Near as I can tell, Up and Down control the angle of the lumbar support piece, and Forward and Back control how far it protrudes from the seat.

I think of the lumbar support as a sort of flat surface that can be tilted forward or backward and moved in and out of the seat. (I don't really notice it moving vertically up or down with any of the adjustments)

Anyone know for sure?

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Good choice. Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just to follow up on the lumbar - haven't been able to find a diagram for the 981 seat internals, but have come across diagrams for other models.

The lumbar support appears to be a 2-chamber air bladder. An upper bladder and a lower bladder.

So it may be that pressing Up inflates the upper bladder while letting air out of the lower bladder, and pressing Down does the reverse. Pressing the forward and backward Arrows probably increases or decreases the total volume of both respectively.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
First of all, the 18-way seats are way nicer (in every way) IMO, but the bolsters are more prominent. As far as the adjustments, the only difference is they add upper and lower bolster adjustment (in and out), hence 4 'ways' more. Both have the thigh power extension. And yes, the lumbar adjustment is odd. It feels to me there's just one bladder, that can supposedly move up and down, but the controls are not logical. Thankfully, most of the time I'm happy with zero lumbar support (including on this car), so have both at the minimum. I think the arrows pointing back and down achieve that, which makes little sense on the latter. Haven't played with them to try to figure out exactly what goes on, but maybe somebody else can:).

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Seats? You got the best option: the 6 speed manual. Congratulations!

Reactions: trickybit

·
Registered
229 Posts
congrats on a great car....pdk is also awesome especially for us older guys :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Congrats and enjoy!! :cheers:

Amazing machine... Never ceases to bring a smile to my face.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to the 981 GTS crowd. I bought my GTS over this past Memorial Day Weekend, drove it cross-country, took it up to NorCal and back once, and so far, 7k+ miles of absolutely pure enjoyment. I've never had a car where I drove that many miles, in such a short period of time. Best vehicle purchase I've ever made :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the 981 GTS crowd. I bought my GTS over this past Memorial Day Weekend, drove it cross-country, took it up to NorCal and back once, and so far, 7k+ miles of absolutely pure enjoyment. I've never had a car where I drove that many miles, in such a short period of time. Best vehicle purchase I've ever made
I bought mine the Friday before the great American eclipse. I also plan to drive this car long distances which is why I had the full bra added along with the ceramic paint protection. I've had many cars in my life, but this one is hard to beat.

Thanks again everyone! I really feel like I'm in an elite class now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.