Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a very nice 2006 Cayman S in Rockport Texas with 38K miles, 6-speed manual, my first Porsche. Pampered but not quite a garage queen. A nice machine that - as you can imagine - is a blast to drive.
It's a pretty basic model finished in Seal Gray with black leather interior, with the sport steering wheel, instruments in guards red, Michelin PS2 18" tires with three in good condition and the right rear being the most worn. After market Pioneer stereo has nav, satellite radio, CD player, sub woofer in the back trunk and a huge amp in the front.
A local indie gave it a great PPI and suggested the battery be replaced (was installed in 06/2009), otherwise its pretty clean and well-cared for. Has a passenger seat "air bag" fault that appears to be the seat belt sensor as the indie could not reset it.
There is only one key and once my wife heals from a broken foot, she and I will both be lead-footing all over south Texas :)
We need another key programmed as the indie could not do it.
Questions:
1. I am looking for a recommendation on a dealer in Corpus Christi, south Houston, Austin or San Antonio that can program a key and fix the air bag fault.
2. Should I go ahead and order the key/fob from Sunset and take it to the dealer to have it programmed?
I appreciate any recommendations,
OC Garza
Victoria Texas

·
Registered
574 Posts
The airbag fault may be fixed by simply moving the seatback off the firewall. That is a quirk of the 06. If that that doesn't work you'll need to try a Durametric or PIWIS. Welcome to the swamp!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boiler Inspector. I have been trolling on this great forum while researching the CaymanS and saw the quirk about the seatback on a few threads. We tried moving the seat around and restarting the car but no luck.
I've put a few hundred miles on the car over the week I have owned it and since there is no dealership in Victoria and the car is well out of warranty, will be taking the car back to the indie for a 40,000 mile checkup and change of fluids.
OC

·
Registered
186 Posts
I live in Houston but I travel to Victoria, CC, and Kingsville quite a bit using my 08 Cayman S. I have family all over South Texas. So far the only dealer I've used is Momentum Porsche on Hwy59 south, they've been pretty good to me. My car is still a CPO so I will probably find an indy once that is up. Since I travel down there a few times a year and there are no dealers anywhere close I mounted a spare tire kit in my front trunk. I bought an old one from a 986 boxster on ebay and fitted some metal straps inside the boot to secure the tire. So far I haven't needed it (knock on wood).

I haven't used any of these but there are a few indy mechanics here. There's not much mechanical stuff I won't attempt doing myself so i would only use another shop for programming and such. Oil changes are pretty easy. If you don't like to do that stuff yourself i would just find a local mechanic, supply your own oil and filter, and just monitor them when they perform the oil change. Also, it's a lot cheaper this route. Dealer oil changes can be around $250.

Euromotorwerks
Koby Motors
European Auto Techniks.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I don't mind doing simple things like oil changes and fluids but this 06 CS has right at 38,000 miles so I thought I would ask the indy here in Victoria to do the 40,000 maintenance. He only charged me $90 for a PPI and he has a good reputation from the Boxster owners in town. (Besides I haven't bought any ramps yet to make the oil changes a lot easier :) But the indy can't program keys and couldn't reprogram the passenger airbag fault so it appears it is a seatbelt sensor.
Get this, I detailed the car from the clay bar to Dodo Supernatural Wax and let it dry and took the car for a spin on SAturday. Cruised about 40 miles around the Loop 463 and to Mission Valley outside Victoria. I pulled into a store for a drink and a truck pulls in behind me. As I get out the owner of the truck says mine is only the second Cayman in Victoria, after his :cheers: We had a conversation and he said that he bought his (2008 CS) from Roger Beasley in Austin but would never deal with their service department again. He said he uses Momentum in Houston because of location and they treat him pretty well.
I too am looking at the EBay spare as I am old school and when I head to the Hill Country there are no dealers anywhere near Burnet or Llano. Thanks for the recommendation on Momentum.
OC

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Followup: I went to Momentum Porsche in Houston.
1. They programmed the key. But they said the blank was the wrong model so I bought a blank from them only to discover the part number was exactly the same on both blanks. Hmmm.
2. On the passenger airbag fault: they said one of the sensors on the passenger seat was out and they wanted $4,000 to replace the air bag system. They said none of the air bags would fire as long as the fault was not corrected.
3. I did get a "complimentary" 60-point inspection :hilarious: from Momentum.
4. I called German Autohaus in Houston and he said he would like to put the car on the scanner to see if the sensor was indeed the problem. He said if they have to remove the seat and replace the lower assembly and sensor, probably around $1,500.

I am still considering my options but wanted to update the group.
OC Garza
Victoria, Texas

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED
I wanted to update the group and here is how I solved the problem with the passenger air bag (AWS) fault light.
I bought a Durametric Pro and electronically disabled the AWS since I would never put a child safety seat in the Cayman the way I drive :)
I also reset my "service reminder" message since I did my own oil change.
Saved a lot of money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts