Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm the new owner of a Cayman R. It's my first Porsche and have already learnt a great deal from this site before deciding on a Cayman.

There aren't many here in South Africa so when one came up for sale I had to grab it immediately. I drove it from Johannesburg back home to Cape Town (approx 1,000 miles, 14 hours, mostly straight). So far I love the looks and sound but haven't had a chance to really see how it handles. Even the bucket seats were pretty comfy until the tenth hour.
It's pretty stiff but it feels like most of that is due to the 19" wheels/tyres and not the suspension.

Thanks to the articles on here I'm just about to give it a new filter and Mobil 1, wish me luck!
Here's a photo after a 4 hour polish/wax/removing dead flies
DSC_0310small.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Hi, I'm the new owner of a Cayman R. It's my first Porsche and have already learnt a great deal from this site before deciding on a Cayman.

There aren't many here in South Africa so when one came up for sale I had to grab it immediately. I drove it from Johannesburg back home to Cape Town (approx 1,000 miles, 14 hours, mostly straight). So far I love the looks and sound but haven't had a chance to really see how it handles. Even the bucket seats were pretty comfy until the tenth hour.
It's pretty stiff but it feels like most of that is due to the 19" wheels/tyres and not the suspension.
View attachment 53958
Congratulations. I still prefer the look of the 987.2 over the 981, and the aero kit on the R just completes the profile. I've never found the sport buckets to be uncomfortable, but I've never tried them for 14 hours! You'll really see what this car is capable of if/when you track it.

Enjoy it. Drive it like you stole it.

John

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hello and Welcome AndrewCR.

Fine looking CR you have there.

I drove a CR on a track last year and I was hooked so I made some financial adjustments, and within a few months (mostly due to finding the almost perfect car) a Cayman was in my garage. A CR was not in my budget but I'm lovin' my Guards Red Cayman.

I did a 1,700 mile fly-n-drive for mine and it was awesome doing such a great road trip 30 mins after buying it.

Eddie

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congratulations! Love the color with those wheels.

I have tracked my CR for 2 seasons - it is a great street / track car. As far as the stiff ride, it's really the suspension. I switch to 18" wheels for the track and I don't notice any real difference in the ride.

Hope you enjoy your CR as much as I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome. Not sure about taking her to the track just yet. I'll be honest and tell you it's my first RWD car so I'm getting used to the very different handling.
My last car was a Renault Megane RS265 Cup which just about equals the Cayman R at the Nurburgring, just in a very, very different way. That car is mind blowingly easy to drive very very quickly, it's handling is incredible.

I also raced and won superbike races up until a few years ago... But RWD is a bit SCARY right now!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats. Know how you feel, I have the CR now for 2 weeks.

I have 18 inch winter tires on, still firm ride and not a notable difference to the 19 inch which were on when I testdrove it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats! What happened to the rest of your stripe?
Good question, this is something that I questioned from the beginning. I suspected accident damage but I spoke to the previous owner and Porsche. He didn't like the look of the whole stripe so Porsche took it off before delivery. I'll be putting it back to stock soon enough.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Good question, this is something that I questioned from the beginning. I suspected accident damage but I spoke to the previous owner and Porsche. He didn't like the look of the whole stripe so Porsche took it off before delivery. I'll be putting it back to stock soon enough.
What I did. The stripes belong to the R! They are just super expensive at Porsche, but any other stripe from 3rd party vendors was not matching the original look.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Welcome to Planet-9 and a big congrats on the CR purchase. Your car looks awesome, the silver is beautiful. You'll love the car. The factory-fitted sports suspension is nimble, agile, and purposeful, and the only time you will perceive it as 'stiff' is on the bumpy sections of bad roads.

If you have a chance, we would love the see more pics of your new ride!

Regards, -rick.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats on your CR purchase. It looks great. I am just as amazed with mine today, as I was three years ago when I picked her up. I agree that the full stripe set completes the car. Very little done to mine other than adding a window tint, a silver hood crest, clear side markers and replacing the gold crests on the wheels.

Enjoy!!!

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I'm wondering if there is any interest among CR owners in a Cayman R graphic for the rear wing like the one in this picture. I showed this to Dan Porter at Magna Graphic and he says he can make it with the same Cayman R graphic and arc it a bit to flow with the slight curve of the wing. I'm trying to figure out the color of this one (it's a screen grab from a video) it almost looks a bit transparent. An off white or gray outline might look cool as well. Any interest in this out there or do you guys think it's too much?

Rich wing decal.png

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congratulations, Andrew. You will adapt quickly. A Cayman is very easy to drive fast and the R is very responsive.

I'm wondering if there is any interest among CR owners in a Cayman R graphic for the rear wing like the one in this picture. I showed this to Dan Porter at Magna Graphic and he says he can make it with the same Cayman R graphic and arc it a bit to flow with the slight curve of the wing. I'm trying to figure out the color of this one (it's a screen grab from a video) it almost looks a bit transparent. An off white or gray outline might look cool as well. Any interest in this out there or do you guys think it's too much?

Rich View attachment 54018
H'mm - matte on gloss or maybe that ghost print which I vaguely recall being iridescent in nature.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Congratulations, Andrew. You will adapt quickly. A Cayman is very easy to drive fast and the R is very responsive.

H'mm - matte on gloss or maybe that ghost print which I vaguely recall being iridescent in nature.
Dan suggested something like this GT3 graphic on carbon fiber look on the gloss black wing. I'm sending him a template of the R wing so he can design something to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
nice car Andrew!

I too was looking at the Megane 250/265 and have driven some before on the street. Nice cars and enjoyable - they get pretty good track times in our national F1 track in Sepang.
same price as a pre-loved porsche where I live though....

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Not sure about taking her to the track just yet. I'll be honest and tell you it's my first RWD car so I'm getting used to the very different handling.
My last car was a Renault Megane RS265 Cup which just about equals the Cayman R at the Nurburgring, just in a very, very different way. That car is mind blowingly easy to drive very very quickly, it's handling is incredible.

I also raced and won superbike races up until a few years ago... But RWD is a bit SCARY right now!
Amazing how many people have now grown up without ever driving rear wheel drive cars. Had to explain to my wife last night why her driving style always assumes heavy understeer and she can afford to be so complacent about breaking/lifting off in heavy cornering.

I understand when all the rice rocket kids bought their first rear wheel drive FR-S and BRZ's there was a slew of early adopter accidents that drove insurance rates up on them out here in California.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts