Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Hoping to soon be an official member of the Cayman club. Been in love with this car since first seeing it at the 2006 Auto Show in Phila, and finally about ready to buy one. I've been doing all of my research and feel 90% informed and prepared for the adventure, though I do have a question I'm hoping you guys can help with.

As much as I want to go 987.2/PDK, the current costs are still just out of my reach. But I've recently come across a very well equipped '08 CS/6 speed that has caught my eye. It has high mileage (140k+) which at this point I'm not sure is a blessing or a curse. Owner seems legit knowledgeable and respectable. Had an honest conversation and the car appears to be solid. Of course the one major concern I have is bore scoring, especially as the engine is up there in miles. I plan on doing a PPI because what lunatic wouldn't? But the only comment that has me on edge is that it does burn some oil, about a quart per 1,000 miles. I'm aware of the manual stating that's well within the 600 mile spec, but also aware many burn none at all. So my question is, assuming the AOS is sorted, does any burning of oil mean there is at least some cylinder wall damage? Trying not to fall into the internet panic, but before sending to PPI I just want to know if it's a warning sign I should take as the countdown has started...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Using oil isn't specific to cylinder walls, for example worn piston rings will also make the engine use oil, worn valve guides too so without a scope I think simply assuming it's scoring is a leap. In general, I prefer a lower mileage example than what you're looking at, I believe that is even more true if the car is financed; (what's it going to be in two years). Additionally, we tend to think engine more than other systems but remember EVERYTHING has 140K usage on it, (synchronizers) that could add up quickly if you are not wrenching on it. It could also be a great car to enjoy for more years, in that mileage range it's a toss up.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
1,006 Posts
I’d say your closer to a 20-25k rebuild than not. Unless you can or have the means to do all the work on this car it’s probably not the best example… what’s the budget? S or standard?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Boris. Well aware of the issue of total wear at that mileage, so will certainly pay attention to small details during testing. PPI should also hopefully give me any warnings of bushings and the like. Will just buy outright to avoid financing, and fingers crossed 987 values hold or increase over the coming years. Talked to specialty shop today and he feels scoping #6,5 and 4 seems like a logical step, then making the call if opposing side is needed or not. Also states that some burning could be several reasons and not particular to scoring, but I'm just trying to set my expectations. As far as maintenance, I'm quite handy and will be doing all possible DYI's in the garage. Just recently swapped my blown CT200h engine for a gen 4 Toyota in the garage, so hopefully Cayman maintenance isn't quite as involved. :)

Again, appreciate the info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d say your closer to a 20-25k rebuild than not. Unless you can or have the means to do all the work on this car it’s probably not the best example… what’s the budget? S or standard?
Is that based on mileage or oil burning? Obviously that's the big concern, that a lower entry price will cost 5x in the long run. Would consider a base PDK, but prefer S if 06'-08', which is quite silly considering the 2.7 appears to be the safer bet. But logic... As far as price, under $25k I can start to play now. For the $10k bump to'09, I'd first at least look at base 981. But This car is loaded which means less aftermarket items. I'm a bit exhausted on the constant upgrades and just want to enjoy for a change.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I think the big picture in general tells me it might end up costing some cash… however I’ve seen some lower mileage cars do the same… I’m just letting you know that this isn’t some toyota 2500.00 motor swap… they cost a lot to rebuild. Just making sure you know the real life risk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, I'm very well aware and why I'm asking here and getting a scope done. If there's any indication of cylinder wear, I'm out as the replacement engine would equal the value of the car. I'm very much in the would love to own camp atm, not the need to buy camp. So just doing my due diligence before the next step. I've seen people showing more miles on their cars without issues, and would ideally prefer one with half the miles, but the market and my bank account aren't exactly lined up for that possiblity right now. I guess the ultimate question is, if the car feels solid, has had all the major maintenance items addressed, and shows no scoring, is it just as safe as a car with less miles with no scoring?

·
Registered
193 Posts
No, at the end of the day, it's a Porsche with 140,000+ miles. Not saying it doesn't have any life left in it, but even well maintained, it's useful life isn't going to the be the same as one with half the miles. I've had several German cars (2 BMW's, MB, and currently an Audi), and hands down, my BB is screwed together much better than the others. That being said, it will never provide the reliability that my daily driver 10 year old Honda does. YMMV.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I've gone the German route many times over (6 BMWs and 2 MBs) and the wife is currently running a 958 Diesel, so I'm all too versed in the concerns as mileage increases. Yet like a maniac, I'm still intrigued. I'm keeping the CT200 as my DD as it's just insanely practical and I want to keep dog hair out of any Cayman. That said, this would easily be my highest mileage purchase to date and I'm definitely weighing the risks. Just get to a point where all you read is horror stories and trying to decipher if that's just internet info or plausible reality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up. That's an interesting comparison. Half the miles, half the options and about $5k more, but half the miles... Not much further than the other car either, so certainly worth looking into them both.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. That's an interesting comparison. Half the miles, half the options and about $5k more, but half the miles... Not much further than the other car either, so certainly worth looking into them both.
What options doesn’t it have? More options = more issues sometimes..

·
Registered
28 Posts
well I’d keep looking…. I couldn’t care abo all those bells and whistles… 6sp, leather and 3.4
Is all I need..
That's the way I'm looking to approach my search. Manual transmission is a must. No black or yellow exterior, no tan interior. Don't care if it's Base or S. Sport seats and PASM would be nice, but not essential. Everything else is inconsequential.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That's the way I'm looking to approach my search. Manual transmission is a must. No black or yellow exterior, no tan interior. Don't care if it's Base or S. Sport seats and PASM would be nice, but not essential. Everything else is inconsequential.
there are plenty around for sale…

·
Registered
246 Posts
Unless the car was available for very short money, I wouldn't touch a high mileage Porsche. You'll be spending all your disposable income fixing the wear and tear that the previous owners accumulated over all those miles. Save you money until you can get something with far less mileage, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That’s what I was trying to say… if your on a budget and want a fabulous handling sports car with HP potential I always tell people … MR2… motors are 1-2k lol or…
Save your pennies

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hear you guys, and I'm listening, trust me. My current situation is I have a small deposit on the car (private seller), but the scope isn't scheduled until Dec 2nd. I told him in the mean time to sell the car if someone wants it's first, and he has people looking. I'm half hoping someone buys it tbh. If so, I'll keep my eyes open, but will only look at Base models as the hp isn't really the selling point to me. I can still walk at any time, and I might. But at the price and the options on this car, I figure it's at least worth a cylinder scope.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He sold the car before I could scope and ppi it. What a relief! haha

Seriously, thanks for all the input everyone. Will continue looking and test out a base model as I'm wondering if the extra hp is worth the fear of scoring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts