Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am going to buy my first Porsche but i have a dilemma.

I think about getting a new 08y Cayman S Sport limited edition in GT3 RS color with Tiptronic S.
I really like this car, but on the other hand I can spend quite the same money for low milage 987.2 CS with PDK.
Will I feel a great difference between 987.1 and 987.2?

Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between Tiptronic and PDK. They are not even close. If you want or need an automatic transmission, there is no comparison between the two. The PDK is way, way better. If I wanted or needed an automatic transmission, I wouldn't even consider the Tiptronic car.

You asked if you would feel a great difference between the two generations. There is a slight difference between the two generations, but there is a huge difference is between the two transmissions.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Go with the new Gen II Cayman and PDK if you can! The Tiptronic is a nice automatic transmission but doesn't compare to the PDK. The Gen II engines are the new A91 without an IMS bearing and are much more reliable! PDK was offered on the Cayman starting in 2009 the same year as the Gen II started. Porsche plans to be shipping 70% PDKs across all car lines by 2011 so they are committed to this new technology (actually it was around for racing in the late '80s).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want automatic cause i need a daily driving car.
Frankly speaking for me Gen I looks better, but if you say that PDK is so amazing transmission maybe GEN II is a better deal.
Bellow are pics of CS Sport Gen I and CS Gen II i was offered.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have to agree - get the green one. More power, much better trans. Either would be nice, though...

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Wait for a used gen 2 w/PDK that you like. You will be saying I wish I would have gotten another color. That is unless you like the green. If you like the orange, I dought you really like the green.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I agree the Gen2 with PDK is the better choice. If the Green is not the preferred color. then wait for the color you want and you be happy with the car and the color.

·
Registered
77 Posts
PDK is way better than Tiptronic. Orange is way cooler than green. Gen I is a bit prettier than Gen II but ymmv :) What's with the Turbo wheels on both though? (I personally don't care much about them, but again that's a pretty subjective thing). If you do like the orange color (which I also do), the Gen II can be had with what Porsche calls Nordic Gold Metallic I think which was first launched on the Cayenne GTS and it is "orangy" if you know what I mean. Purrrrrteeeee!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PDK is way better than Tiptronic. Orange is way cooler than green. Gen I is a bit prettier than Gen II but ymmv :) What's with the Turbo wheels on both though? (I personally don't care much about them, but again that's a pretty subjective thing). If you do like the orange color (which I also do), the Gen II can be had with what Porsche calls Nordic Gold Metallic I think which was first launched on the Cayenne GTS and it is "orangy" if you know what I mean. Purrrrrteeeee!
I dont care about turbo wheels too, also i dont understand why they are installed on Sport edition instead of black painted sport wheels.
Anyway, PDK is a must have thing:thanks:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just to explain a bit more about why people are unanimously (and correctly) saying that PDK is so much better than Tiptronic...

Triptronic is a traditional automatic transmission. That means there is a fluidic coupling between what your engine is doing and what the drive shaft to your wheels is doing. When you punch the throttle, the engine has to "spin up" a bit to drag the fluidic coupling along, to make the wheels turn. Also, gear changes (no matter if the car is doing them for you, or you're using the steering wheel buttons) happen, without going into too much detail, in a fluidic sort of way.

Overall this means that your control over the power applied to the wheels is "squishy" and lags your input, and gear changes cannot happen very quickly.

PDK is completely different. Rather than a fluidic link, the coupling is through a true, hard connection via a clutch, just like in a manual transmission. The difference form a manual transmission however is that rather than having a single clutch plate (the two surfaces that are pressed together to join the engine to the drive shaft) that you have to control with the third pedal, there are 2 clutch plates that the car's computer can quickly go back and forth between.

The result is twofold. First, the power to the wheels is very precisely controlled by the accelerator pedal, just as in a manual transmission car. Second, gear shifts are nearly instantaneous -- *much* faster than can be accomplished in a traditional automatic, and in fact faster than almost any human can push the third pedal, change the gear, and release the pedal again.

Fundamentally, PDK gives all of the benefits of Tiptronic while also giving better responsiveness and control than Tiptronic and quickness of shifting that's better than either Tiptronic or a manual. The only reason to buy a manual is to either save money or because the driver prefers the fun of shifting themselves (which is why I chose a 6-speed). Tiptronic was always a bit of a compromise for the sake of automatic shifting -- PDK is the "ultimate" transmission available.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Dumb question for the crowd: did they make S Sports in Tip? I thought they all came in manual. I ask because I saw a few cars with the side graphics when I was looking and several were not S Sports.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dumb question for the crowd: did they make S Sports in Tip? I thought they all came in manual. I ask because I saw a few cars with the side graphics when I was looking and several were not S Sports.
Tiptronic was offered, but likely very few bought it that way -- it would be hard to find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Apologies for bringing back an old thread, but I'm pondering this same satuation but have an additional question --

Knowing what you know now about all the DFI issues that have sprung up, would you all have answered the OPs question the same way (the answers were pretty much all pushing the new model that has DFI)?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.