Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I have been lurking around on here since February, finally pulled the trigger on ordering my GTS end of May, took delivery on the evening of October 26.

I was hoping to introduce myself with the customary ‘just took delivery’ photos of the new car, but alas, my new car experience has been somewhat different:

The first day I noticed ‘squeaking’ noises front left – poking around the wheel well I spotted plastic shipping block ties that had been left curled around one of the dampers. Nothing new I guess, told the dealer October 28, took it in October 29, they removed them, they apologised, all good.

October 30, I reported to my dealer a knocking noise front-left, which is best replicated during slow speed u-turns, but is also present during general tight cornering.

I took the car in to the dealer, November 1, the mechanic came out with me, also drove the car himself, replicated the knocking, agreed it was ‘not right’. He put the car on a ramp, had a look round, nothing obvious. He proposed I try a few more km’s on the off chance it’s something that just hasn’t settled down yet during run-in.

November 8, knocking still present, I returned to the dealer and they received the car to investigate the issue further, following another test drive and further agreeing that the knocking was not correct.

November 17, dealer advised they suspect it is the ABS control unit and that they sent a ‘sound recording file’ of the knocking and software data to PAG. PAG advised to replace the ABS control unit. Aside, the dealer told me that when pressing very lightly on the brake pedal (enough to activate the rear brake light), the knocking does not occur, further pointing to an issue with the ABS control unit, software and/or brake light switch.

November 27, dealer receives replacement ABS control unit part from PAG and fits it. The dealer later advises that this hasn’t changed the knocking and that he’s awaiting further advisory from PAG.

December 1, dealer calls to advise that PAG need ‘a few days’ to look at the issue further (they are looking at the ABS control unit that came out of my car that was sent back to PAG), but that I can happily collect the car if I choose, as the ‘fault’ does not affect the safety or performance of the car.

I collected the car today (with knocking) and now await to hear back.

Other issues: Steering wheel surround has ‘snapped’ where it clips together – dealer has ordered a new one. The right door speaker squeaks/rattles, there is a 'zizzing' rattle under the centre console somewhere at higher rpms, and there is a ‘chirp’ from the rear over certain bumps. Actually, none of these things bother me, that's Porsche, just the knocking issue of course.

My Porsche dealer and service department have been very good, apologetic and pro-active in trying to resolve the knocking issue.

The car is otherwise wonderful/incredible.

So, that’s my ‘introduction’, nice to meet you all, I live in Dubai (past 8 years), I’m English, ummm, has anyone else had a similar issue?!

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I don't have a GTS but those don't sound like GTS specific issues so I will answer. I have had two 987s and one 981S. I had a strut replaced on a 987 but other than that they have been problem free cars. I hate to hear what you are going through but I am sure that you will get everything fixed.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
K so the issue is that the shipping block in the suspension they left in damages the suspension. Why are they replacing ABS module.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
K so the issue is that the shipping block in the suspension they left in damages the suspension. Why are they replacing ABS module.
That's the first thing I thought. ABS? Does that stand for A Bad Suspension part? :)

How about a loose strut mount or control arm? Maybe a loose caliper or even wheel lugs?? I assumed they checked all that out? ABS seems like a very odd place to start, but they must have a reason...

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
My dealer left my shipping blocks in also and I didn't notice for a year until I got the car up on a lift for an oil change. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the seals on the damper.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Bausse 9! I feel really sorry for you. I was trying to put myself in your shoes while reading your post and just thought that this must be a kind of disapointment, especially after such a long wait to take delivery of the car. But as gfspencer said, the dealer will certainly fix the problem. BTW, did you buy the car @ Al Nabooda or in Abu Dhabi (Ali & Sons)? May be we could have a ride together when all your problems are behind you?

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Buying a car from a showroom is something, but ordering and waiting is something else. And having these things to start with your fulfilled dream is a nightmare.

I'm sorry for you... please keep us posted.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow, sorry for your troubles. I echo what others have said and hope you get it all sorted out.

My CGTS has a little over 2K miles and has had an annoying buzz at around 2000 rpm since I got it. As best I can tell, it's emanating from somewhere in the frunk under the shelf where the battery is. Since it's not an engine bearing and probably just a hose or something slightly out of place vibrating against the chassis, I haven't taken it in to the dealer yet. Drives me nuts sometimes, though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all, here’s the closure on this.

PAG have confirmed that the noise is ‘normal’ – it’s the PTV activating (i.e the ABS pump), even on slow u-turns.

So, a bit of fuss about nothing really...

However, I'm surprised PAG took so long to confirm. You’d have thought they’d know, rather than instructing my dealer to change the ABS pump (and inspecting my unit back in Germany).

Anyway, happy its sorted.

As a minimum I hope this helps anyone else with PTV who might wonder about it too.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
PTV causing noise on turns! How unpleasant, really.

Is it a noise you can live with? Is it embarrassing? is it something you hear from inside the car only? Or do pedestrians hear it too?

I hope others with PTV can confirm this issue too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had PTV in my Boxster S, I heard nothing and I am sensitive on noises.

Only when going out of narrow parking lots backwards with fill turned wheels. But this came from the tires not the PTV.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car does a clunking noise but only when it's cold outside I am told its tires scrubbing but I think it's diff noise, you be the judge from my in car video. My car drives fine no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
This sounds like tire skip / slip due to the suspension set-up - mine does it all the time on tight, slow turns [more so in cold weather] and I would have freaked out if I hadn't read numerous threads here on this very subject.

Sometimes I find this place way more informative than any dealer visit....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tires skip when hard over in a turn, especially backing down my driveway. No PTV noises on my CGTS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, guys.

I’ve spoken to the dealer again to question PAG’s response and that test driving another GTS is the only real way to confirm.

My dealer advises that PAG have replicated the noise in other PTV-equipped GTS’s and that this is specific to Manual cars, as the PTV/brake/brake-light switch set-up is different to PDK.

My dealer has test-driven a PDK GTS and confirms no noise. However, there isn’t yet another Manual GTS in the UAE to try...

The dealer also tells me that PAG are writing a ‘letter response’ to me to explain the noise.

All sounds a bit weird. Why would PAG need to go out and replicate the noise themselves? Didn’t they know about it?!

I would welcome feedback from other PTV, Manual, GTS owners.

This is a mechanical knocking, not tyre shuffle.

It does very much sound like ABS pump activation, so I can believe this explanation, but I am still ‘surprised’ it occurs at low u-turn speeds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts