Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slow leak in the right rear tire and I brought it in to the local tire guy. He wouldn't pull the nail and repair the tire since he said the tire's too close to the wear bars. The front Conti's have 5mm of tread and 3.5 mm above the wear bars.

I'm faced with buying 4 Michelin PS4 at Costco for $1,303.32 out the door with their sale, or two rear Conti's from TireRack for $583 + $64 = $647 w/ mounting at a decent installer (not WheelWorks).

I drive sporty but not on the track, and the reality is much of my driving is in the City and on freeways (after Covid). I think the Conti's have at least another 6,000 miles on them. I put all four on in June 2017 at 22,000 miles and I'm at 44,000 miles, and my mileage on the Boxster will be less since it was my only car and now I got a s**tbox for going to the store.

So, I'm strongly tending to the two Contis on the rear. What am I missing if anything?

I just realized that I could just get two Michelin's for the rear at Costco for $732. That might be the best bet. I think it's okay to mix the Contis on the front and the Michelins on the back.

Thoughts?
TIA

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
If you're happy with them I'd be inclined to go with the new Conti's if 4 new tires aren't in the cards. I'd guess that 6/32's is a bit more than half of the new depth. If you drive much in the rain you might want to change the fronts before the wear bars.

I've always been hesitant to mix tire brands.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I had that same issue as you LarryB, a week ago with 2 year old RE71R's that I am using up during the mandatory shut down of PCA events. The tire had a bolt go through the face, so I took it out with a wrench and watched my tire go flat. Like your tire my rears or fronts were not at the wear bar, nor did any of them have any stress cracks in the shoulders or side walls. My local Les Schwab, which has shops in 9 western states said they could not fix my flat due to the wear on the tire. They do not carry RE71R's but could order a new set for me. I went home and checked with the boss about 4 new tires, which I really do not need right now as the manufacturing date is very important. I cleaned up my old tire as best I could and took it to my TireRack authorized installer, who fixed it without any issues. So, try again after cleaning up your tire. See who is the TireRack installer in your area and take it to them. Mine never mentioned the TireRack, just fixed the flat.

My RE71R's are really better than the much newer Michelin's PS4's for any performance type activity, hill climbs, canyon drives, just saying.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent suggestions both. Thinks for taking the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would just consider if I would keep being out of sync front to back. You could go Michelins then replace the the other 2 to Michelins. But I did buy the set from Costco with 100 off, the PS4s seem to be really excellent, although I have not run them yet in summer, but I expect no letdown there.... they also look great and beefy

·
Registered
81 Posts
I see you already bought your tires. I just bought a set of PS4s from a Mavis that just opened and I pretty much named my price ($1170 installed) because they really wanted some business.

It was suggested to me (on here) not to mix tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts