Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning for my upcoming Leipzig delivery of my 2015 Cayman S. I'll be doing a short break-in drive of about 600 miles while heading over to the Nordschleife for one or two laps. The next day, I've booked a track day of four 20-minute sessions at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium. I'd rather have had a longer break-in but timing was difficult for other date options.

My dealer says the 19" Cayman S wheels will come with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires (although with German delivery is this correct?) I'm needing some advice on how to handle the tire pressures for both of the track days.

For the Nordschleife, should I bleed a couple psi off of the posted normal street pressures, take the first few turns easy and shoot for a hot target of about 36 psi 1-2KM into the run? Or just run the posted 32/34 psi pressures and enjoy the laps?

For Spa, I've read a suggestion to take one or two warm up laps, then pit, jump out and bleed down to 37 psi (although I think this post was for different tires). Once you get that pressure, accept the drop that occurs between sessions, and take it easy while tire temps build up again in subsequent sessions. What is the hot target temp for the OEM tires?

While this thread is mainly about tire pressures, I'd appreciate any other feedback on setup.

Thanks and will look forward to many more track days to come once it arrives home!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did 4 laps of Nordschleife with 600 km on our 2.7 Boxster we picked up in Zuffenhausen. I have 18" Dunlops and just left the factory air pressure as is. Now mind you, I have very little track experience, and was not out to set any records. In fact, I did not even time myself, figured that way I would not be embarrassed. It would take a long time to get good there, so I would just say enjoy the experience. You will.

Sounds like Spa will be a bit more serious. I just did my first track day and was on the OEM Dunlops. Started at 37 psi and had to bleed down as the day went on.

Looking at the tires afterward, either my pressure was too high or I was not pushing hard enough. I'm pretty sure the latter is correct.

I was looking for a Leipzig delivery also, but there were just not any available dates. Maybe next time?

·
Registered
848 Posts
F1's need 32/34?

Ours came with 19" PZero's and specify 29/30. I had assumed that would be the same for all the 19" tires.

For full on track use (Laguna Seca) I found letting a couple of PSI out was about right. The temperatures were telling me to take more out, but I was hesitant to lower it too much, and the wear seemed to suggest that was about right. Unless you're getting very frisky at the Nurburgring, which I wouldn't recommend, normal street pressures should be fine.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
You do realize that Spa does a lead follow scenario with requirements like helmet, etc. for your day. Sure hope you read everything before you booked; which includes availability of rental helmets unless you have access to one or plan to buy one while over there.

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Sounds like an awesome plan! What month are you going to be there? Note that until end of April they may give you winter tires.

As to temp on the track:

The Nordschleife is basically a street course. I would leave it at the factory specs. I was running my 20in tires today at a DE at 36 cold in the rear and observed them going up to 42. I could have bled 1 to 2 psi but it would not have made much change to the handling overall I feel (air temp was cool so tires cooled down between the runs). In Spa it depends on how the track day is organized. Remember that you have a compressor in the front of your car, so if you feel like you want to play around with it at the track, it is easy to do.

Planning for my upcoming Leipzig delivery of my 2015 Cayman S. I'll be doing a short break-in drive of about 600 miles while heading over to the Nordschleife for one or two laps. The next day, I've booked a track day of four 20-minute sessions at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium. I'd rather have had a longer break-in but timing was difficult for other date options.

My dealer says the 19" Cayman S wheels will come with Goodyear Eagle F1 tires (although with German delivery is this correct?) I'm needing some advice on how to handle the tire pressures for both of the track days.

For the Nordschleife, should I bleed a couple psi off of the posted normal street pressures, take the first few turns easy and shoot for a hot target of about 36 psi 1-2KM into the run? Or just run the posted 32/34 psi pressures and enjoy the laps?

For Spa, I've read a suggestion to take one or two warm up laps, then pit, jump out and bleed down to 37 psi (although I think this post was for different tires). Once you get that pressure, accept the drop that occurs between sessions, and take it easy while tire temps build up again in subsequent sessions. What is the hot target temp for the OEM tires?

While this thread is mainly about tire pressures, I'd appreciate any other feedback on setup.

Thanks and will look forward to many more track days to come once it arrives home!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts