Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for 17 inch wheels on a base cayman I am wondering what the recommended tire widths are, is 205 front and 235 rear, or a square set up. As the new cayman will be my DD I have to outfit for winter use so I want to be prepared for November. Any advice is appreciated.

Grant

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Just today I switched over to 18" Porsche wheels with PS2s from 17" Conti 810s and wheels/TPMSes from TireRack in the sizes you mentioned. Its been a cold spring even in southern New England. These - and probably the other N-spec cold weather tires - aren't really snow tires in the sense that Blizzaks or others are. For real snow conditions (ie, you beat the plows out) you may want to consider real snow tires - with genuine deep lugs - even though they aren't N-spec.
The 17" set up has really decent performance and provides a comfortable ride also. The PS2s have noticeably sharper handling but have absolutely no grip in cold and as little as a couple inches of snow. In an early storm, I got stuck in my driveway in 3-4" of wet snow with the PS2s. The Conti 810s handle that no problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.