Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
The new GT4 motor will have as much in common with the new GT3 motor as the last GT4 motor had in common with the last GT3 motor, namely the block and a few accessories. There is no way the GT4 is getting the custom GT3 heads and valve train. The problem is that when the first GT4 came out the 911S was still naturally aspirated, now it has gone turbo and they don't do turbos on the GT3 or GT4 (reserved for GT2 only) so they need a naturally aspirated motor, the only place left to get it is from the GT3, but again, it won't be with all the GT3 goodies on it but highly detuned....

·
Registered
525 Posts
The new GT4 motor will have as much in common with the new GT3 motor as the last GT4 motor had in common with the last GT3 motor, namely the block and a few accessories. There is no way the GT4 is getting the custom GT3 heads and valve train. The problem is that when the first GT4 came out the 911S was still naturally aspirated, now it has gone turbo and they don't do turbos on the GT3 or GT4 (reserved for GT2 only) so they need a naturally aspirated motor, the only place left to get it is from the GT3, but again, it won't be with all the GT3 goodies on it but highly detuned....
So where do they get the non-GT3 parts from? I see what you're saying but if they want to make another GT4 and keep it NA they are going to have to break with tradition somewhere. There are no currently manufacturered parts in the bin that would turn a GT3 engine into a non-GT3 engine so they'd have to make them just for the GT4 in that case.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
So where do they get the non-GT3 parts from? I see what you're saying but if they want to make another GT4 and keep it NA they are going to have to break with tradition somewhere. There are no currently manufacturered parts in the bin that would turn a GT3 engine into a non-GT3 engine so they'd have to make them just for the GT4 in that case.
No I'm assuming they'll use the standard 911 engine heads like last time, the blocks are still the 9A1 blocks I believe, in essence stripping the turbos from the turbo engines and changing pistons etc. Otherwise if they use the full gt3 engine it will be too easy to hack and reverse any artificial detuning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ya never know. Depends on how much they think they can get for the car. The GTE car is mid-engine and it looks as though the GT3 (racing designation) will be based on the GTE. So... if they can stick the GT3 engine in a GT4, detune and charge a double-boat-load price for the cars, they might do. Times are changing. We're even talking hybrid 911's (!!!). Wow, I feel old...

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
No way GT4 gets the full GT3 motor.. as far as getting the necessary "parts"... i'd bet that logistics planned for this and booked out nice quantity of any NA parts that were needed... For sure the 718 GT4 was on a planning chart from the beginning... not hard to build a 5 year plan. I'm betting there are a nice list of "special editions" for this and that already on the books/plans and will systematically roll them out over the next several years..

D

·
Registered
525 Posts
as far as getting the necessary "parts"... i'd bet that logistics planned for this and booked out nice quantity of any NA parts that were needed...
I'll take that bet any time. Porsche doesn't stockpile thousands of cylinder heads years in advance. They just don't sign off on models that far into the future and efficient mass production of cars just doesn't work like that.

I don't know what they will end up doing, it will have to be creative either way, but they're not going to use old stockpiled parts because they don't exist.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
^^ agree. I've been to both of Porsche's factories in Germany (Stuttgart and Leipzig). Porsche uses Just-in-time for their supply chain. Few company's like having inventory sitting around depreciating (or corroding).

It's economical just to put the GT3 engine in the GT4/Spyder (as is) and then detune the engine.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Why does it have to be de-tuned? Serious question: why wouldn’t they just put out a GT4 at the same price point as a GT3? I would think that the cars would appeal to different audiences and if Porsche makes the same profit who cares? The current GT4 seemed to suggest people would be willing to pay a premium for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I hope this never happens... because then I may have to consider it! :hilarious:

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,901 Posts
Why does it have to be de-tuned? Serious question: why wouldn’t they just put out a GT4 at the same price point as a GT3? I would think that the cars would appeal to different audiences and if Porsche makes the same profit who cares? The current GT4 seemed to suggest people would be willing to pay a premium for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Why, because the GT cars are built to compete in different racing classes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: chows4us

·
Registered
256 Posts
Got to love PAG for things like this and the GT division - last true enthusiasts who give a hoot about old hardcore guys like us who want NA engines and MTs. If I can afford one when it comes out, might have to trade in my 981 or add it next to her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Porsche really have no other option but to install the GT3 engine.
GT4 racing has grown competitive with strong cars. Porsche needs to up the GT4 power or risk running at the back of the pack in global motorsports.

a detuned GT3 engine is most likely. 420-430hp. Smaller throttle body etc.... Typical GT4 ball cutting like before.

It might be just what the cayman needs to be competitive for 2019.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Porsche really have no other option but to install the GT3 engine.
GT4 racing has grown competitive with strong cars. Porsche needs to up the GT4 power or risk running at the back of the pack in global motorsports.

a detuned GT3 engine is most likely. 420-430hp. Smaller throttle body etc.... Typical GT4 ball cutting like before.

It might be just what the cayman needs to be competitive for 2019.
I think the current GT4 is plenty competitive when classed appropriately, but not so much when classed with cars that have 100+ more HP :) Porsche should also make more suspension tweaks, much the way private race teams and owners have to make additional improvements in lap times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I was at a Porsche Certified body shop yesterday, having some scratches (self-inflicted) polished out of my roof, and I spent the time in their race shop. They had 4 GT4's in there, 3 for major body damage work, one being turned back to stock from track set-up so the owner can sell it, plus a couple of 911 GT3 race cars. Seems the GT4 is the car of choice unless you have mega-mega bucks. GT4 just requires mega-bucks.;-)

The carnage was pathetic, one had a damaged PDK unit and the replacement was on order from Porsche Germany for $26,000. Seems slamming into hard objects with the rear wheels can do bad things to the transaxle. Who knew?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was at a Porsche Certified body shop yesterday, having some scratches (self-inflicted) polished out of my roof, and I spent the time in their race shop. They had 4 GT4's in there, 3 for major body damage work, one being turned back to stock from track set-up so the owner can sell it, plus a couple of 911 GT3 race cars. Seems the GT4 is the car of choice unless you have mega-mega bucks. GT4 just requires mega-bucks.;-)

The carnage was pathetic, one had a damaged PDK unit and the replacement was on order from Porsche Germany for $26,000. Seems slamming into hard objects with the rear wheels can do bad things to the transaxle. Who knew?
You must have been at the shop doing my clubsport. lol
I think there are 4 clubsports being repaired from the 2017 season at the shop with my car. One had a damaged PDK box.

My clubsport last year had an impact with the armco at daytona. One of the suspension arms cracked a hole into the PDK case. Sucks, because the transmission only had 4000 track miles. (unlike the Cup car, the clubsport engine and transmission do not require 50-100 hour time out rebuilds.)

The Clubsports have ABS, ESC and TC. That allows most drivers to drive aggressive at 10/10ths. And at 10/10ths, things happen as you can see at the body shop. :)

The Cup cars are harder to drive above 7/10ths unless you are well seasoned.

The benefit of the clubsport is all the electronic driver aids. But when they are switched off you are on your own. And the rear tires are not as wide as the cup car so traction varies.
At Daytona, the banking dosnt allow for the ESC to work. And if you forget to turn it off, you will get TC failure too. This has claimed alot of clubsports in 2016-2017....

When you become used to drivers aids, it is a little harder to drive without them unless you are well seasoned.

By rights, we should be driving the clubsports with the aids turned off to better prepare for the Cup car. But the aids allow you to run like a super hero and it feels too good to turn them off! lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.